Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2012, 20:05   #1
I am Banned

Heros

Saw this in todays Lancs Tel.
That looks like it will attract a lot of flies (experts) as in ex spurt, a drip under pressure. Any body know who these cabinet councillors are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lancs T. 27-07-2012-PALS.jpg (63.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-07-2012 at 20:10.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2012, 20:21   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Heros

Surely it's a good thing that the lads & their families of a bygone era are remembered & honoured for their efforts & sacrifices. As long as they stick to facts & consult those who are knowledgeable in the subject it can only be a good thing that the next generations can carry the memories forward.
Old 27-07-2012, 20:52   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Surely it's a good thing that the lads & their families of a bygone era are remembered & honoured for their efforts & sacrifices. As long as they stick to facts & consult those who are knowledgeable in the subject it can only be a good thing that the next generations can carry the memories forward.
Can't argue with that, the only thing is how will they know the difference, there are some who have so much gob, they can fool the uninitiated into thinking they are the real experts.
Bill & I had to put up with them for years.
Old 27-07-2012, 21:12   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye, valid point, but again it comes down to consultation. If they really want to make this work, they need to be asking questions now as to reliable sources.
Old 28-07-2012, 00:36   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Any body know who these cabinet councillors are.
Yes it was published last month.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...net_Groups.pdf

See Appendix 3 Page 6.

2 Labour Cabinet Members (Miles and Wendy)
1 Conservative Group Nominee
1 Independents nominee
Mrs Turner, widow of Bill Turner
Representatives of British Legion
Representatives of Other Groups, at the discretion of the Chair

Last edited by gynn; 28-07-2012 at 00:38.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:14   #6
Resting in Peace

Re: Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

See Appendix 3 Page 6.

1 Independents nominee
Seems pretty fair to me, but I would certainly have involved Walter on that list, his knowledge is second to none on the subject and shouldn't be ignored
Old 28-07-2012, 15:06   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

See Appendix 3 Page 6.

1 Independents nominee
I heard from Ruth Turner last week, that she had been invited to attend a meeting, but they forgot to tell her the time had changed, and she arrived 40 mins late, she said there were over dozen people in the room, she still doesn't know what their intentions are, by her reckoning no one else in the room had any real knowledge of the Pals. She only knew two of those present. What are the British Legion doing there any way, they are, after the cockup they made of Oswaldtwistle's memorial plaques, 3 spelling mistakes, 2 double entries. 4 errors (shouldn't be on) and two men who survived.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-07-2012 at 15:16.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:08   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I heard from Ruth Turner last week, that she had been invited to attend a meeting, but they forgot to tell her the time had changed, and she arrived 40 mins late, she said there were over dozen people in the room, she still doesn't know what their intentions are, by her reckoning no one else in the room had any real knowledge of the Pals.
She only knew two of those present.
Seems in keeping Walter, what do you expect, from a bunch of know it alls
Old 28-07-2012, 15:10   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I heard from Ruth Turner last week, that she had been invited to attend a meeting, but they forgot to tell her the time had changed, and she arrived 40 mins late, she said there were over dozen people in the room, she still doesn't know what their intentions are, by her reckoning no one else in the room had any real knowledge of the Pals.
She only knew two of those present.
Makes me think they didn't tell her deliberately, then again i'm a cynical get.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:23   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nout cynical about it cashy it par for the course
Old 28-07-2012, 15:25   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Nout cynical about it cashy it par for the course
That aint come as a great shock.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:30   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well you may have a point, she was the only one late.
They didn't invite me either, and those two semi experts that Ruth saw there certainly know of me.
Bill & I had discussed this when we put on the 90th aniversary at the Haworth in 2006, I've been collecting Items for a display in 2016, I've also got a mate living in France who's prepared to act for me over there, plus I know people who put on displays at Thiepval Memorial, who I've provided pictures and info for in the past, I'm sure they would be pleased to help. Bill and I didn't need the council in 2006, so why do I need them now.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:37   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
They didn't invite me either, and those two semi experts that Ruth saw there certainly know of me.
Bill & I had discussed this when we put on the 90th aniversary at the Haworth in 2006, I've been collecting Items for a display in 2016, I've also got a mate living in France who's prepared to act for me over there, plus I know people who put on displays at Thiepval Memorial, who I've provided pictures and info for in the past, I'm sure they would be pleased to help. Bill and I didn't need the council in 2006, so why do I need them now.
The simple fact,they trailed n owd lass down fer nowt, Does "NOT" inspire confidence in the competence in these people, as far as i'm concerned.
Old 29-07-2012, 04:45   #14
Senior Member+

Looks like there are 2 questions for the Councillors on this site to answer or investigate.

1. Why was Mrs Turner shown so much disrespect over the timing of the meeting?

2. Why has Walter not been included, given that he is the acknowledged expert on the PALS?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 08:24   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Walter you know as well as I do, there's no show without Punch

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..