Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2005, 10:06   #46

Re: I could spit i'm so mad!!!

GET THIS. .... One of our asian brethren was seen yesterday having a prescription filled for a shed load of pills and drugs (all free) Within minutes he was packing them into a large bubblewrap envelope and posting them off to what must have been his relatives back home.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2005, 10:28   #47
Beacon of light

When I was a Ward Sister, I used to tell everyone of the policy of 2 visitors to a bed.
I used to explain also the reasoning behind this rule.........if there was a fire we would have 25 patients to evacuate and 50 visitors......always supposing that they all maintained the 2 visitors per bed rule. Even with this explanation some visitors were abusive and would sneak back in as soon as your back was turned. I felt that my job was difficult enough without all this hassle.....but it goes with the territory.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 10:30   #48
Beacon of light

I once heard a visitor say that giving someone a uniform meant that they could talk to people like S***.........I soon put him straight. (he was from the ethnic community).
Old 18-02-2005, 10:31   #49

My wife had the same problem , she also used to say she hated open visiting as everyone wanted to ask her questions and that took her away from her other duties.
Old 18-02-2005, 10:33   #50
Resting in peace

I can remember one awful evening at the Infirmary when an ENT patient had forgotten to tell anyone pre-op that she was a bleeder. We had to rush her back to theatre, bleeding profusely, and the visitors formed a solid block across the corridor, gawping! After pushing politely and asking them to move, I finally yelled "All right, stay there and watch her bleed to death!". They moved.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 10:35   #51
Beacon of light

I also disliked the open visiting as it meant that you could not get the work done, and it was very difficult to do consultant ward rounds when you were constantly ushering visitors away from the bedside......I just used to get the visitors to leave the whole of the bay. How can you have a private conversation with a patient knowing that there are visitors earwigging at the other side of the curtain????
Old 18-02-2005, 11:18   #52
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We have 3 visitors per bed on maternity, we also have set visiting hours for everybody but the father of the baby. This is not only a fire regulation (we would have 22 mums, 22+ babies bearing in mind that we often have twins on the wards, 66 visitors and 2 or 3 staff to evacuate) This is also for the security of the babies. If your baby was snatched I'm sure that you would play holy hell. We have a no children allowed apart from the mother's own children rule. People are generally stupid when it comes to a member of the family having a baby. They will often bring in children with infectious diseases such as chicken pox. We had to ban children because of this as we had an outbreak of chest infections amongst the babies a few years ago. Approx 6 babies had to be admitted to NICU with the same infection, one baby nearly died. This infection was traced back to the child of a visitor who wasn't even related to the mother. As said before none of the visitors ever wash their hands.
I once had to evacuate the ward when the fire alarm went off during visiting. I was told to F Off by one relative who refused to leave. I told her that if she would rather burn to death or suffocate on fumes then be my guest... I have also had problems clearing the visitors from the ward when one of our ladies had a massive post partum heamorrhage and could have died. We desperately needed to get her to theatre and again the visitors were in the way and being abusive. We got security up to move them. We don't have visitors on the delivery suite, as it is not fair on the women who are labouring (the rooms are not soundproof) I am so glad that I work on there now, as the ward visiting times are getting us all down. I think that all maternity visiting should be restricted to partner and own children only. The worst offenders are often grandparents believe it or not. Women are only in hospital for about 24 hours following a vaginal delivery and 3 days following a Caesarian these days if all is well. Why do all these visitors need to come to the hospital, there's no need for it, they could be visiting women at home. Incidentally, we did try open visiting, but the women complained that they were being inundated with visitors all day and not getting any rest. People should bear in mind that new mums are tired, especially after being up all night trying to breastfeed a demanding baby. They can do without the visitors.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 11:27   #53
God Member

One would think that after millions of years of indulging in this pastime, the art of breeding would be if not as easy then at least as straightforward as folding a handkerchief. From what Lettie and Margaret have had to say on the subject it seems more like organised chaos. I am surprised that anyone manages to get born at all.
Old 18-02-2005, 11:34   #54
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I am surprised that anyone gets any kind of care these days in hospital. There are frequently only 2 qualified staff on the wards (post-natal especially) looking after 22 mums and babies. Midwives and nursing staff seem to accrue more and more paperwork to do with every passing government target and proposal. I remember once asking at a team meeting (when our manager introduced us to yet more new paperwork that we had to complete to meet some target or other) if it would be possible for any of us to actually do some midwifery for a change. The result being a roomful of giggles from my equally jaded colleagues...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 11:39   #55

My wife was so short staffed once that she found that she was struggling to feed very ill patients. When she brought this up with the grey suit department she was told to get the relatives in to feed them
Old 18-02-2005, 14:39   #56
I am Banned

while visiting my baby the asian woman futher down the ward who was leaving packed up all her stuff the proceeded to pack up the bed sheets and walked out with her family , all 8 of them

sorry but those odds were too much for me and i wasnt gonna start a riot on a baby ward by confronting then over some sheets but dosnt it show how some people simply abuse the system

between treating imigrants and people stealing from hospitals its no wonder the nhs in such a crisis
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 14:49   #57

She aws maybe going to wash and iron them and take them back to the ward as a sign of her appreciation. Eh Eh !!!!!!!!
Old 18-02-2005, 14:54   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
She aws maybe going to wash and iron them and take them back to the ward as a sign of her appreciation. Eh Eh !!!!!!!!
the same woman instead of leaving bottles out the baby hadnt finished to be taken away would store them for later use and put the fresh ones in her bag to take home

your not supposed to use them after they have been opened for 2 hrs but she managed to cope nad had a nice collection of unopened and unrefridgereated milk to take home at the end of her stay

aslo some prat visited his baby with flu and was sneezing all over the place with newborn babies on the ward , how thick can some people be ..?
Old 18-02-2005, 14:58   #59

Must have been a boy baby they don't usually visit girls they are a disposable asset.
Old 18-02-2005, 15:03   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Must have been a boy baby they don't usually visit girls they are a disposable asset.
lmao

thats so true but the political correctness lot have even got the truth listed under racism

you cant even call a convicted burgular a theif these days i think you have to say " collector of other peoples possesions " or somthing like that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..