Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 22:40   #46

Re: Intolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Just a note, even at it's largest the British Empire never covered a third of the globe, it was about a quarter.
Well I said "almost".There isn't much difference between 25% and nearly 33% is there?I'd also like to ask,how do you know,where you there?lol
Old 10-10-2005, 23:38   #47
Give, give, give member

Tolerance. Laudible sentiment, but I fear it'll never happen.

It's human nature. There's never been any time, or any society, that has lived peacefully.

It always makes me laugh with football supporters, especially Celtic and Rangers, though they are not alone, hate each other, and will try to kick each others asses, but when it comes to the national side, these mortal enemys will join forces and direct theit hatred at another perceived enemy, especially if it's England.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:40   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER
Well I said "almost".There isn't much difference between 25% and nearly 33% is there?I'd also like to ask,how do you know,where you there?lol

If you win the lottery Pilky, I'll take a third of your winnings rather than a quarter then, if there's not that much difference.

I'll also tell you if I was there.

Old 10-10-2005, 23:41   #49
God Member

Quote:
Tolerance. Laudible sentiment, but I fear it'll never happen.

It's human nature. There's never been any time, or any society, that has lived peacefully.

It always makes me laugh with football supporters, especially Celtic and Rangers, though they are not alone, hate each other, and will try to kick each others asses, but when it comes to the national side, these mortal enemys will join forces and direct theit hatred at another perceived enemy, especially if it's England.
You couldnt have picked a better example for hypocritical behavior. Team on team will fill the local hospitals but nation on nation they want a rerun of Bannockburn very very weird.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The US flag used to be prominent in classrooms over there. I've heard this is no longer the case. Could it be that they are in danger of sliding down the slippery slope along with us now?
Unfortunately Willow you are correct. I'm afraid the perception, on this thread anyway, that America does not have the same problems as the UK is off by a long shot. We have exactly the same problems here with the PC brigade. Recently in a town in Alabama, I think it was, there was a collage in the entrance to one of the municipal buildings which had the ten commandments on it. They have been pressurised into taking it away so as not to offend any other religious sect. There are strong movements to have the words "under God" taken out of the oath of allegience. All the complaints which I have read on this thread compare to similarities over this side of the pond. America strives very hard to be a true multicultural society but, like the UK, too many of the immigrants do not want to intigrate and live tolerant lives within the established society, they want to take it over or dramatically change it. I really don't know what the answer to this is. I'm not even sure there is an answer. Maybe multicultural societies are unworkable and are really not a good idea, I don't know. If everyone was tolerant etc. they would work, but in the real world people are not tolerant, especially of other religions. So there is always strife. I personally have no religious affiliations being agnostic, but I don't believe I should come to live in America and try to make them take words out of their oath of allegience which has been around for centuries. I try to fit in with the American way of life and I think I succeed reasonably well with that.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 12-10-2005 at 11:00.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:57   #51
Beacon of light

I suppose it depends what you mean by multi-cultural......if you mean many cultures living side by side, each allowed to do their own thing.....then maybe, just maybe there is a chance......but if you mean one culture adopting the ideals of another then I think you are right......much has been made of forcing the issues in multi-culturalism, and this has done nothing to move forward the abilities of different cultures to live together.......the only real way to get cultures to mix is for inter-marriage over generations......that is the only way you get a mix of cultures.

One of the greatest ways to foster intolerance is to favour the ethnic groups over the indigent population......and whether it is true or not, that is what the general population believes happens here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 14:00   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
.... too many of the immigrants do not want to intigrate and live tollerant lives within the established society, they want to take it over or dramatically change it.
The indiginous native Americans would agree with you there.

Old 11-10-2005, 20:28   #53

Quote:
The indiginous native Americans would agree with you there.
Well, they will have to take it up with the British, French and Spanish of a bygone age eh?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 20:34   #54
God Member

Europeans went awandering around the world and caused more trouble in a couple of hundred years than any other set of explorers. Wonder why that is oh yes relegion politics and the natives not being civilised bit wierd that.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-10-2005, 21:00   #55
Beacon of light

Well, whatever was done in the past is done. We have to try and live with the consequences......what we should be doing is making sure that we don't leave a similar mess for our children and our childrens children to sort out.

I think it is very difficult at the time to know if what you are doing is the right thing.....and our forbears did what I suppose they thought was right at the time.

Many atrocities are carried out in the name of religion.....and we don't have to look very far to see the results of some of them......but it is really fanaticism in religion that is the problem....moderates rarely would kill anyone. It has been happening since the dawn of time......The Crusades spring to mind.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 21:39   #56
God Member

The wat things are going it could be like the crusades again except some countries have the capacity to do some real harm. I dont think we really learned from the mistakes in the past and will just carry on with the hatred and mistrust.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 12-10-2005, 08:39   #57
Resident Waffler

Quote:

Maybe what we need is the fear of an invasion from outer space to unite humanity against a common enemy. Then we might get a "Star Trek" situation of a harmonious group of people of all shades and cultures actually getting along with each other, living and working together. (Yes, I know I'm daydreaming)

I wonder why it is that people only seem able to unite if they perceive an outside threat.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:31   #58
God Member

Quote:

Maybe what we need is the fear of an invasion from outer space to unite humanity against a common enemy. Then we might get a "Star Trek" situation of a harmonious group of people of all shades and cultures actually getting along with each other, living and working together. (Yes, I know I'm daydreaming)

I wonder why it is that people only seem able to unite if they perceive an outside threat.
How can we be sure it might not happen life is tenacius and could be up there having a gander at us and proberly laughing as well. It would be a poor do if Mister and Misses I M A Martian is needed to unite us a bit even for a short time.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-10-2005, 03:42   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

What a wonderful idea instead of killing people of different cultures and faiths we can all join together and kill Klingons, Borgs etc, etc.

Yippee, intolerance still lives,
It's just that we would be
Boldly killing what we
never killed before!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 07:17   #60
Resident Waffler

...........or "unboldly" running away from it like Tom Cruise!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..