Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2007, 12:14   #1
Resident Waffler

Intelligent children from poor backgrounds fall behind........

..........less intelligent children from well to do backgrounds. According to the News, children from poor families don't do well at school because their parents do not talk to them about car numbers, they do not have books in the house, and the parents don't take as much interest in the children's schooling.

Are they making an incorrect assumption? Does poverty automatically mean that the parents don't take an interest in their children or talk to them. I would disagree with that. There are an awful lot of parents who seem not to give a tuppeny fig about their children's education but is that because they are poor? Or is it because they are far too self centred?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2007, 12:26   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Intelligent children from poor backgrounds fall behind........

proffessionally...... i know poor children that are doing really well because their parents spend more time with them, i also know children from more privelidged backgrounds that are not because their parents are too busy, obviously it has to do with the parents, not the amount of money... what exactly is their definition of poor? when i was on benefits we bought books every week from the charity shop.. i still say that my lad is such a good talker because we lived alone and if i hadnt talked to him i could have gone a week without speaking... i chatted to him about everything, constantly....we didnt have a tv until he was 18 months old, because it was a luxury, not a necessaty, so we read and talked and played and went out for walks... ,my lad is well ahead of his peers and reads everything he sees(including tampax boxes in the asda!)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 12:27   #3
God Member

Hmmm, would it not be, that the less money you had the more interest you would take? Can't give them material stuff, so give them what you can, more time?

If someone is poor, are they not less likely to be self centred?

I don't know, cos I'm sure there are some parents that are poor, those that get an average income and then those who are well off and I am sure that a certain amount of all of them don't care about there kids education. Not just cos someone is poor or rich, just cos they care
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 12:33   #4
God Member

"They looked at test studies of children from various income groups at the ages of three and five. "

Ah well thats conclusive evidence isn't it Can't these survey people get proper jobs that have some worth or what ?
Old 13-12-2007, 12:37   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post

I don't know, cos I'm sure there are some parents that are poor, those that get an average income and then those who are well off and I am sure that a certain amount of all of them don't care about there kids education. Not just cos someone is poor or rich, just cos they care

Should read " Not just cos someone is poor or rich, just cos they *don't* care"

Ooops
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 12:42   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
"They looked at test studies of children from various income groups at the ages of three and five. "

Ah well thats conclusive evidence isn't it Can't these survey people get proper jobs that have some worth or what ?
eh?? according to many of the people whos ideas were used to form the national curriculum said that children cant read properly until the age of 7, they are actually remembering, not reading,( you know they are reading when they can work out a word they have never seen before) i know alot of children can read before 7 but the majority cant, so should they not have tested at this age? you would also think that the children would be tested at school age.. its not anly the children that need the guidance of teaching professionals....some parents dont know how to help their children.. another problem that i have found is that not all parents can speak or read english and therefore cant help their children..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 13-12-2007, 13:16   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
my lad is well ahead of his peers and reads everything he sees(including tampax boxes in the asda!)
now thats dedicated reading hehehehehe

Sorry found that sooo funny << not very intellectual

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 13:22   #8
Senior Member+

i didnt find it funny at the time!! not as bad as the time he asked me.. very loud!! what condoms where...i have to be careful when i am typing messages because he will read them over my shoulder!

Old 13-12-2007, 13:27   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think many of these surveys are bags of crap, the most precious commodity ANY parent (Rich or Poor) can give a child is TIME. it wont make em all masterminds, but it will make em ok.
Old 13-12-2007, 16:43   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Intelligent children from poor backgrounds fall behind........

Of course they do, the system is against them, they end up being used as factory fodder by the children with a lot less intelligence but had the good fortune to go to Public schools.

All you have to do is be stuck in, watching daytime T.V. when for example, horse racing, ski-ing and other such sports are broadcast and you can see the idiots that run the country wasting time and money because they have others to do the work for them!

There are the odd few ordinary folk, that raise their heads above the mire, but they would never be accepted as 'proper people', because no matter what they do the system is against them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:52   #11
Resident Waffler

I think it's upside down logic. They look at children who aren't doing very well and they look at the income level of the family and they conclude that poverty leads to them falling behind at school. They may be missing out on a common denominator. The parents may be totally disinterested in everything which results in them having no job and consequently being poor and also results in them taking no interest in their children. They are assuming that A causes B when in fact it is C which causes both A and B whilst there are many poor families who do not fall into the C category so their children do not fall into the B category but these have been disregarded because they have only been looking at the children who are failing.

Old 13-12-2007, 17:03   #12
Junior Member+

wot a load of rubbish my 3 boys are all doing well in there life i spent hours reading and talking to them my ex left me with three boys youngest being 3months old my eldest been in the navy for 22yrs we were very poor when they were young i am very proud of all 3 ///burt
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 17:34   #13
Beacon of light

In an intelligent child poverty can be a driving factor.
I came from a poor background....and did not do particularly well at school.....but this was not because my parents did not care...or because they had no time for me......we always had books in the house.
My brothers fared better, and one went to Grammar school and one went to Technical College...yet we all had the same upbringing.

I think it is too simplistic to link two things together and think that you have the answer......the problems of education are multifaceted.
Education methods have changed, and it appears, not for the better.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 17:45   #14
Resting in Peace

I'm still of the opinion that the demise of the Grammar Schools hasn't helped the situation. OK, the 11+ wasn't perfect, but it did allow children from less income homes to attend this type of school, which nobody can deny, were the best type of education for pupils more academically gifted, no matter what type of background.

Yes, of course, reading to a child, talking to them, etc., does help tremendously, but they have got to have an inroad from the schools to follow this through.

I was lucky enough (at the time) to be able to afford to send my son to an independent Grammar School by prioritizing my income, and the best thing I ever did in my life. There was not one day when he grumbled about going to school. Not just the education, but the discipline, facilities, surroundings and teaching they provide. They are only carrying on what the state Grammar Schools provided. Even, the government grants have now been stopped to these schools .. shame.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 17:55   #15
Resident Waffler

Yes I agree, this idea that all children should be educated equally is not a good idea. All children are not the same and lumping them all together means no-one benefits because the brighter ones are held back and become bored whilst the ones who struggle find it hard to keep up.

All children should have equal opportunity but should be taught at their own level.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..