Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2022, 00:09   #1
Full Member+

How Many Books Have You Read This Year?

I'm a prolific reader and I love to read books, it doesn't matter if I've read them before. I think it dates back to the days when there was very limited TV and reading books was a major form of entertainment. I normally read 1-2 books in a week, it depends on the books and it's length but this year I've read 30-35 books
Old 11-07-2022, 06:46   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: How Many Books Have You Read This Year?

No idea, but I've read plenty, always do. Used to enjoy paperbacks but over the years my eyes can't cope aswell as they used to so I bought a kindle several years back, overall a pretty good investment really.

Being on the road pretty much every day it's easy to cart round with me & when I stop for the night, I can settle down to an hour or so of reading to help unwind.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:59   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No idea but a good few.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:01   #4
Beacon of light

I am a prolific reader too.
I must have managed about thirty so far…..a couple of the books I have bought left me cold.
Sebastian Faulks Human Traces was a beast of a book….it was not an easy read and I did not enjoy it.
I should have given up on it but felt that it might get better…it didn’t.
And a book I DID give up on was the tattooist of Auschwitz.
Most of my reading matter comes from the charity shops…and goes back to them when I have finished with them.
So my habit doesn’t cost much and benefits many I guess.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:33   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i get mine from charity shops also.
Old 11-07-2022, 17:30   #6

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1267268]No idea,Used to enjoy paperbacks but over the years my eyes can't cope aswell as they used several years back,

It's happen as well that you no longer have to look over the open sights of an SA.80 then.
Bob Dobson and DaveinGermany like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:26   #7

I also am a prolific reader. I’ve lost count of how many books I’ve read this year, but it’s a lot. I enjoy a wide range of reading material though my preference is for historical romances – sometimes referred to as hysterical romances. When reading dialogue I read this in the accent of the person ‘speaking’ it.

Confession - when I have read a few pages I can’t always wait to see how it ends, so I then turn to the back and read the ending. Then I go to where I left off and read the book. I don't know why but people I tell this to tend to think I am a bit strange. Yes, I do know, it’s Dottie by name and dotty by nature….
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:05   #8
Beacon of light

I don’t think I could look at the ending of a book….it is the ending that keeps me reading.

I have to say that this year I have chosen some right Turkeys…..and I hate giving up on a book, but this year there have been a few I should have given up on…..but only two fell into that hole.
Anyway even the Turkeys will go back to the charity shop so all is not lost.
Old 12-07-2022, 13:19   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Anyway even the Turkeys will go back to the charity shop so all is not lost.
What you should do before you put them back into the charity shop is,

Tear out the last page!

That way they will return to the shop looking for another copy just to find out the ending and therefore pay twice to the charity if they find a replacement.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 13:41   #10
Full Member+

I hate giving up on a book/s, the only series I did give up on was George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series, I read the first book but it took forever. I think the main problem was there were just too many characters introduced and often it would be several 100 pages before the story went back to them.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 12-07-2022, 13:48   #11
Beacon of light

Less, that is a neat ploy to get the charity more money, but a nasty trick on the readers.

Just because I did not enjoy certain books doesn’t mean that others will not be entertained by them.
The other thing about buying from .charity’s shops is the publishers are sneaky.
They change the book jacket and I sometimes have bought what I thought were new books by a favourite author….when it is the same book as I have previously read in different frock.

I have a very wide taste in books….but I am not keen on murder books.
I look for authors as much as titles.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 12-07-2022, 14:53   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What you should do before you put them back into the charity shop is,

Tear out the last page!

That way they will return to the shop looking for another copy just to find out the ending and therefore pay twice to the charity if they find a replacement.

The above has reminded me of the great Hancocks half hour 'The Missing Page'

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 20:24   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
It's happen as well that you no longer have to look over the open sights of an SA.80 then.
Long time since I've done that mate, I do have a couple of air rifles with scopes to keep my hand in so to speak. I also have a mate who has his own business & is a Gunsmith, on occassion I'll go with him to the ranges to do some zeroing & get to have a "play" with some proper rifles.

Hes even got an old demilitarized "Musket" (SLR), that we both were trained on when we first joined, nice to have a shoot of the old beast.
taddy likes this.
Old 12-07-2022, 20:36   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
I hate giving up on a book/s, the only series I did give up on was George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series

Bought the 5 book box set many moons ago when my eyes were still coping, I know what you mean about the random characters though. The reason I'm not bothering with him any more is his continual stalling & dragging out of the release of the final book.

What I did read recently was JA Andrews (female author) the Keeper Chronicles (trilogy) & The Keeper origins (trilogy), thoroughly enjoyed the series, there are also a couple of stand alone novellets based on the series.
Old 12-07-2022, 23:06   #15

Margaret, I have also been caught by the different jacket for the same book, it is very annoying. It really is very sneaky.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..