Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2005, 15:33   #1
I am Banned

Hyndburn Homes Takeover

Those of us in rented council properties are informed regular about being takeover by a non profit Association to bring properties upto scratch n reduce rundown housing areas as council are out of money to spend on council housing, like the areas of blackburn whom have successfully done this. Wondered on point of view, as im up for it to be taken over as improvement for my area wouldnt be possible with the council like crappy blower heater systems n econ 7 n we're on top of a hill bracing all weathers.

Whats the view?? The official voting starts in april sometime by HBC.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2005, 18:56   #2

Re: Hyndburn Homes Takeover

I gather from the tone of your posting that you are not very happy about living in a Council House. With the greatest respect may I suggest you cut out out luxury spending and save to buy your own home. For starters I reckon a PC is a luxury.
THOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 19:24   #3
I am Banned

Oh i am mate! love my house thanx but a shame that its darkages to rest of the ones lucky to have em done up n would buy my home if i had the means but not all of us have the luxury nor opportunity of that and as to the remark over having a pc.........which i resent btw, the pc i have was someones rubbish to be wizzed n i fixed it up as the only prob was a virus problem as some ppl are too ignorant to have one installed n yet have money to waste! - call it recycling!! Sorry didnt appreciate the tone recieved thanx i dont have luxury n make use with what i have n if theres chances for improvement that benefits everyone then yeh im for it as is the council encouraging tennents to take it up, it was a topic of interest as it effects many in the area not a gripe as such.
Old 16-02-2005, 23:54   #4

Quite sure the owners of homes on lonsdale st would prefer home improvement an elderly cpl i know who ve lived there for years have to get out this year so they can flatten the place and rebuild even though all they have is there pension they are expected to give up there home and either buy another or rent somewhere . Why should they have to rent when they ve spent there lives paying for a house of there own to to have it taken off them and as for buying with the joke amount they are getting you d be lucky to buy a house round here . Thtas the thx you get for working hard all your life . If anyone has seen con air steve buscemi s speech on the plane about insanity is spot on
Now you're talking semantics. What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which the tell you to **** off. Ending up in some retirement villiage, hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time. Wouldn't you consider that to be insane."
Old 17-02-2005, 08:39   #5
I am Banned

Yeh i understand that Rockrabbit, my Aunty lived on longsdale st for yrs n had to move, how was an area like that left to such rack n ruin, quite a few on my st have come from the Longsdale area as council was luxury compared to there, but yeh it makes u think about working so damn hard to improve your life standards n the gov crap on yer.
Old 17-02-2005, 13:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Yeh i understand that Rockrabbit, my Aunty lived on longsdale st for yrs n had to move, how was an area like that left to such rack n ruin, quite a few on my st have come from the Longsdale area as council was luxury compared to there, but yeh it makes u think about working so damn hard to improve your life standards n the gov crap on yer.
im only 27 but apart from rists wires the whole area looked nice a good few years ago i just dont think tis right how they can kick and old couple out of an house which they ve lived in since they got married roughly about 50 year ago and have worked hard to pay for and own the house without sufficient money to buy them somewhere else but then again why should the council worry they live in nice new semis and are vastly overpaid and can afford to move house easily . Makes you wonder do you have to be completely thoughtless and down right evil with no conscience to work for them hope they sleep well at nights and hope they get what they deserve one day
Old 17-02-2005, 13:58   #7
I am Banned

True Rockrabbit n i know in the paper there was a huge petition about it cos a lot of ppl got offered a third of what their house should be worth n no doubt was politely thumb screwed into accepting the offer because the area would be left to rack n ruin if they didnt. The thing is the houses will be knocked down to rebuild new homes probably for rent n to buy just think of how much profit these companies make buying land off the council cheap n also prospect of regeneration grants all in the name of regeneration, fair enough i can see that the council need to recoup funds to improve areas. My sympathies to the elderly couple n hope something is sorted out properly for them.
Old 19-02-2005, 00:13   #8
I am Banned

i have absolutely no doubt that the council recieved a big payment from the housing company wanting to build new houses

if not the council the definatly a councilor somewhere recieved somthing

sorry to sound negative about our coucilors but i believe anyone in politics has to be a natural born liar or a cheat

no one with a concience would do what they are doing to these people and sleep at night
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 16:49   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Those of us in rented council properties are informed regular about being takeover by a non profit Association to bring properties upto scratch n reduce rundown housing areas as council are out of money to spend on council housing, like the areas of blackburn whom have successfully done this. Wondered on point of view, as im up for it to be taken over as improvement for my area wouldnt be possible with the council like crappy blower heater systems n econ 7 n we're on top of a hill bracing all weathers.

Whats the view?? The official voting starts in april sometime by HBC.
There is a small article in this weeks Observer about it (page 4), but the article talks about the houses being passed over to "Hyndburn Homes" , that will form part of the Contour Housing Group . One thing is for sure though, if the houses remain under HBC control, don't think there is much chance of any upgrading work, not with the present financial state of HBC.To add to all this, have a look here http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/LSVT/Main.htm About right for HBC note the date

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 19-02-2005 at 16:53. Reason: Add info
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 17:08   #10
Resident Waffler

I'm in two minds about all of this. Regarding the Lonsdale Street area which I think come sunder "Project Phoenix" I will be glad to see an improvement as it looks awful around there but I'm baffled as to why because like somebody already said it used to be a decent area. It is totally unfair that whenever a property is "compulsory purchased" that the owners don't get anywhere near enough for it. They should get enough to be able to buy a similar size/type house not have to rent for the rest of their lives because they cannot buy another.

I think I'd be in a similar position when coming to try to sell this house though because I'll never get back what was paid for it and the additional improvements because the whole area has gone downhill.

This is a separate issue from the council housing which HBC has allowed to deteriorate and not done necessary repairs on but don't assume that a private organisation will necessarily do them either. I know someone in such a position where a previous council house was sold to a private association and she is still trying to get repairs done.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 17:43   #11
Senior Member+

Lonsdale street is sad, as are all the other streets in that area, like you say they all used to be reasonable houses, but times and residents have changed and the area deteriorated.The old couple should hold out, refuse to move, or to accept the terms put to them, stick out for a reasonable price for their house, the problem is that some of the older end do not understand, the system and are frightened about making noises, when confronted by "Officials", or faceless wonders quoting from the "book", what is their local Cllr doing about it?

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-02-2005, 17:53   #12
Senior Member+

Following a "google" search, a little more information on the "Contour Housing Group"...........they seem to have a long list of Directors all of who will be drawing FEES, and their seem to be pointed at anti-social behaviour

http://www.contourhousing.co.uk/Asb%...%20dec2004.pdf
still those are the buss words of the moment.

Here is a link to their site http://www.contourhousing.co.uk/
Wonder which local Cllr's name will be seen on the Directors list after the transfer of HBC housing stock

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..