Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 21:32   #76
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: How could we deal with doggy issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
People would soon start reporting noisy dogs and those fouling the streets if the wardens had the power to remove unlicensed dogs.

Are these owners of illegal dogs never going to take them to the vets if they are ill?

So should we allow dogs owners to allow their dogs to fouls our streets until we have 100% eliminated child abuse?
50 years ago people were public spirited enough to report incidents. Today they are so insular that they look away and grumble to their neighbours, friends and family. Few will confront a dog owner face to face for not cleaning up after their dog.

Nothing quite like putting words in my mouth to enhance your point.
Old 03-02-2009, 21:46   #77
God Member

Re: How could we deal with doggy issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
50 years ago people were public spirited enough to report incidents. Today they are so insular that they look away and grumble to their neighbours, friends and family. Few will confront a dog owner face to face for not cleaning up after their dog..
Hell of a subject to get people interested in Accyweb....you and I were alive fifty years ago and they did'nt give a toss...Nowaday's with the introduction, unchecked, of, speak to me and I will kick your head in it is better to wait until paid employees clean the mess up.
Sorry to be so negative but that's the way it's gone over the years.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 22:00   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I do regularly, when I see a dog performing on the lawn at the front of these flats. I open my window and shout 'If that's crap pick it up'
This usually startles dog owners into action since they thought no-one was about (I am in an upstairs flat)
Once I was told where to go
Good on ya Margaret i dispise people who let their dogs foul in public places and walk on as if nothing offensive has been left.I have to pick up after mine,but thats my choice as i choose to own dogs and everything that comes with them.
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20   #79
Resting in Peace

Only half an hour ago I was washing my breakfast dishes up and saw a couple walking their dogs, they both performed on the grass or snow as it is at the moment, but they both picked up after, when they saw me watching they both just smiled and carried on with the walk
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Only half an hour ago I was washing my breakfast dishes up and saw a couple walking their dogs, they both performed on the grass or snow as it is at the moment, but they both picked up after, when they saw me watching they both just smiled and carried on with the walk
eww...dogs pooing on the grass is bad enough without the owners starting as well

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
eww...dogs pooing on the grass is bad enough without the owners starting as well
Ya daft divil ema
Old 07-02-2009, 19:52   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Whilst I accept that if a child is attacked by a dog it is once too often but when was the last time that such an incident was reported in the press? Compare that to when was the last time that a child was abused.

However this thread is about dogs fouling the streets etc and the means of stopping it.
Well only a few days after this post was made we now have another baby mauled to death by "family dogs". Maybe a stricter criteria for owning dogs is not such a bad idea if only one life is saved due to said criteria.
Old 07-02-2009, 20:22   #83

Yes very sad for the grand parent who was looking after the baby along with the parents.
Wonder now with this being a jack russell alongside a staffie will the powers that be put all jack russels on the DD List.
Old 07-02-2009, 21:00   #84
God Member

All dogs are dangerous if unsupervised around children be they big or small breed. Just because owners deem dogs safe it doesn't mean they are!!
Old 07-02-2009, 21:14   #85
God Member

Any dog has the subconcious instincts of a wolf (from whom they were initially bred)
We don't think like wolves so when that instinct is roused we are unaware of the danger.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 21:56   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
All dogs are dangerous if unsupervised around children be they big or small breed. Just because owners deem dogs safe it doesn't mean they are!!
No it doesnt i trust my dogs 100%but it goes without saying i would never leave any of mine alone around children be it a baby or older children.You just cant look away,but so many ppl think their four legged friends are not capable of attacking.im afraid they are as proved today yet again.
I have a policy when i have a litter i never sell to anyone with children thats me as i would hate to think something i had bred could harm a child or worse.ppl think im daft for doing this but hey ive a conscience.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:16   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
No it doesnt i trust my dogs 100%but it goes without saying i would never leave any of mine alone around children be it a baby or older children.You just cant look away,but so many ppl think their four legged friends are not capable of attacking.im afraid they are as proved today yet again.
I have a policy when i have a litter i never sell to anyone with children thats me as i would hate to think something i had bred could harm a child or worse.ppl think im daft for doing this but hey ive a conscience.

Interesting post that. You trust them 100% but not on their own with children
Old 08-02-2009, 10:29   #88
Senior Member+

I'd like to say how glad i am that most of the snow has now dissappeared from the side streets. However having walked along Cambridge Street this morning to get my papers from the Spar i could'nt believe the ammount of dog muck there is on the pavements there, obviously a lot of this had previously been hidden by the white stuff, ive never noticed it to be this bad before, so i assume most of the dogs owners think their dogs crapping on snow is acceptable. You cant walk 2 or 3 metres on there at the moment without encountering a turd!! (No Political Jokes please)!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:38   #89
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Maybe they have a lot of 'fair weather' dog owners in the area.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Interesting post that. You trust them 100% but not on their own with children
Neil if you wish to be pedantic and pull my post to bits i can assure you i trust mine 100% with children/adults pensioners etc,but i cannot trust them if my back is turned our in a seperate room and there are children.kids like dogs are unpredictable what if to use as a example one child suddenly startles one,i own big dogs and one being larger than average is quite boisterous but thats the breed in him.he could easily knock a child over the child only needs to bang its head and there we have a accident which has involved one of my dogs.I was out of the room and didnt see it,where do i stand with the Law i tell ya they would investigate me and most probably remove the dog.
I have countless pictures of mine playing with children only this week my youngest dog was out sledging with the neighbours children,but i was out there in the cold and snow with him.So thats why i can say i trust mine 100%,but as a responsible dog owner i would never leave one of mine alone with any child.I love my dogs i am not going to put their lives at risk along with a child.You cannot take that risk.perhaps thats just me but i would protect my dogs like people who have children protect them.
So hence thats why i said i do trust mine 100% but i would never leave them alone around children its a risk i am not willing to take a childs life is precious and i couldnt live with myself if any of the dogs i own hurt a child.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..