Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 23:42   #1

Hyndburn Homes, shoddy renovation

hynburn homes are doing my kitchen and bathroom,its really shoddy work,anyone else find this?

Last edited by pallyman; 11-03-2012 at 23:47.
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09   #2
God Member

re: Hyndburn Homes, shoddy renovation

Is it Bramall Construction (refurbishment contractor) or Hyndburn Homes workmen who aren't up to par?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:13   #3
God Member

My Mum has just had kitchen and bathroom done and is impressed with the workmanship
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was up at our friends on friday n they had just nearly finished, she was well suited.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16   #5
Senior Member+

I called at a friends house on Buckingham Grove (Hyndburn Homes property)just after she had the bathroom and kitchen refurbishment. As soon as I arrived she told me how pleased with it she was and couldn't wait to show me round.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20   #6
God Member

I have declined the offer of a new kitchen.
I had a whole month of hassle when my shower install (bathroom refurb) was done 2 years ago.

I couldn't survive a month without a kitchen. I know that people are being fed at communal homes during the work, but a month eating junk isn't me.

Besides that, the plaster dust mess they leave behind is an ordeal to clear up.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:37   #7
Resting in Peace

Re: hyndburn homes,shoddy renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have declined the offer of a new kitchen.
I had a whole month of hassle when my shower install (bathroom refurb) was done 2 years ago.

I couldn't survive a month without a kitchen. I know that people are being fed at communal homes during the work, but a month eating junk isn't me.

Besides that, the plaster dust mess they leave behind is an ordeal to clear up.
Many thanks Margaret, was resigning myself for upheaval when they were doing mine, think they can leave it until I move house to that big website in the sky
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Many thanks Margaret, was resigning myself for upheaval when they were doing mine, think they can leave it until I move house to that big website in the sky
I have heard that several people have declined the improvements.

It isn't so much that the end result is unsatisfactory, it is the upheaval that has to be endured, and the long time the work takes.

Not all elderly folk have the stamina it takes to get through it.

PS Jaysay - The concrete plinth that the old gas warm air boiler sat on is demolished during the refurb - involves use of a jack hammer - and the kitchen storeroom is demolished to enlarge the size of the kitchen.

Last edited by MargaretR; 12-03-2012 at 08:53.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have heard that several people have declined the improvements.

It isn't so much that the end result is unsatisfactory, it is the upheaval that has to be endured, and the long time the work takes.

Not all elderly folk have the stamina it takes to get through it.
I was talking to Joan about this last weekend and she was concerned what the toll would on my health, its not that my kitchen is dropping to bits and is very clean and serviceable as it is, I did put extra cupboards in when I first moved in, and I'm quite happy with it as it is
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58   #10
Senior Member+

If a person refuses to have a new kitchen or bathroom fitted and then moves out would Hyndburn Homes come along and put them in for the new tennant?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
If a person refuses to have a new kitchen or bathroom fitted and then moves out would Hyndburn Homes come along and put them in for the new tennant?
Yes - the properties have to be brought up to the 'decent homes standard' before they are relet.

I explored the legislation concerning housing association tenancies during the thread about security
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...sed-58705.html

Old 12-03-2012, 09:11   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I would advise anyone wi health issues to pass on this, our friend whilst delighted wi the finished job, went through hell whilst work was in progress,n she is recovering from a heart attack. I seem to recall once of a day the council used to re-house folk whilst big jobs were being done?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I would advise anyone wi health issues to pass on this, our friend whilst delighted with finished job, went through hell whilst work was in progress,n she is recovering from a heart attack. I seem to recall once of a day the council used to re-house folk whilst big jobs were being done?
Don't think that would be an option with me cashy, I could go and stop with Joan, but I just couldn't use the stairs and moving to a temp accomodation would be to stressful at the moment as I'm fighting to keep out of hospital at the moment as one of my old problems have arisen, what with needing Salford Van Hire to move my meds and oxygen equipment
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26   #14
God Member

Jaysay - our estate was scheduled for this refurb three years ago but it didn't happen due to lack of funds.

The 'decent homes' deadline for the work passed last year. The work was required to be done in the terms of the 'Stock Transfer' and wasn't.

That is why there is this mad rush now to bring homes up to standard.

I could have coped with a kitchen refurb three years ago - but not now.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:31   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Jaysay - our estate was scheduled for this refurb three years ago but it didn't happen due to lack of funds.

The 'decent homes' deadline for the work passed last year. The work was required to be done in the terms of the 'Stock Transfer' and wasn't.

That is why there is this mad rush now to bring homes up to standard.

I could have coped with a kitchen refurb three years ago - but not now.
Ya same here Margaret, as I've told you I am having my bathroom done but that is a necessity and I shall be having words prior to the commencement, but the rest can wait for the next tenant

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..