Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 13:43   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Is it me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No, but that's because they got married at 16.

...and of course, before 1961, no bride ever walked up the aisle with a dress that was growing tighter by the minute.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2010, 13:51   #17
God Member

Perhaps the problem these days isn't the fact that young people get pregnant (that's always been the same), perhaps its because liberal parents refuse to take the shotgun approach to marching people up the aisle.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 13:53   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I was almost 19, and was still a virgin on my wedding day, despite a two year long engagement.

'Heavy petting' was acceptable and did relieve the tension somewhat.

Society's attitudes have changed a lot since those days.
Virginity is no longer a virtue, and, thinking about it, perhaps it never should have been considered so.
I think attitudes have changed in the last thirty years.

When Lady Diana Spencer became engaged to Prince Charles, her uncle publicly proclaimed her virginity. (Though goodness knows how he knew!)

Thirty years later, the woman likely to be Queen of England, Kate Middleton, has been living as (unwed) man and wife with Prince William for years, and reportedly didn't enter his bed pure as the driven snow.

Humans are no different from any other rutting animals.

I'm just happy I'm waiting for someone worthy enough.

Old 12-09-2010, 13:58   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Perhaps the problem these days isn't the fact that young people get pregnant (that's always been the same), perhaps its because liberal parents refuse to take the shotgun approach to marching people up the aisle.
Generally people that were 'caught', did get marched up the aisle. As long as one wasn't already married. Otherwise the girl would be sent off to some Dickensian home for unmarried mothers.

I wonder how many people who were forced to marry, spent miserably unhappy lives, tied to people they had nothing in common with, other than having shared a youthful tryst, that resulted in a pregnancy?

Old 12-09-2010, 14:01   #20
Give, give, give member

By the way, I do think chastity is important.

I'd much rather young people be taught that their bodies are precious, and mindless sex shouldn't be entered into lightly.

Teach respect, not rubbers.

Old 12-09-2010, 14:10   #21
Give, give, give member

The 'I want, I want, I want it now' generation.

I blame Thatcher.

Old 12-09-2010, 14:47   #22

Less here to be going on with,hope it doesn't spoil your tea.
05661mwf4 - Desi Video Network
http://www.brook.org.uk/

Last edited by Lampman; 12-09-2010 at 14:54.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 14:58   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
By the way, I do think chastity is important.

I'd much rather young people be taught that their bodies are precious, and mindless sex shouldn't be entered into lightly.

Teach respect, not rubbers.
I think that is an important point Gary.
So many young people want to be seen as 'grown up'....and I have no issues with this. If a young person enters into sexual relationships with the full knowledge of the risks they are taking, and does something positive to minimise those risks....then that is evidence that they are grown up.
It seems to me that virginity in both young men and young women is seen as a burden...something to be got rid of. How sad this concept is, that they feel they are not worthy to wait for that someone special.
Meaningless sexual activity is no more than a bit of exercise...a run on a treadmill. How very sad that is.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 15:26   #24
God Member

The concept of being a virtuous virgin at the altar was a disaster for me.
I spent a two year engagement supressing my physical instincts only to be seriously disappointed when they were (not) 'fulfilled'.

The engagement period was so intensely concentrated on controlling the physical, that the other aspects -ie. whether we were compatible in that and other ways, did not surface for consideration.

As it turned out we were incompatable in both, and eventually mutually agreed on divorce.

If I had defied convention and released that 'supression of urges', I would have realised that we were not suited to spend a lifetime together.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 15:33   #25
BOB

NHS outreach workers are out in accrington most nights talking to young people doing tests etc Chlamydia Screening - The National Chlamydia Screening Programme is well underway
with b-sure being the brand name of our local screening programme.
If this target is to be achieved an increase in screening volumes must peak in community
services such as Contraceptive and Sexual Health Services, General Practice and
Pharmacies. A Local Enhanced Service has been developed with funding incentives for
GPs and Pharmacists in an effort to increase screening volumes. Screening will be
targeted through schools and colleges, pubs and clubs, sports clubs and other areas
where young people congregate, building on the lessons learnt
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 15:45   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB View Post
Screening will be
targeted through schools and colleges, pubs and clubs, sports clubs and other areas
where young people congregate, building on the lessons learnt

So it's not excaclty being walked up to in the street by complete strangers and ferried off for a test then ?
Old 12-09-2010, 16:07   #27

Oh yes it is!
Sorry couldn't resist.
Well I think I have gleaned a cross section of opinion divided between the doubters to the concerned members.
So really if we deny that it's happening,do we really care?
I suppose at the end of the day,the next few years will tell the tale if STD's/STI's are contained and teenage pregnancies plunge.
We should all be concerned though as at the end of the day we foot the bill.
Old 12-09-2010, 17:01   #28
God Member

I still can't figure out what this thread is getting at ?

Are you saying it's wrong for them to be given testing opportunites and educated on the issues ?
Old 12-09-2010, 17:10   #29

I am questioning the fact that this is being done with young kids well below the age of legal consent.This is without the knowledge of parents who contary to belief might just be concerned enough at what could be termed social engineering.
The fact that these services are being carried out can promote the young to believe that unless you are 'active' you haven't got the street cred.
Iv'e heared young lads boasting(about condoms)'I've got ten...'
A long time ago when I was their age we did this with football cards!
As I said if you are comfortable with this then I guess we can agree to differ.
Old 12-09-2010, 17:14   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman
Picture the scene your 11,12 or 13 year old child is playing out with his or her friends it is growing dark,suddenly they are approached by a group of strangers.Is it a mugging? An attempted kidnapping? Neither.' Hey you guys who wants to be tested for STD's'?

Tried to picture it, obviously not blessed with your imagination, I just cannot imagine officials of any kind roaming the streets trying to get young children to go with complete strangers to have their genitals tested. That sort of thing would I suspect only be performed in an unofficial capacity by the dirty mac brigade.[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Well for the doubting Thomas's, the event was real,it did take place and the people involved were 'Health officials'taking urine samples from the kids who volunteered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
To prove this you are of course going to put a link in to a site that can confirm such goings on?
Quote:
Less here to be going on with,hope it doesn't spoil your tea.
05661mwf4 - Desi Video Network
Home - Brook for Young People
Quote:
Oh yes it is!
Sorry couldn't resist.
Well I think I have gleaned a cross section of opinion divided between the doubters to the concerned members.
So really if we deny that it's happening,do we really care?
I suppose at the end of the day,the next few years will tell the tale if STD's/STI's are contained and teenage pregnancies plunge.
We should all be concerned though as at the end of the day we foot the bill.
Sorry but so far you haven't proved a thing, of course as responsible adults we should all care for our young and guard them from harm, but, you are talking, (Less puts on polite mode here), twaddle!

But then? What is new about that?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..