Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2009, 12:15   #16
God Member

Re: How Important is T'internet

I remember that Bernadette, it was very quiet!
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2009, 12:17   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I remember that Bernadette, it was very quiet!
Oiy cheeky
Old 17-06-2009, 13:30   #18
Beacon of light

Whilst I think the internet is important, it isn't essential, unless of course it is how you gather business.
I reckon the vast majority of us on here could survive without our internet access, and it wouldn't be a happy expereince I am sure....I don't think we would survive without access to clean water.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:05   #19
God Member

Internet is cheaper than books. Books cost more money. Brown brainwashes us to accept the internet is a better resource than books and the next thing you know they'll be cutting funds to our local libraries.

My studies would be ten times harder without the internet. It makes my life a lot easier... but saying that, if I'd never had internet to begin with then I'd probably not even have had the knowledge to go to university in the first place so I could just have an ordinary job right now instead, and it wouldn't require the internet.

The internet is vital in today's society and I can guarantee that more research is currently going into the internet than any of you could possibly imagine. And this research is costing billions of euro in the EU. My internship in the summer is funded by the ESRC and is based upon this topic, and the future is actually very scary indeed.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:10   #20
Beacon of light

While I accept that the internet is a valuable study aide, I still prefer to learn from a book.
I find it hard to digest stuff from the screen........If I do need an article that is available only on the internet, then I have to print it off to read it properly....and I know that I am not alone in this as there was a thread on a similar subject recently.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Internet is cheaper than books. Books cost more money. Brown brainwashes us to accept the internet is a better resource than books and the next thing you know they'll be cutting funds to our local libraries.

My studies would be ten times harder without the internet. It makes my life a lot easier... but saying that, if I'd never had internet to begin with then I'd probably not even have had the knowledge to go to university in the first place so I could just have an ordinary job right now instead, and it wouldn't require the internet.

The internet is vital in today's society and I can guarantee that more research is currently going into the internet than any of you could possibly imagine. And this research is costing billions of euro in the EU. My internship in the summer is funded by the ESRC and is based upon this topic, and the future is actually very scary indeed.
In reference to The future is actually very scary indeed, in terms of ?
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:22   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
In reference to The future is actually very scary indeed, in terms of ?
People in power consider the majority of us to be 'useless eaters'
That isn't a worry unless you enjoy eating

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:50   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Can you enlighten me more on this research.

I feel the internet is very important for information to be shared to the masses.

How long the Freedom of the internet will last is anyones guess.
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 15:58   #24
God Member

the internet can be updated a book once printed has to be re written if facts are later proven to be incorrect and need updating

for example according to the books we have 9 planets in our solar system but any website updated regularly will have corrected this error to say that we now only have 8 planets in our soloar system

books make better for reading but i would say the internet is a more valuable resource for up to date facts

also if it wasnt for teh internet yanks would still think we all lived in castles , were all on talking terms with the queen and all lived within walking distance of london , i dare say they would have even less of a clue about countries outside of teh USA as their news stations dont really cover anythig much outside of tehir town yet alone their country

also if it wasnt for teh internet my ex wouldnt have ben able to pay somone to do her degree coursework and she wouldnt have teh job she does now teh cheat

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-06-2009 at 16:01.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 16:02   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:

There was life before life before the internet blazey and ordinary people like yourself still went to Uni, there was just different ways of doing things in those days
Old 17-06-2009, 16:06   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There was life before life before the internet blazey and ordinary people like yourself still went to Uni, there was just different ways of doing things in those days
yup times move on

people used to use an abacus to do math infact merely typing an equasion into google is threatening teh calculator lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 17-06-2009, 16:11   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Where would we all be if we didn't have good old Wikipedia to lead us down the wrong path instead of those unreliable old Lecturers?
Or does the internet mean students today have to attend even less classes than I did?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 16:16   #28
God Member

wikipedia is a joke and about as reliable as the daily sport for facts lol

mind you a university course written on facts gathered from wikipedia woudl make a very interesting read for the examiners lol

who discovered gravity - my dad

how many planets are there - acording to starfleet there are 238,000,000

Old 17-06-2009, 16:40   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wikipedia is a joke and about as reliable as the daily sport for facts lol
Wikipedia is wonderful for making money, bet a fiver, search if the facts don't agree, change them print off collect money.

Quote:
mind you a university course written on facts gathered from wikipedia woudl make a very interesting read for the examiners lol
Surely people that have passed the strict entrance exam for Uni' wouldn't do that?

Oh Yeah course they would, that's where they got the answers for the entrance exam!

Quote:
who discovered gravity - my dad
When he googled Wiki for it.

Quote:
how many planets are there - acording to starfleet there are 238,000,000
don't be silly no student these day's could copy & paste such a big number as, 238 erm' 238,000 erm' 238,000,0 erm' 238,000,00 Oh forget it you know what I mean.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 16:43   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh forget it you know what I mean..
even wikipedia dosnt have the answer to that im afraid lol

Quote:
Did you mean: what does les mean
No article title matches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...ess+mean&go=Go

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..