Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2005, 21:36   #1
Always EVIL within us

Indian Marriage

The U.K. or England at least, is now classified as a Multi Cultural Society. This is reflected in the laws of the land that forbids freedom of speech on certain matters, but upon coming across a newspaper article, I realised just how little we know of each other.

For the Asian community it is comparitively easy as there are many agencies set up to guide them but where is the education to teach the likes of myself about my neighbours?

It is a sad fact that the Accy web is poorly represented by the Indian and Pakistani community in the area. We have a valued member Mani and maybe one or two more but none are forthcoming on the views of topics as seen by Asians......

To get back to the point of this thread, Here is an article that astounded me and I would have liked confirmation that this is true in India and how often does it happen.

Children married off to puppies
From correspondents in New Delhi
23feb05

TWO small boys and two girls were married off to puppies by tribal villagers in the small northern Indian state of Jharkhand to ward off evil, a report said today.

Local officials in Kuluptang village in Jharkhand said the "kukur vibaha" or dogs' marriages, were organised on the last day of a local tribal festival, the Press Trust of India news agency said.

One of the tribeswomen, 54-year-old Sonamuni, who blessed the marriage of her three-year-old grand-daughter Priya, said the wedding was no less important than other such ceremonies and all customs normally associated with marriage were followed.

The mother of "groom" Durga, aged one, said if the first tooth of a baby came out in the upper jaw it was considered "inauspicious" for the child as well as the family and dog marriages had to be performed.

After a bath in a nearby river, the children are taken to a place of worship in a procession accompanied by a band.

Neighbours and relatives of the four children danced to music performed by the band before the marriages were solemnised with puppies of the opposite sex, the report said.

privacyterms © Advertiser Newspapers Pty Limited
Old 24-02-2005, 23:29   #2
I am Banned

Re: Indian Marriage

my friends dad was once offerd a cammel for his wife when in saudi arabia

a year later she divorced him and took the kids and house i bet the cammel was looking a pretty good deal round about then
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 23:30   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1

a year later she divorced him and took the kids and house i bet the cammel was looking a pretty good deal round about then
LMAO chav!!!!!!!!!!!! bet he wishes he knew then what he knows now!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 02:38   #4
Senior Member+

*LOL*

in india it does happen quite alot - though its always in the hindu community. thats cuz they believe in reincarnation. and occasionally they believe the spirit of a past partner has been born into a goat or something...

then there's still always the sacrificial marriages such as the one above... u have to understand the concept that hinduism is a very pagan religion in the sense they have a god for the sun god of death etc... and there are whole villages who are perhaps aimed at one god and as such have a head priest who decides as such to please the gods...

thankfully they havent resorted to burnin witches at the stake just yet *L*

as for how often - often enough - i'm sure there's many cases that dont get the publicity...
Old 25-02-2005, 06:52   #5
Resident Waffler

What happens when the dog dies? Is the person free to marry a human being then?

Seeing they are so young when they marry the puppies I was wondering if i affects them for life or if they grow up to lead a normal life, marry and have human children. (well they wouldn't have puppies would they? lol)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 07:38   #6
God Member

A correction here, Hinduism,and Jainism (sp?) are not pagan religions they are Polytheistic, there is a difference. A Pagan is a person who does not subscribe to any one of the worlds major religions, but is Pantheistic in approach ie. takes a little from each.
Old 25-02-2005, 10:11   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
What happens when the dog dies? Is the person free to marry a human being then?

Seeing they are so young when they marry the puppies I was wondering if i affects them for life or if they grow up to lead a normal life, marry and have human children. (well they wouldn't have puppies would they? lol)
Well I have been told that if my mother found out (about something I had done) she would have kittens...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 10:14   #8
Resident Waffler

My mother was always having kittens. I never got to see any of them though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 15:39   #9
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
I have told Willow that when we get to Tunisia, I will not accept less than three camels for her and they better be good'uns too!
Old 25-02-2005, 19:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
I have told Willow that when we get to Tunisia, I will not accept less than three camels for her and they better be good'uns too!
You know how they castrate camels?
Two nori's, banged together... does it hurt?
Only if you get your thumbs in the way!!

Boom boom!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 19:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener
You know how they castrate camels?
Two nori's, banged together... does it hurt?
Only if you get your thumbs in the way!!

Boom boom!!
Sorry, going 'off thread'

What was a serious start is now degenerating!

Still, better being on here than having to watch Eastenders!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote

« 17 magpies. | pope »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..