Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2007, 08:06   #571
Resident Waffler

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Well, if someone is from Ossy when asked they say they are from Ossy. Ossy is part of Hyndburn. If someone is from Accy, same applies. But change it to Accrington & Districts and suddenly the Ossy person is from a part of Accrington. I still say the other towns in the borough then lose their individual identity. I mentioned Rishton and Great Harwood specifically because it does seem more unlikely that it could happen to them but it will. I'm sure of it.

Apart from all that though, I'm with Katex and Garinda on the cost factor here. I do not believe it isn't going to cost us anything and I do not see how anyone can vote on a proposal when they have not been given the full facts.

It will have an impact on private groups and companies within the borough too. Why should the likes of Rishton and Great Harwood have to bow down to the 'well-known' name of Accrington? Well known? Yes, for a stupid milk ad and for being made a laughing stock by stand-up comedians who are well past their prime.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2007, 08:12   #572
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington and District???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I can only go off my own experience on this. The borough where I live is called Stockport. It encompasses a number of surrounding towns - Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Poynton and others. Since 1974, they have retained their own identity and character and they are in no way on "the slippery slope to non-existence" so I very much doubt that this will happen with Accrington & Districts.
Sort of defeats your argument. It doesn't matter what the political name of the area is. People, when asked where they are from, will say the name of the town in which they live, and the individual towns can still be promoted just as easily whatever the name is.

Did I live in Lambeth?

No, I lived in Streatham.

Did I live in Wandsworth?

No, I lived in Tooting.

Did I live in Strathclyde?

No, I lived in Glasgow.

Do I live in Hyndburn?

No, I live in Oswaldtwistle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 08:38   #573
Give, give, give member

Whilst the streets of the borough are in such a disgraceful state of disrepair, particularly for the elderly and disabled, not one penny should be spent on this name change.

Will those in favour of the change, be canvassing parliament to have the constituency name changed as well? After all our MP has a higher profile on the national stage, then either Britcliffe or the Mayor, for whom the name of Hyndburn seems to cause the most problems. Whatever the outcome, the name Hyndburn will still be here, and we will have an MP to prove it..

As I've said umpteen times before, this is a case of the Emperor's new clothes. The name isn't important, services are.

You can promote a company called Scumbags, as long as the product is worth promoting in the first place.

Old 28-10-2007, 08:40   #574
Resident Waffler

Wynonie, you don't even live in Hyndburn so it isn't going to affect your council tax is it? Peter Britcliffe tells us it won't affect ours but Katex has shown that the figure he pulled out of a hat bears little resemblance to the actual cost or rebranding so if the council tax of Hyndburn residents isn't going to go up then something else within Hyndburn is going to have to suffer. The money will have to come from somewhere. I believe we are being misled. It's change for the sake of change and as such is totally unnecessary.

Old 28-10-2007, 11:52   #575
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Funny, but I was at a meeting a few weeks ago about something completely unrelated and as a throw away comment someone said, 'that's if we're still called Hyndburn'. I didn't think anything of it but clearly they were in the know.

I think it's a bit of a daft idea personally. I mean, I know Hyndburn doesn't mean an awful lot to people outside of the area but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I know Stanley are doing better but the rest doesn't give the most positive image in the world. It dates us to an era a long, long time ago.
I dissagree Gayle, what is wrong with our heritage "old mill town" Englands bread hangs by (Lancashire's thread) (Accrington Pal's is the best remembered regiment in WW1)(Who does' not know about Accrington Stanley.We should be proud of our past, hard work and dilligence of our forebears built this town and area.What has HYNDBURN contributed?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 13:55   #576
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Wynonie, you don't even live in Hyndburn so it isn't going to affect your council tax is it?
As I have said again and again, I campaigned for this when I DID live here, so I was prepared to pay for it. If I did still live in the borough, I would feel exactly the same way!
Old 28-10-2007, 13:56   #577
Resident Waffler

It doesn't matter whether people think of Hyndburn as having contributed something. Do people think of the Ribble Valley or do they think of Whalley and Clitheroe as seperate places? Same thing. If you mention Ossy people will have heard of Ossy Mills. Oswaldtwistle is an equal part of Hyndburn. It cannot be an equal part of Accrington and District. It will just be a district. The Accrington name will take precedence. This is why the name Hyndburn was chosen in the first place all those years ago, for the sake of equality.

