Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Are you competitive?
Yes 11 68.75%
No 4 25.00%
I'm in the middle or I'm not sure 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 20:44   #31
God Member

Re: How competitive are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Victoria Wood was beaten by the Woman's Weekly.

Over the hostess trolley.

Which must have been painful.

LOL Garinda.....I love it!

'Not meekly, not bleakly, beat me on the bottom with the Woman's Weekly!

Let's do it! Let's do it tonight!'
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2009, 22:10   #32
Loz

I'm competitive when it comes to games and quizzes but wouldn't say i am in other areas of life,personally don't see anything wrong with what flashy did its not like it was a big secret about tesco opening a new store anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 00:41   #33

I am extremely competitive. Nobody expects more from me than myself. I am intelligent and if in 20 years time I am not capable of taking care of the people around me I will have failed.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:43   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
I am intelligent and if in 20 years time I am not capable of taking care of the people around me I will have failed.
A really intelligent person wouldn't have said that.

They would have assumed others would arrive at that conclusion, judged by their actions.

If in twenty years you had a terrible accident, say broke your back in a ski-ing accident, God forbid, I wouldn't label you a failure if you were unable to 'take care of the people around you'.

There's more to life than money.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A really intelligent person wouldn't have said that.

They would have assumed others would arrive at that conclusion, judged by their actions.

If in twenty years you had a terrible accident, say broke your back in a ski-ing accident, God forbid, I wouldn't label you a failure if you were unable to 'take care of the people around you'.

There's more to life than money.
As we both know Rindi you can't legislate for things you have no control over, you can only achieve your own ambitions in life if you get a clear run without interference from outside things you have no control over
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28   #36
Beacon of light

I think that those people who equate succes with money are sorely misled......yes you do need to be able to make ands meet but success is finding something that you love doing and doing it well and getting someone to pay you to do it.......success is being with people you love, and who love you back....success is having time with family, and being healthy enough to enjoy what you are doing......success is like a butterfly...elusive while you are trying to catch it, but when you stop it alights on your finger.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:04   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think that those people who equate succes with money are sorely misled......yes you do need to be able to make ands meet but success is finding something that you love doing and doing it well and getting someone to pay you to do it.......success is being with people you love, and who love you back....success is having time with family, and being healthy enough to enjoy what you are doing......success is like a butterfly...elusive while you are trying to catch it, but when you stop it alights on your finger.

I don't think I equated success with money, and I wouldn't because I didn't come to university knowing how much money lawyers earnt and I still don't understand how much money is a lot and how much is enough and so on.

I wouldn't share something with someone else which is likely to increase my chances of getting my dream job. I didn't with that law competition a few months back and I have no regrets for that. Everyone is able to seek opportunity if they are serious enough about wanting to do something. There are just a great amount of people in this country who think opportunities should be handed to them.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:24   #38
Beacon of light

Although you may not have known exactly how much a lawyer earned, I am pretty sure that you knew that it was a decent amount, more than enough to make ends meet......not that I am saying that you chose Law as a profession because of the money.
Security is also an issue these days in a time of soaring unemployment....unless you choose a career wisely, one which will give you a decent amount of security(which I am pretty sure a career in Law will provide)....so I am also fairly sure you took that into consideration too......but sharing an opportunity to get a job is not a bad thing......it does not mean that the person who shares the information is not competitive, or that that person is lacking in ambition....especially as we are talking about a large company with more than one job being on offer.
In the job market, everyone needs a chance, a foot on the employment ladder......companies want people with experience, but how do you get that unless someone is prepared to give you a chance.........even though you have no experience??

I have been in the position of interviewing people for jobs within the caring profession....and sometimes I have given a chance to someone with no experience of caring (in the professional sense).......it has meant that someone who wants to care is given a chance. Not one of these people disappointed me.......they all rose to the challenge.

So while I don't think that opportunites should just be handed to people(and, by the way, what facts do you have to substantiate your claim that ' a great amount of people in this country think that opportunities should be handed to them'???) I do think that sometimes it pays to take a chance on someone with no proven ability, so that they can get experience of a work environment.
It is always easier to find a job when you are in a job.
Old 11-06-2009, 20:07   #39

You have to be lucky as hell to get well paid job in law if you are working class. Solicitors and legal execs get paid the wages of an average professional in any field and the only way to become a barrister is knowing people in the field.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:12   #40
Beacon of light

I am sure, that once you have a proven track record your salary must reflect this.......I haven't seen many Lawyers in the names of folk filing for bankruptcy.
It is definitely going to be more than that of a Tesco check out operator, and it is going to be far more secure.
Old 11-06-2009, 20:30   #41
God Member

Quote:
You have to be lucky as hell to get well paid job in law if you are working class. Solicitors and legal execs get paid the wages of an average professional in any field and the only way to become a barrister is knowing people in the field.
There is no method of checking what class background you come from on an application form to a law firm.

And it is not true that you only get these jobs by knowing the right people. I have friends graduating this year who are just as working class as anyone on this forum and have successfully got training contracts and pupillages. It is your sort of attitude to the profession that puts people off trying.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:58   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
There is no method of checking what class background you come from on an application form to a law firm.

And it is not true that you only get these jobs by knowing the right people. I have friends graduating this year who are just as working class as anyone on this forum and have successfully got training contracts and pupillages. It is your sort of attitude to the profession that puts people off trying.
Don't be put off.

Look no further than Constance Briscoe to see that barristers and judges can rise to their posts from the most humble beginnings.
Old 11-06-2009, 23:49   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Absolute twaddle.

Becoming a bit of a habit.

I know many Judges and barristers who are from so called working class backgrounds.

It's nothing to do with class, and everything to do with talent.

A bright young thing from a red brick university, and humble origins, will find it much easier to find pupilage in any reputable Chambers, than a chinless wonder with the right accent.

Cherie Blair's doing alright in the money stakes too, for a working class Scouser.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:47   #44
God Member

Quote:
Absolute twaddle.

Becoming a bit of a habit.

I know many Judges and barristers who are from so called working class backgrounds.

It's nothing to do with class, and everything to do with talent.

A bright young thing from a red brick university, and humble origins, will find it much easier to find pupilage in any reputable Chambers, than a chinless wonder with the right accent.

Cherie Blair's doing alright in the money stakes too, for a working class Scouser.
Michelle Obama didn't do all that bad either
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:00   #45
God Member

I'm not all that familiar with Greg Pope, but from what you guys have said and are saying about him, he seems like a regular guy and a good MP ... is it that the good ones are giving up on the whole deal? Why is it that the asshole politicians can handle the immense mounds of bs, while the good ones throw up their hands in disgust and get the hell outa there?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..