Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Are you competitive?
Yes 11 68.75%
No 4 25.00%
I'm in the middle or I'm not sure 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2009, 09:27   #46
God Member

Re: How competitive are you?

When you compete with someone and win, you give them the feeling of being a loser.
Is that really a good thing to do?
Better that you both work together and both achieve success.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2009, 10:03   #47
Senior Member+

I voted yes - cos I am..simple really..
but I am competitive in lots of ways...some daft some I guess...I try to beat my time of cycling home each night from work..so that makes me competitive against me..
and there is nothing wrong at all in being competitive inregards to making a living..like already mentioned - its a dog eat dog world - if its not you then its someone else - and for that reason I would want it to be - everytime..if I dont succeed then at least I tried..
will that make my little best mate competitive as he gets older..it may do but then I guess he will have his mum telling him in his other ear to keep a level head about things..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009, 22:11   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When you compete with someone and win, you give them the feeling of being a loser.
Is that really a good thing to do?
Better that you both work together and both achieve success.
You can't always work with people though. And it does people some good to lose at times. It's the failure that makes people want to improve more often than the successes.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 05:05   #49
God Member

Blazey , a word of advice ......it will probably go over your head , but .....allways be nice to the water boy .......you never know when you will meet him again ....and he has only one way to go ....UP .....and you may meet him again when you are on YOUR way down ...

Last edited by steeljack; 14-06-2009 at 05:11.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 07:50   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Blazey , a word of advice ......it will probably go over your head , but .....allways be nice to the water boy .......you never know when you will meet him again ....and he has only one way to go ....UP .....and you may meet him again when you are on YOUR way down ...
I thought the idea was to be nice to your peers, the people who you interact with in real life. I doubt many members of this forum are actually going to be an active part of my life any time soon, never mind in the future.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:09   #51
Beacon of light

How long have you had that crystal Ball Blazey?

You really do not know who you will meet, or when, and in what circumstances.

It costs nothing at all to be polite and courteous, to have some empathy for others who might just be having a tough time........
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:20   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have.

I see dark clouds, and her future looks bleak.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:21   #53
God Member

Quote:

You really do not know who you will meet, or when, and in what circumstances.

It costs nothing at all to be polite and courteous, to have some empathy for others who might just be having a tough time........
Nearly everyone is having a tough time, we're in the middle of an economic downturn. There isn't actually enough sympathy to go around this world and we cause most of the misery ourselves.

It costs TIME to be empathetic, and I don't think I said anything vile or bad mannered to people, very much unlike the sort of language I receive in anonymous karma.

I don't have these problems on other forums, so I put it down to the narrowmindedness of people from home.

Amy Macdonald has quite a charming song that fits what I think of the people of this forum very well. It's called Youth of Today.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:24   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I have.

I see dark clouds, and her future looks bleak.

Goodness gracious me, give it a rest. You know nowt about me. All you know is what I let you know.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:29   #55
Beacon of light

Aaaah what a shame, poor you.
You do, though, have enough time to be bored and to come on here, and for want of a better word 'Troll' your way through a handful of threads.

You claim not to have any problems on other forums, well I would have to see evidence to sustantiate that before I would find it believable.

And because you believe us to be narrow minded, doesn't make it a fact.
If being broadminded is what you are, then by the evidence that I have seen in these threads.....I certainly do not wish to be like you.

Sorry I do not know Amy Macdonald, so I cannot comment on her song or its lyrics.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:29   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Amy Macdonald has quite a charming song that fits what I think of the people of this forum very well. It's called Youth of Today.
The thing is you're no longer the youth of today.

There's already a new generation of bright young things, that have come along and supplanted you. I'm afraid that's the natural order of things.

Now hurry along and join the queue of youthful has beens.

Old 14-06-2009, 08:30   #57
Beacon of light

Quote:
Goodness gracious me, give it a rest. You know nowt about me. All you know is what I let you know.

and from what you have posted we have 'gathered' quite a lot.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:33   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Have you ever thought we are actually doing what you claim to do?

Aggravating, taking the rise out of, putting salt on a virtual slug, and amusing ourselves at your pitiful expense?

Old 14-06-2009, 08:38   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
and from what you have posted we have 'gathered' quite a lot.
Sadly tis true.

Right from the parental reunion via a trailor park, to what societies were joined at college.

Boring.

The silly twit(ter) generation, who believe the whole world is interested in their hum-drum existence.

She honestly once had the cheek to pm me what she ate for supper!

No one is interested!!!

(It was an apple by the way.)

Old 14-06-2009, 08:50   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
I doubt many members of this forum are actually going to be an active part of my life any time soon, never mind in the future.
I imagine there are one or two on here who are glad to hear you say that..
and to be honest you dont really know for certain if that is going to be true - you dont know which way your life is going to run - all good and well being at uni etc, and doing law - which to be fair is brain rattling, but - and its a big but - you might find in 10 years time that you want to open a shop and sell...wellies and brollys..as you have had enough of pressures of the legal world etc etc... you may have a bit of cash in the bank and think its time for a change..not saying it will happen but you just never know..and you could find that you buyer for your wellies is a member on here - obviously a wild example but I am sure you get the jist of what I am saying...
you dont know what I do for a living so again you cannot say that I wouldnt/couldnt have a part in you life in the future...I could be your bank manager in the future..I would certainley then have a part in you life..
now I may be wrong here but why do you appear to talk down accrington and its people...surely its unfair to prejudge someone just because of where they are from...

other than that this is an interesting thread..regardless of who says what..I dont know blazey so I cant judge her..I can only go off of what she has posted..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..