Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 09:53   #301
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
An Accy Webber let me see the letter they wrote to the Observer.

Pointing out the reported guff last week, was not in fact what our council did..

That was something totally different, to what they're now pretending they voted to support.

The actual resolution they voted to support stated, and I quote...

'...barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells.'

Sadly the Observer didn't print the Accy Webber's letter.

Maybe embarrassment, because their reporter sat there Twittering proceedings, as this gross abuse of local government time sadly passed him by?

This is as blatant an attempt at a whitewash, as anything carried out in the Whitehouse, by that other liar, Richard Nixon.
they did not print mine either,which is further proof to me,that the paper has gone to the dogs, twas the reason i bought one this week.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21   #302
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they did not print mine either,which is further proof to me,that the paper has gone to the dogs, twas the reason i bought one this week.
Demand your money back cashy
Old 03-12-2011, 10:30   #303
Senior Member+

If the Councillors won't come on here to answer the question as to how and why they supported the Kashmir motion, let's try them with another one.

Why have the minutes of the Council meeting that include the Council resolution not been posted on the website? It was held on 10th November, some 24 days ago. It can't be because they have yet to be approved, because draft minutes are normally on the website within days.

And it can't be due to a backlog, because the draft minutes of Cabinet, held two weeks AFTER Council, have been on the website now for several days.

Do I detect some information management on the part of the Council?

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31   #304
God Member

I suspect the reason that the Accy Observer has not corrected its earlier inaccurate report on the Kashmir motion is that to do so would not correlate with its political stance. The AO is no longer an independent local newspaper but is part of the MEN newspaper group, which is in turn a subsidiary of Trinity Mirror. There can be no doubt as to exactly where TM owes its political allegiance and where it’s sympathies lie and that is with Labour with a strong dose of wet liberalism. While I have no problem with national newspapers maintaining a political slant – we can, after all, choose between reading Tory, Labour or Lib-Dregs inclined newspapers – the matter of a local newspaper doing so – especially a weekly one which has an effective monopoly on printed news for the town is entirely different.

Discounting the Lancashire Telegraph – which is a sub- regional paper and as rarely covers Hyndburn issues in any depth – we are left only with the AO. At one time, the Observer would have seized upon this story and followed on with a full editorial piece demanding just what the hell was the council playing at. Sadly, those days have gone. We are now left with a pathetic little rag were the most detailed coverage of local events are the regular photographs that appear, which invariably are either those of sunsets over Accy or a picture of a tree rat taken in someone’s back garden.

Neverthess, the AO still has a loyal (but declining) following of local readership, but how many are now fully aware of the hidden agenda of the paper? Very few, I think. Yet I would have thought that with the problem of declining newspaper circulation, a story such as the Kashmir business would, if fully and factually reported under the headline banner, have given a much needed boost to the paper. Facts are sacred and comment is free, but on this sad occasion, the Observer has none and has failed miserably.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 13:42   #305
I am Banned

Jeez this thread has over 300 replies so Groove thought he ought to have his 2 pennuth....there you go.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 13:58   #306
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I suspect the reason that the Accy Observer has not corrected its earlier inaccurate report on the Kashmir motion is that to do so would not correlate with its political stance. The AO is no longer an independent local newspaper but is part of the MEN newspaper group, which is in turn a subsidiary of Trinity Mirror. There can be no doubt as to exactly where TM owes its political allegiance and where it’s sympathies lie and that is with Labour with a strong dose of wet liberalism. While I have no problem with national newspapers maintaining a political slant – we can, after all, choose between reading Tory, Labour or Lib-Dregs inclined newspapers – the matter of a local newspaper doing so – especially a weekly one which has an effective monopoly on printed news for the town is entirely different.

Discounting the Lancashire Telegraph – which is a sub- regional paper and as rarely covers Hyndburn issues in any depth – we are left only with the AO. At one time, the Observer would have seized upon this story and followed on with a full editorial piece demanding just what the hell was the council playing at. Sadly, those days have gone. We are now left with a pathetic little rag were the most detailed coverage of local events are the regular photographs that appear, which invariably are either those of sunsets over Accy or a picture of a tree rat taken in someone’s back garden.

Neverthess, the AO still has a loyal (but declining) following of local readership, but how many are now fully aware of the hidden agenda of the paper? Very few, I think. Yet I would have thought that with the problem of declining newspaper circulation, a story such as the Kashmir business would, if fully and factually reported under the headline banner, have given a much needed boost to the paper. Facts are sacred and comment is free, but on this sad occasion, the Observer has none and has failed miserably.
First class post Tealeaf, think you've hit the nail right on the head
Old 03-12-2011, 14:51   #307
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Off the top off my head, (please don't assume these statistics are based in any way, shape or form upon facts), I would estimate that 75% of them just aren't bothered.
Yes who know.

Perhaps they don't care, but I piggin' do.

