Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2008, 03:17   #1
God Member

How many TV channels is enough

Two days ago I switched my TV cable provider , instead of recieving 76 channels, I now get 200, the local phone company ATT offered me a 'special' ....phone, DSL and TV as one bundled price , considering that I allready had two of their services adding a third and it would cut my monthy bills by $20 I went for it .
Now the problem , how on Gods earth can anyone watch 150 channels of regular TV programing + 50 channels of music videos (all genres) , by the time I scroll through to see whats on, the program I decide to watch is 10 minutes old .
Thats not the only 'problem' they decided to throw in free of charge a DVR contraption which will record 4 programs at the same time so now the back of my television looks like a nest of serpents , wires everywhere and I still have to figure out how to incorporate my VCR and DVD players into the new system + hooking it up to my stero system .
Think , come Monday morning I will be up at the local High School looking for a Chinese/Japanese nerdy geek to come and sort this system out .

ok , rant over
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2008, 03:25   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: How many TV channels is enough

I might have to report your racist thread and get you banned - re the chinese/japanese bit
Old 22-06-2008, 03:41   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I might have to report your racist thread and get you banned - re the chinese/japanese bit
why ? ....nothing racist about it , no way is it sterotyping its a fact .......go into any computer/electronics store in California and if you want a decent service about new technology you go to the "oriental" guys , forget the 'regular' american staff they are either setting up a drug score on their headsets or stood there scratching their privates and listening to hip-hop/rap music .
My days of dealing with stoners ended 20 odd years ago , and no way do I want to engage in conversation with someone who suffers from body lice

Old 22-06-2008, 03:49   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

lol at your post. I was only teasing.
Old 22-06-2008, 07:38   #5
Resident Waffler

it's not racist against the oriental gentlemen steeljack. It's sterotypical against the non-oriental non-gentlemen. Round here you'd probably be looking for a nerdy geek from the Indian subcontinent. Interesting tangent - we call the Indians, Pakistanis etc 'Asian' and you call the Chinese and Japanese 'Asian'. All in the interests of political correctness but pretty confusing when we talk to you and you talk to us. I told my American cousin that our newsagent is Asian, in the midst of a debate about the political correctness of Christmas and pointing out that he sells Christmas cards and is Muslim and she replied that she didn't realise there were Asian Muslims, which made me go "Huh?" until I realised what she thought I meant by 'Asian'.

Back on topic - I wish you the best of luck with your 200 channels and DVR contraption. I miss half of what I would like to see because I don't even realise the channel exists and I have no idea how many we've got! It was only last week I found out we've got a "Dave +1" because it is nowhere near the original "Dave" - and why on earth is a TV channel called Dave?????

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 09:13   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
it's not racist against the oriental gentlemen steeljack. It's sterotypical against the non-oriental non-gentlemen. Round here you'd probably be looking for a nerdy geek from the Indian subcontinent. Interesting tangent - we call the Indians, Pakistanis etc 'Asian' and you call the Chinese and Japanese 'Asian'. All in the interests of political correctness but pretty confusing when we talk to you and you talk to us. I told my American cousin that our newsagent is Asian, in the midst of a debate about the political correctness of Christmas and pointing out that he sells Christmas cards and is Muslim and she replied that she didn't realise there were Asian Muslims, which made me go "Huh?" until I realised what she thought I meant by 'Asian'.

Back on topic - I wish you the best of luck with your 200 channels and DVR contraption. I miss half of what I would like to see because I don't even realise the channel exists and I have no idea how many we've got! It was only last week I found out we've got a "Dave +1" because it is nowhere near the original "Dave" - and why on earth is a TV channel called Dave?????
Probable because they didn't like Frank, Willow
Old 22-06-2008, 09:34   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
and why on earth is a TV channel called Dave?????
It's because everyone knows a bloke called Dave

It's name is also the reason for it's slogan. 'the home of witty banter'
Old 23-06-2008, 06:01   #8
God Member

just found a new channel called History International .........and its showing a program called Saddam and the Third Riech ........Doh ......so I guess we have a new reason to justify the invasion , talk about re-writing history

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..