Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 22:27   #1
Resident Waffler

Holes

Potholes to be precise.

I used to work with a guy who went down holes at the weekend for fun. Sometimes he went down holes full of water and got soaking wet. Sometimes he squeezed through tiny little gaps and wriggled along narrow passageways which eventually led to larger holes but how did he manage that without getting claustrophobic? I only have to put my head under the low shelf in the dining room and I come out in a cold sweat!

I've just been looking at this well-known undiscovered enormous hole frequented by the potholing fraternty and it occurs to me that there are a lot more holes, tunnels passageways and labyrinths under this sceptred isle than most of us probably even imagine. It's like a flippin gorgonzola cheese down there in places!

So, this global warming malarky where all that water is going to come flooding down from melted icecaps and drown East Anglia - maybe it isn't. Maybe it will just drain away down into the holes.

Just a thought.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2006, 23:35   #2
God Member

Re: Holes

I watched it on the news this morning and I got a shock at the size of it. It looks like a great place to visit but chlostraphobia would stop me even thinking of trying.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:04   #3
Resident Waffler

Me too Spuggie but it's massive inside isn't it?

Old 07-11-2006, 07:26   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Me too Spuggie but it's massive inside isn't it?
That might be a slight understatement. Shows the power of water and what it can do. Maybe its time they found a few along this lines to use as natural water storage tanks in the south east of England. Will wait for the documentery to get a propper look. What man does can do dwarfed nature.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 09:09   #5
God Member

In the past I've jumped from airplanes, skiied, paraglided, raced motorcars and a few other things that people might think a bit reckless but never, ever have I had a desire to squeeze into a tiny hole under ground and nor will I ever get the urge.

The one and only time that I go underground will be in a box! These people are mad - (in my opinion of course!)

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17   #6
Resting in Peace

Me and Anne once went to some caves on a guided tour we squeezed through all the tight places and round all the rough areas with not much problem (anne was pregnant with her first)at the time we had a really good time ,
Then anne tripped up on the tarmac path on the way out (she was fine )
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:27   #7
Resident Waffler

I've been in a few caves - but only ones where you can stand upright!

The stalactite and stalagmite formations are beautiful. Busman and the girls have been in some smaller ones but nothing where you have to wriggle through like a flippin worm like some do!

Old 07-11-2006, 17:04   #8

Ive been in some caves that i had to lie on my back and slide through, i was looking up at this huge boulder pressing down on my rucksack thinking, there's just some places humans arent meant to go !
And as to there being holes and tunnels everywhere,ive heard there's supposed to be loads under accy, in fact i heard that parts of Avenue Parade are sinking! ( could be Plantation st, always get them mixed up)
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 17:47   #9
Resident Waffler

I remember one year when there was a terrific rainfall and the hollow places under Sultan St got filled and then the water all burst up through the cobbles at the bottom, making a little hill with a hole in the top. It was like a volcano.

Old 07-11-2006, 19:54   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I remember one year when there was a terrific rainfall and the hollow places under Sultan St got filled and then the water all burst up through the cobbles at the bottom, making a little hill with a hole in the top. It was like a volcano.
These are the mine tunnels though, aren't they? Not the pot holes you are on about and Nell is probably correct, just about everywhere from Huncoat down.

Heard a potholer remark tonight, you are in more danger on the M1 in the morning than being at risk from this adventerous hobby ... suppose so, but wouldn't really do it myself either .. although do like to visit the 'tourist' caves.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 21:16   #11
Resident Waffler

I don't know what they are Kate. I believe there's underground watercourses.

Old 07-11-2006, 23:13   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Heard a potholer remark tonight, you are in more danger on the M1 in the morning than being at risk from this adventerous hobby ... suppose so, but wouldn't really do it myself either .. although do like to visit the 'tourist' caves.
Tell that to the friend of a bloke I used to work with, he died in a pot holing accident.
Old 07-11-2006, 23:20   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Tell that to the friend of a bloke I used to work with, he died in a pot holing accident.
Oh, sorry Neil, .... gulp, not very tactful was I, but that's what the experienced potholer said, however, think the point still stands. Could say I like driving my car and safer than flying in an aeroplane, then someone coming back with " Tell that to the friend of a bloke I used to work with, he died in a car accident" Don't think you were fair there either. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 23:26   #14
Resident Waffler

Everything is relatively safe except for the person involved in an accident. It's like dangerous sports, they tell you that more people are killed on the road but it still wouldn't encourage me to participate in a dangerous sport.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:23   #15
God Member

I would jump from a plane afore going into a pothole or underground cave.
Dont mind hights hate tight hole especially if they are enclosed.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..