Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 22:27   #241
Give, give, give member

Re: hey up snows coming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Beginning to get very annoyed now, nowhere does it mention on the following metcheck weather warning the name Accrington. Is it going to happen or not?

Forecasters Warning

-- Sleet, Snow & Ice --

Areas Affected: England & Wales

This is an update to the earlier issued Severe Weather Watch.

Confidence is growing for a significant spell of snow across England and Wales especially during the course of Thursday. While there remains uncertainties, primarily because of what is a very complex meteorological event, confidence is now high enough to increase the Weather Watch to an Advanced Weather Warning.

An approaching low pressure and its associated surface frontal zones will approach England and Wales from the West - Southwest during the early hours of Thursday. This area of sleet and snow will then progress Northwards during the day bringing some prolonged and significant snow anywhere from the M4 corridor Northwards especially. The Northern extent of where the snow will progress to still has some uncertainty surrounding it, but at the moment it would seem as though it will reach Southern parts of Northern England.

Exact amounts of snow still remain hard to comment on and further information over the coming days is certainly needed but there is scope for several centimeters of snow, especially over higher ground. Winds will also be on the increase with a moderate to strong Southeasterly wind developing bringing the risk of drifting snow, especially over high ground.

Further updates to follow...
They said on the BBC weather, after the news tonight, that snow might get as far north as Cheshire, and it now says on the BBC local weather site, sunny until Saturday, when they'd earlier forecast heavy snow for tomorrow and Thursday.

They at least get the names of the days of the week right.

I think I'll put my faith in my trusty pine cone, it's more accurate.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2007, 08:04   #242
Resident Waffler

Blame me Rindy - every time they keep forcasting snow I keep praying it won't! I have doctors appointments and things but if it snows I can't get there because I can't walk when it's slippery. It takes me all my time to balance when there isn't ice and snow!

I've just had a nasty letter telling me off for not attending the hospital last week but they'd never even notified me of the appointment. Maybe you're supposed to be telepathic these days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 13:21   #243
God Member

well tonights the night folks ........or so they say .....AGAIN...............
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 15:03   #244
Resting in Peace

yeah yeah yeah yeah .....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 15:06   #245
God Member

well scarborough has got it as we speak.........so fingers crossed....
Old 07-02-2007, 15:16   #246
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
well scarborough has got it as we speak.........so fingers crossed....
Fingers crossed????? Why would anyone want it to snow!!?? I hate it!! Its awful. Anyway how long has this thread been going and have we seen any?? NO!! You dont really wanna trust weathermen (or women!)
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 15:19   #247
Resting in Peace

Well if this thread keeps going someone will be right sometime
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 15:20   #248
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Fingers crossed????? Why would anyone want it to snow!!?? I hate it!! Its awful. Anyway how long has this thread been going and have we seen any?? NO!! You dont really wanna trust weathermen (or women!)

heehee calm down lolly snow is great !!!! and its because we dont see much of it we get excited at the thought of some coming our way lmao!!!! but agree on the weathermen/women thing ...lies ...LIES i tell yas but maybe they could be right this time ummmmmmm
Old 07-02-2007, 15:23   #249
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: hey up snows coming!!

What’s all the fuss about a bit of snow? I appreciate that for some people it will make life difficult but its unlikely to last for more than a few days. Imagine living in Norway, Sweden, Finland and central Europe where the packed snow and ice on the roads can be as much as 10 inches thick and last for several weeks.

The last time that it snowed I had over six feet of snow on the path from my front door to the road and it never bothered me. I’ll grant you that it was just one snowflake deep, a yard wide and about 10 feet long.

OK! You get up one morning and look out of the window and see your car (if you have one) resembles a giant snowball. How do you set about getting rid of the snow?

I use a long soft brush and brush the snow onto the kerb. I start with the roof, then the windscreen, then the back window, the bonnet and then the offside doors and windows. Lastly the nearside doors and windows.
Old 07-02-2007, 15:42   #250
Senior Member+

But I wouldnt live in any of them places, because of the simple reason..... I hate Snow!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll on Summer!! I love the Sun!!!

Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 17:04   #251
God Member

Interesting to note that the forcasting site, Metcheck are reporting unusual loads on their server and the Met Office site is "temporarily unavailable". Why is it that the threat of a bit of seasonal weather gets everyone in this country into such a panic?

And... while I am on the subject, Dianne Oxbury (or whatever her name is) who does the forcast on the BBC regional news should be sacked. Many is the time I have listened to her tell us that it is raining, only to look out of the window and find that it is not. Many is the time that I have also noted that she has changed her forecast after the event. On Greater Hamildon we have a weather radar which takes a 360 degree look at precipitation and reports it's findings direct to London, by radio, every fifteen minutes. There is absolutely no excuse for getting the weather forecast for this region wrong as often as she manages to do. If one did not know better one might suspect that she was in the employ of HBC.
Old 07-02-2007, 17:07   #252
God Member

i like snow but i hate having to push a pram in it, it aint easy
Old 07-02-2007, 17:11   #253
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
OK! You get up one morning and look out of the window and see your car (if you have one) resembles a giant snowball. How do you set about getting rid of the snow?
You don't! You get up one morning, look out of the window and see your car resembles a giant snowball ....... smile to yourself that the snowball isn't going anywhere that day because of the snow, so you can hop back into your cosy warm bed for an impromptu lie-in
Old 07-02-2007, 17:12   #254
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i like snow but i hate having to push a pram in it, it aint easy
reece is 10 what is he still doing in a pram ?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 17:16   #255
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
reece is 10 what is he still doing in a pram ?

you fool you knew exactly what i meant, the snow doesnt help with all the babysitting i do and the prams i have to push...guess whats gonna be in your brew the next time you 'visit'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..