Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 14:41   #1
God Member

Intolerance

After a few days rolling it round my head and what has been happening lately i decided to take the plunge on this subject. There seems to be intolerance on a scale that is growing and is starting to eat away at everything and anyone regardless of who they are. Grego posted the other night in reply to the religious intolerance I myself see up here yet it is creeping in everywere. We have seen it with banning piglet, the meat stinks threads for 2 examples. Even the euthanasia one was getting hot for a while.

We need to learn to be tolerent of others and their all but they to need to learn to be tollerent of what we believe. I see people fighting because they are of the wrong religion or the wrong football team which is to me stupid. I have watched and learned from this also the fact that being English did not go down to well at first. The attacks were at the english in general but as i was there i got the verbal kicking. Now I must admit I laugh at it and let them have their own opinion and they let me have mine. Mutual understanding wins on that count.

All it takes is a little time to listen and understand. There is too much agrravation as it is because people do not listen or understand or they do not want to. We are a multi cultural multi ethnical multi lingual society so now maybe its time to start learning about each outher and the beliefs they hold. If we show the way then others might follow and if they choose not too at least we can hold are heads high because at least we tried. Doesnt matter if christian hindu muslim athiest vegitarian meat love pro life anti whatever we have to try because if we dont society will fallinto little cliques based on beliefs and ultimately damage it beyond repair.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2005, 14:48   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Intolerance

I know what you mean Spuggie......it seems as if everyone has an axe to grind over something or other. But, don't you think that the media does a lot of pot stirring....?
They take seemingly innocuous situations and whip them up into great big issues.....things that we shouldn't even give a second thought to.

The posts, well.... they are like any discussion. It sometimes gets a bit heated, but everyone deserves to have their say.....and while I may not always agree with what people on here say......I would defend their right to be heard. In most cases it is just a load of hot air anyway. Live and let live should be our motto.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 14:50   #3
Beacon of light

The other thing about being able to post threads which seem a bit contentious is, it allows you to get things off your chest...and sometimes once you have read what other people have to say it gives the issue a different complexion.
Old 08-10-2005, 15:17   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Could I just ask, in what way did you think the meat stinks thread was intolerent?

Was it intolerent because the person that started it doesn't seem to be able to tolerate meat eaters, or was it intolerent because people like me will leave such folk to starve to death if that is their wish so long as they don't try to convert me or perhaps the more vulnerable and eaily swayed youth that come on here?
If it was the former then I can understand what your saying, if however it is the latter, then surely the playing field has been set against the 'normal' members of society, you know, those of us that want to get on with our own lives within the law without idiots forcing their views down our necks.

By the way anyone got any idea why the 'meat stinks' thread was closed? expat was proving to be the first veggie I've ever met that has the strength to maintain a sense of humour!

Last edited by Less; 08-10-2005 at 15:19.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 15:20   #5
Beacon of light

It might have been closed because it wasn't going anywhere.....and it was getting a bit heated. (I quite like a hot thread).
Old 08-10-2005, 16:02   #6
God Member

Less it was the former concerning the meat thread. Everyone is entitled to their own views but there seems to be in the country in general a one sided field to which we have to bow or be damned. That kind of intolerence burns me especially if religiously motovated. If people want to convert that is their chioce unless forced upon them.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 21:38   #7
God Member

Spuggie this is a good thread, I've let my feelings known in other threads, I believe in live and let live, the extremists well thats a different matter. I think most people just get on with their own thing and wouldn't preach to others, and I do believe that its the media that stirs up trouble. The PC brigade, well, they have gone too far its ridiculous, in our house, Ellie has a blackboard and a Wendy house!

Last edited by grego; 08-10-2005 at 21:39.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 21:47   #8
God Member

By trying to appear tolerant we (and by that I'm generalising) have become less tolerant. We have to be so careful about what we say so that we don't offend that we end up patronising people.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 22:33   #9
Resident Waffler

I believe it's perfectly possible to tolerate another person's viewpoint and still strongly maintain your own.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 22:49   #10

Utter B@~llocks Spuggie.Life just doesn't and isn't working that way.It will never be 'mutual' because they choose to have their 'cliques' and not integrate.They hold the Ace card because you say one word against them you are racist when in fact THEY are the racists.Soon we'll be getting arrested for waving the St Georges Flag or for wearing an England shirt.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 23:06   #11
God Member

damn or be damned. This is my country and nobody: black white, yellow or whatever is gonna tell me what i can or cant do in my own country. Masybe i've got the wrong idea on this thread but, when i see jobs being advertised as speaking Urdu or Punjabi a necessity I think bollox, this is our country and anybody who WANTS or NEEDS to move to uor country should be willing or able to accept our language. ways and culture. The issues of pub landlords not getting extensions for St Georges day but same pub getting extension for China day or Independence Day or St Mustapha day or whatever is ludicrous.

Our government and/or people are that afraid of upsetting foreigners that they/we are upsetting the average Joe by not allowing freedom of movement and speech by white nationals. We ARE English, we ARE here rightfully, we ARE the dominant populace and WE WILL DEFEND OUR RIGHT TO EXPRESS OUR PATRIOTISM WITHOUT PREJUDICE. If I want to fly my flag, I WILL, If I want to put pigs in my window, I WILL. And if I want to eat black jelly babies and eat their heads first then I will and be damned anybody who tells me otherwise.

Rant finished
Old 08-10-2005, 23:14   #12

Wahey,standing ovation.Arise Sir Enoch (maccawozzagod) Powell.I'm impressed.
Old 08-10-2005, 23:30   #13
white rabbits

>,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil: I AGREE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RULE BRITANIA
Old 08-10-2005, 23:56   #14

Rule Britannia even...lol.Many years ago a man named Enoch Powell(1968) made a speech in Birmingham.If I was wearing a hat right now I would take it off in respect for this great man.He was right,he wasn't racist,HE WAS RIGHT.
http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/powell_press.htm
Old 09-10-2005, 07:03   #15

I would just like to to say my intentions with the meat stinks forum was not to have a go at meat eaters, I was not knocking them at all,infact all I was trying to do is open up a debate, or maybe for people to repond in a positive manor.But judging from the responces out there, it seemed to me certain people just want to belittle you are respond in an agressive way.[QUOTE]Mine doesn't, it smells like pot pouirri[QUOTE]I for one would be quite prepared to eat a lovely crispy vegetarian! Because the only way they seem to be able to get rid of the wind their diet creates is to spread their cr*p around for the rest of us to endure! [QUOTE] I for one could stand my corner with these sort of people but then the forum spirals into a slanging match . and people reading the forum learn nothing, and the Moderator has to step in and close the forum which is a shame.
I have stood outside circuses holding a placard while families go in to watch a Elephant do tricks on roller skates, not once have I been aggresive towards these poeple my object just make them stop and think,you do get the aggresive people there to like'' Get job"' or" have you nothing better to do", but on the odd occasion you get someone that comes out afterwards and says " It was pitiful to see the Elephant" then all that abuse pales in significance.
I have suggested that they should open up a forum called Wanna Argue I think it would be good fun and people could vote on whose winning the Argument
expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..