Old 28-10-2007, 13:59   #578
Resident Waffler

Quote:
As I have said again and again, I campaigned for this when I DID live here, so I was prepared to pay for it. If I did still live in the borough, I would feel exactly the same way!
Why do you think being a mere district of Accrington will be any more beneficial to people of Ossy, Rishton, Clayton etc?

I wonder if others are prepared to pay for it when there is so much more that money needs to be spent on in the borough, not least of all the manky state of most of the parks and all the litter and mess in the streets.

Old 28-10-2007, 14:12   #579
Super Moderator

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether people think of Hyndburn as having contributed something. Do people think of the Ribble Valley or do they think of Whalley and Clitheroe as seperate places? Same thing. If you mention Ossy people will have heard of Ossy Mills. Oswaldtwistle is an equal part of Hyndburn. It cannot be an equal part of Accrington and District. It will just be a district. The Accrington name will take precedence. This is why the name Hyndburn was chosen in the first place all those years ago, for the sake of equality.
The fact is that Accrington is a nationally, indeed internationally known name. Nobody outside the North West has heard of Ossy Mills. Accrington is that entity which companies would pay a small fortune for - a famous brand name. Accrington is by far the largest town in the borough, so it seems quite in order to me that it should be incorporated into the borough name.
Old 28-10-2007, 14:32   #580
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The fact is that Accrington is a nationally, indeed internationally known name. Nobody outside the North West has heard of Ossy Mills. Accrington is that entity which companies would pay a small fortune for - a famous brand name. Accrington is by far the largest town in the borough, so it seems quite in order to me that it should be incorporated into the borough name.
Friends of mine from Scotland were expecting Accrinton to be a slum, and were pleasantly suprised.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...age-23398.html

My Anglophile Italian friend, who lived for many years in the UK before returning to Milan, had never heard of Accrington.

Old 28-10-2007, 14:49   #581
Super Moderator

To be fair, Gary, we can all come up with individual instances to support our point of view...

...the immigration officer at Brasilia Airport who glanced at the place of birth in my passport and immediately said "Stanley!" with a beaming smile.

...the New Yorker who, on learning where I came from, gave me a long lecture on the durable qualities of Accrington brick...

...and many, many more.

I wonder what they would've said if they learned that I came from H******n?
Old 28-10-2007, 15:01   #582
Resident Waffler

Last time I was in Ossy Mills there was a coach trip from Wolverhampton so they'd heard of it.

Old 28-10-2007, 15:05   #583
Resident Waffler

Quote:
To be fair, Gary, we can all come up with individual instances to support our point of view...

...the immigration officer at Brasilia Airport who glanced at the place of birth in my passport and immediately said "Stanley!" with a beaming smile.

...the New Yorker who, on learning where I came from, gave me a long lecture on the durable qualities of Accrington brick...

...and many, many more.

I wonder what they would've said if they learned that I came from H******n?
You've illustrated my point perfectly there! You DO come from Hyndburn, but your place of birth on your passport is still Accrington. The fact that the borough is called Hyndburn doesn't make any difference to the fact that you were born in Accrington. Nobody outside the borough needs to be affected by the name of the borough, but changeing the name will affect those of us within it. When births are registered they are still registered as the relevant registration district. Your information does not change. I was born in Blackburn, not Blackburn with Darwen.

Old 28-10-2007, 16:54   #584
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nobody outside the borough needs to be affected by the name of the borough
Yes they do, because the borough has to sell itself to to the outside world...which is so much easier if it has a familiar name instead of a totally anonymous one!
Old 28-10-2007, 19:46   #585
Resting in peace

Quote:
Last time I was in Ossy Mills there was a coach trip from Wolverhampton so they'd heard of it.
Strike one willow, Wolverhampton is the most cosmotolitan town I have ever been to, the most diverse group of people you seldom see elswhere.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..