Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Heros

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I'm not in the least appalled or offended by dusty's rant. Sticks and stones may break my bones....etc etc etc.

If she's any sort of reasonable person she'll realise that we were acting on Walter's behalf who clearly felt badly done to, and if its all down to a misunderstanding, then its good that we've managed to get it sorted. Without the "usual, negative, snidey nonsense from the usual posters" the problem would have gone unresolved.

Miles has acted perfectly properly by ensuring the Council "addresses any matters which need resolving and makes sure everyone with initial ideas are included."
Well if you think her rant is reasonable, fair enough,thats your opinion, I don't.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well if you think her rant is reasonable, fair enough,thats your opinion, I don't.
Me neither
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not sure that was my meaning. I think I was trying to bring some calm to the discussion.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29   #49
Resting in Peace

Re: Heroes

Quote:
Not sure that was my meaning. I think I was trying to bring some calm to the discussion.
Ya should have been a politician gynn
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Having read the thread and watched it develop, I would say the thread had been reasonably calm under the circumstances, until she decided to put everyone in their place.

Don't you just love a volunteer that goes on about volunteering as if life should give extra brownie points?
I prefer the many ordinary folk that do equally if not greater works of charity without any wish to shout about it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:59   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I'm not in the least appalled or offended by dusty's rant. Sticks and stones may break my bones....etc etc etc.

If she's any sort of reasonable person she'll realise that we were acting on Walter's behalf who clearly felt badly done to, and if its all down to a misunderstanding, then its good that we've managed to get it sorted. Without the "usual, negative, snidey nonsense from the usual posters" the problem would have gone unresolved.

Miles has acted perfectly properly by ensuring the Council "addresses any matters which need resolving and makes sure everyone with initial ideas are included."
Quote:
The thing is gynn,far as i'm concerned the thread was calm, And the snidey nonesense seems to be the case, fer some people who have n opposing view, n don't like a spade being called a spade,Well if thats how some are tough!! I don't have time fer folk like that.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18   #52

Re Part of Cashmans comments is " Regulars are people that keep Forums going "NOT' part timers"

Does this mean that being one of the "part timers" that I have nothing to offer. All I can say is about the vein that runs through most of the comments on Heroes is petty jealousies - why don't you all "pull together" in ensuring that any celebration of the PALS are a success and share anything that makes it a success and any glory that may come fdrom your imput - otherwise take your bat and ball home. its like my Mum used to say "if you can't say anything nice/good about someone - keep it shut".
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:26   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Re Part of Cashmans comments is " Regulars are people that keep Forums going "NOT' part timers"

Does this mean that being one of the "part timers" that I have nothing to offer. All I can say is about the vein that runs through most of the comments on Heroes is petty jealousies - why don't you all "pull together" in ensuring that any celebration of the PALS are a success and share anything that makes it a success and any glory that may come fdrom your imput - otherwise take your bat and ball home. its like my Mum used to say "if you can't say anything nice/good about someone - keep it shut".
Not at all Keith,twas a comment to the unnecessary rant, the quote of which i highlighted, or was that too hard to grasp? By the way is it not petty jumping to stupid conclusions?

Last edited by cashman; 03-08-2012 at 07:33.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Sometime there nothing worth being nice about
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41   #55

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
All I can say is about the vein that runs through most of the comments on Heroes is petty jealousies - why don't you all "pull together" in ensuring that any celebration of the PALS are a success and share anything that makes it a success and any glory that may come fdrom your imput - otherwise take your bat and ball home. its like my Mum used to say "if you can't say anything nice/good about someone - keep it shut".
Ah..but someone spent a great deal of effort making that bat and ball, and others want to play with them without letting him participate. The owner is proud of his shiny bat and ball, doesn't mind sharing but, flat out refuses to just mark the scoreboard whilst the others get all the wags and groupies. He puts his bat and ball back in his bag. The others know they have a game to play and now have to do it using a stick, a stone and some wickets made with 'sticky backed plastic'.

Somehow I doubt that the bloke with the bat and ball with have any problems getting a game elsewhere.

And my mum used to say "if you throw stones you'll have someones eye out"
Old 03-08-2012, 12:16   #56
I am Banned

[quote=Guinness;1006796]Ah..but someone spent a great deal of effort making that bat and ball, and others want to play with them without letting him participate. The owner is proud of his shiny bat and ball, doesn't mind sharing but, flat out refuses to just mark the scoreboard whilst the others get all the undeserved Glory.
I've slightly altered your post to bring it more in line with what appears to me to be going on.
From what I've learned so far about that meeting & some of those present, they are glory hunters, legends in their own minds, "couldn't have done it without me types". I've had dealings with them before.

Could some one please explain why I should spend 1000's of hours researching, 100's of quids on computers & accessories, 100's of pounds travelling round the country, to various libraries & records offices, then just hand it free to self serving glory hunters.
Those who pretend to be experts, who just parrot Bills books on the Pals, add embellishments, and fool folk into thinking they know it all.

Bill & I have had to put up with them for years, and I'm not prepared to cooperate with them to the extent of handing over all this work.

I've been to Pen & Swords the publishers of Bills Books, they tell me my work is unsaleable, they would need to sell a minimum of 300 copies to break even, and 400 pages of mainly family history & pictures of the men who fought & died while serving in the 11th East Lancs (Accrington Pals), won't sell enough copies.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-08-2012 at 12:24.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 16:08   #57

This must be published, and on this basis, if we can guarantee the sale of 300 copies, it would seem that this can go ahead. I hereby pledge to buy one, and pay in advance. We need another 299 people to pm Walter on a similar basis.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 17:22   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
This must be published, and on this basis, if we can guarantee the sale of 300 copies, it would seem that this can go ahead. I hereby pledge to buy one, and pay in advance. We need another 299 people to pm Walter on a similar basis.
Count me in too 298
Old 03-08-2012, 17:30   #59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Count me in too 298
...and me. 297.
Old 03-08-2012, 17:37   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

296 i would love one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..