Like every other person who's posted, and who thinks what the council did was very, very wrong.

The only thing we do know as fact is that Hyndburn now offically supports the Pakistani side in Kashmir.

Those they are in conflict with, the people of India, are offically recorded in the resolution H.B.C. passed as being 'gang raping, child shooting, prisoner burning, barbarians'.

Nothing like a balanced perspective is there...when out to secure votes?

Sadly this is nothing like balance, and does not even attempt to address the recorded atrocities carried out by BOTH sides in this conflict.

Shameful.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:54   #308
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes who know.

Perhaps they don't care, but I piggin' do.

Like every other person who's posted, and who thinks what the council did was very, very wrong.

The only thing we do know as fact is that Hyndburn now offically supports the Pakistani side in Kashmir.

Those they are in conflict with, the people of India, are offically recorded in the resolution H.B.C. passed as being 'gang raping, child shooting, prisoner burning, barbarians'.

Nothing like a balanced perspective is there...when out to secure votes?

Sadly this is nothing like balance, and does not even attempt to address the recorded atrocities carried out by BOTH sides in this conflict.

Shameful.

Ya but theres not too many Indians living in Hyndburn, so not vote worthy
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42   #309
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Why have the minutes of the Council meeting that include the Council resolution not been posted on the website? It was held on 10th November, some 24 days ago.
Still nothing. Follow progress for yourselves.

Council

We could have a sweep. Which will appear first - the minutes of November Council.......or the first cuckoo in Spring?

Old 07-12-2011, 15:41   #310
God Member

My money would be on the cuckoo, gynn - every time.
Old 07-12-2011, 17:39   #311
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Still nothing. Follow progress for yourselves.

Council

We could have a sweep. Which will appear first - the minutes of November Council.......or the first cuckoo in Spring?

I here the cuckoos live in Scaitcliffe

I here the cuckoos live in Scaitcliffe house 52 weeks a year gynn
Old 07-12-2011, 19:02   #312
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I hear the same making you 2 cuckoos.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:14   #313
Senior Member+

We finally have the minute of the motion passed by Council on 10th November:

"That this Council supports the Kashmiri community here in Hyndburn and the peoples of Jammu and Kashmir to bring about genuine initiatives aimed at ending the violence and suffering and in favour of a just and lasting peace settlement; that the British government should not itself prescribe any one
solution to the problem of Kashmir and that it resolutely opposes all forms of terrorism and violence, including the use of abduction, torture, murder and rape as instruments in any political cause and calls on all sides in this dispute tocondemn such incidents and to observe in full, international standards of human rights and the right of the people of Jammu and Kashmir to determine their own future in a free, fair and transparent manner. The Council welcomes the helpful dialogue between the Hyndburn MP, Graham Jones, and those seeking the right to Kashmiri self-determination. The Council therefore resolves to write to the Foreign Office Minister to bring his attention to this issue."

Seems ok to me. The Council has a responsibility to serve its residents, and if there is a group resident in the borough from an overseas territory who bring to the attention of the Council an apparent injustice, the Council has a right to bring that to the attention of the relevant Government Department, in this case the Foreign Office.

Which is precisely what the Council has done. Well done HBC.

Its just a shame that what I have just written could have been said two months ago by a Council representative on this website, to avoid the speculation that ensued.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56   #314
Super Moderator

Quote:
We finally have the minute of the motion passed by Council on 10th November:

"That this Council supports the Kashmiri community here in Hyndburn and the peoples of Jammu and Kashmir to bring about genuine initiatives aimed at ending the violence and suffering and in favour of a just and lasting peace settlement; that the British government should not itself prescribe any one
solution to the problem of Kashmir and that it resolutely opposes all forms of terrorism and violence, including the use of abduction, torture, murder and rape as instruments in any political cause and calls on all sides in this dispute tocondemn such incidents and to observe in full, international standards of human rights and the right of the people of Jammu and Kashmir to determine their own future in a free, fair and transparent manner. The Council welcomes the helpful dialogue between the Hyndburn MP, Graham Jones, and those seeking the right to Kashmiri self-determination. The Council therefore resolves to write to the Foreign Office Minister to bring his attention to this issue."

Seems ok to me. The Council has a responsibility to serve its residents, and if there is a group resident in the borough from an overseas territory who bring to the attention of the Council an apparent injustice, the Council has a right to bring that to the attention of the relevant Government Department, in this case the Foreign Office.

Which is precisely what the Council has done. Well done HBC.

Its just a shame that what I have just written could have been said two months ago by a Council representative on this website, to avoid the speculation that ensued.
Well, it doesn't seem ok to me. HBC should be concentrating their priorities on sorting problems out in Hyndburn, NOT in Kashmir.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24   #315
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, it doesn't seem ok to me. HBC should be concentrating their priorities on sorting problems out in Hyndburn, NOT in Kashmir.
Hear, hear

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..