Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2009, 15:29   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: How Important is T'internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I'll just wave my magic wand and generate enough money to go to a library out of town every day.

I don't even have the money to get to Accrington. I walk from Oswaldtwistle. And obviously it costs the same to get to Lancaster as it does to Manchester, so I'd go there before I went to Manchester. And if it was that easy to get to Lancaster then I wouldn't live there in the first place, I'd just commute and save money on rent.

I think some people forget that this isn't actually their 'day' any more and that things have drastically changed in society, not just in regards to education but the way things are done in general. Maybe I should research how people lived before YOUR time and then bring it up every time you suggest something?

I was talking to a man in the Arndale yesterday about the regeneration of the town and he said that the older members of the community have a really bad attitude to change and he was really keen to get me to have my say on it. I think it is absolutely shocking that the first thing I hear from a stranger when I am home is that the older generation don't care enough about this town to have a positive attitude towards its regeneration.

It's a real shame that every time I come home that this town has crumbled a little bit more. To say you're so passionate about emphasising the quality of your day Jaysay, you don't do very much to persuade me that you have anything useful to suggest each time to try to shoot down my arguments.

Do you think you are a valuable member of society?
Unfortunately I'm rather limited these days, but if by the time you get to 63 you have done half of the things I've done you will have been a very busy girl, alas I feel you may not make it as you do far much pontificating and feeling sorry for down trodden students such as yourself, to make a lasting impact, so I feel sure you'll never get the T Shirt, but not to worry you can always borrow mine
Old 27-06-2009, 15:32   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Unfortunately I'm rather limited these days, but if by the time you get to 63 you have done half of the things I've done you will have been a very busy girl, alas I feel you may not make it as you do far much pontificating and feeling sorry for down trodden students such as yourself, to make a lasting impact, so I feel sure you'll never get the T Shirt, but not to worry you can always borrow mine
When I reach 63 we will be in a very different world to what we live in today. I'd like to move with the change rather than stay in the past.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 09:53   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
When I reach 63 we will be in a very different world to what we live in today. I'd like to move with the change rather than stay in the past.
How the hell do you think I've managed since I was 20, I certainly didn't stand still
Old 28-06-2009, 20:06   #79
God Member

Quote:
How the hell do you think I've managed since I was 20, I certainly didn't stand still
I love to see people dodge the issues they themselves have brought up.
Old 28-06-2009, 21:16   #80
God Member

Quote:
I think it is absolutely shocking that the first thing I hear from a stranger when I am home is that the older generation don't care enough about this town to have a positive attitude towards its regeneration.

Do you think the older generation of any village/town or city in the UK ( maybe even the world ) would be any different ?.
Old 29-06-2009, 09:46   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I love to see people dodge the issues they themselves have brought up.
I've never dodged issues in my life, in fact from being 16 to 21 I worked full time and did 3 night at tech to gain my working knowledge and have now spent the last 42 years in the University of life, this is one University where you don't do dissertations or exams but you learn from day to day until the day you die, life itself is a learning curve and you may do well to remember that we small fact
Old 29-06-2009, 12:30   #82
God Member

Quote:
I've never dodged issues in my life, in fact from being 16 to 21 I worked full time and did 3 night at tech to gain my working knowledge and have now spent the last 42 years in the University of life, this is one University where you don't do dissertations or exams but you learn from day to day until the day you die, life itself is a learning curve and you may do well to remember that we small fact

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how I access law reports at home without the internet.
Old 29-06-2009, 16:14   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to tell me how I access law reports at home without the internet.
Hang on a bit I have a mate who did what you are doing but about 40 years ago, i'm sure he found ways of doing things in the summer during the day whilst going out on the lash with his mates at night, and he did it in Ossy too, mind you he was very resourceful and a go getter
Old 29-06-2009, 16:21   #84
God Member

Quote:
Hang on a bit I have a mate who did what you are doing but about 40 years ago, i'm sure he found ways of doing things in the summer during the day whilst going out on the lash with his mates at night, and he did it in Ossy too, mind you he was very resourceful and a go getter
Am I meant to be impressed by someone who claims to be resourceful just because they go out to get ****ed? You can get average marks with 100% reliance on abstracts in the text books that we have to buy, but I'm not a big fan of that. It's just lazy.

