Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2006, 22:58   #1
God Member

House

I've recently discovered the wonders of Hugh Laurie in the tv show House. I love it. His dry wit has me in laughter all the time.

However I find it strange that I prefer his American fake accent to his real English one when he is trying to be funny. I never watched Blackadder properly (yes I know, I'll get round to it sometime), but I watched some episodes of 'A bit of fry and Laurie' and watched him on Saturday Night Live.

Speaking of which, I love Stephen Fry. QI is such a great programme, Fridays at 10:30 if you don't already watch it, basicly a quiz show with a celebrity panel which get points for being 'Quite Interesting', which they usually are!

Last edited by andrewb; 29-11-2006 at 23:05.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2006, 23:30   #2
Resting in peace

Re: House

Quote:
Cyfr. However I find it strange that I prefer his American fake accent to his real English one
They call it a 'midd Atlantic' accent Cyfr,
Quote:
Cyfr. I love Stephen Fry. QI is such a great programme, Fridays at 10:30 if you don't already watch it, basicly a quiz show with a celebrity panel which get points for being 'Quite Interesting', which they usually are!
Very good program compulsive viewing for yours truly, great wit.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 29-11-2006 at 23:35.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 01:16   #3
God Member

re TV show House , only seen it a couple of times , here in the US it's shown on a FOX/Rupert Murdoch channel which I tend to avoid/boycott. What is interesting is to see the contrast between his role in 'House' and his earlier role as 'Bertie Wooster' in Jeeves and Wooster which included Stephen Fry in the role of Jeeves
The acting abilities of British trained actors wins out every time over the American trained pretty boys
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 12:07   #4

Brilliant actor. Enjoy watching it, (when I can get reception).
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:27   #5
Resident Waffler

I haven't seen "House" must look out for that - do love Qi and Stephen Fry is not only very witty but very knowledgable too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:42   #6
God Member

I can recommend watching House. Hugh Laurie is a class act as Dr Gregory House and yet dispite some of the topics being very near to the bone it is done with such elegence its addictive. Yet he is not the perfect doctor and has weaknesses of his own.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 18:19   #7
Resting in Peace

I started off really loving House, but after a few episodes wears rather thin, always the same theme, patient dying of mystery illness, going through the theories of the less senior colleagues, treating these theories, doesnt work, then >>> Eh Bingo ! House may have the correct diagnoses,however, if he is incorrect and the drug to treat such theory is administered, patient could die .. course they never do.

Just wish he would get the limp correct, he holds his walking stick on the same side as his gammy leg, whilst in reality, you always have the walking stick in the opposite hand to support the leg and give you more balance. Not exactly done his homework as an actor methinks.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 18:24   #8
God Member

[quote=katex;343224 Just wish he would get the limp correct, he holds his walking stick on the same side as his gammy leg, whilst in reality, you always have the walking stick in the opposite hand to support the leg and give you more balance. Not exactly done his homework as an actor methinks. [/quote]

Could always strap it on. Besides if it wasnt for these flaws we would have nothing to gripe about. Anyway his charector would do something that way just to rub people up the wrong way.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 18:28   #9
Senior Member+

Haven't seen House but i'm pretty sure he's won a Golden Globe for it, and has been nominated for an Emmy. I've seen clips of it though and it looks brilliant. I love QI though. Its so interesting. I've learnt loads of useless information from it.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..