I have two jobs over Summer and so I will be going back to Lancaster soon enough anyway. Thanks for your advice.
Old 29-06-2009, 17:10   #85
Beacon of light

Blazey, you are rude and arrogant.
What makes you think that life only started when you made an entrance to this planet?

Students managed long before the internet, they just had to be more effective in managing their time......if you knew you were not going to have access to the internet, then just maybe you would have made an effort to access the case files you needed from whatever source before you left uni for the summer recess.

And I am having 'my time' now.....you will find that wherever you are in your life....it is still your 'time'.........like Jaysay, my University is the university of life....and there are people on here who have forgotten more than you will ever know.

By the way, this is no more a personal attack than your comments are to other people.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-06-2009 at 17:10. Reason: typo
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 17:29   #86
Beacon of light

And as for the issue on the regeneration subject....why should you care what happens in Accrington?
You have made no secret of the fact that you think it is a backwater, and all of us who live here are no better than we ought to be.
Maybe the older generations who were asked for their opinions can remember when Accrington had a busy thriving market....and people used to come just for that alone....maybe these people can remember when the town was a hive of industry, maybe these people have seen what a shambles has been made of other projects that were supposed to make the town a better, more pleasant place to live.

It isn't negativity, it is their opinion, and they were asked for their opinion.

According to you, you are going to be hot footing it out of the area as fast as your legs will take you, so it shouldn't really matter much to you anyway.
Old 29-06-2009, 18:24   #87
Give, give, give member

He's at Lancaster.

Perhaps he's also doing Law.

Robber used Facebook from Lancaster Prsion - Morecambe Today

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 18:39   #88
God Member

Like I said to the man who asked me my opinion, I do expect to move away but I still have my family here who don't intend on leaving, and it would be nice to be able to say where I come from and have some pride about it.

Instead it's close enough to Burnley to be linked with the BNP, and our exciting town history is shadowed by how depressing the place is now because all the shops are shutting.

Also, there are hundreds of case reports that I need, even my reasonably brand new laptop would not take too kindly to be storing them on my laptop, though I do have many on various pen drives. The trouble is when I need more and there is nowhere to go to get them.

It's a shame Accrington isn't a bit more like Lancaster actually, it once had that same character, but whilst Lancaster has embraced other cultures and new developments, Accrington seems to have rejected it. It's all just a great shame I think. A great shame indeed.

Also, there is always problems like these between generations so I'm not going to take offence. I was simply repeating what the man said to me because it was quite interesting. The regeneration is quite interesting too. I'd say the biggest that accrington has ever had. It's a shame that it is being shunned by cynics.
Old 29-06-2009, 18:42   #89
God Member

To be honest, I'm just sick of hearing about the past as well. It's like people just don't want to accept today. Accrington NEEDS to change. If people aren't willing to help with that, whatever way it is done, then their opinion, whilst valid, isn't really helping anyone is it.

Comments like 'you're leaving so it doesn't matter to you anyway' are stupid. Any one of us might die tomorrow and we're definitely going to die anyway, so maybe we should just sit at our laptops on accyweb and wait. How about that?
Old 29-06-2009, 19:07   #90
Beacon of light

Of course Accrington needs change, but it needs the right sort of change, the right sort of regeneration, and patently that hasn't happened so far, even with all the money that has been invested in the main shopping area. It has all been tinkering round the edges......and I can't see anything changing that soon.
I would embrace change if I thought it would make Accrington vibrant again......but to be honest I haven't seen anything that has that capability.

You want Accrington to be more like Lancaster...perhaps we should build a prison here....it would bring employment and a tourism of sorts into the town.

And labelling comments that you don't like, as 'stupid', is immature and shows a lack of grasp of the discussion.

I am not going to sit on my laptop and wait, though of course you can do that because you have time on your side.
And as far as dying tomorrow, well I have far too much to do.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-06-2009 at 19:11.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..