Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2006, 14:05   #61
God Member

Re: Just Been To ASDA and Im Not Happy

Bloomin heck Mr T, a lot of people do their main weakly shopping there. It would take me about 4 trips in a day there and back if I had to walk. I only have 1 pair of hands
Old 27-11-2006, 14:06   #62
God Member

But that would make me hungry and then I'd have to buy extra food and that would mean extra transportation of goods and that would mean more wagons on the roads and that would mean more exploitation of the farmers/food suppliers by WalMart and its ilk and thats bad so I'll just drive thanks

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 14:10   #63
I am Banned

Tealeaf you havent answered my question about corsa's.
silvermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 14:16   #64
God Member

Its got a vauxhall badge on the front for a start, no decent size engine option, its made from tinfoil, its horrible to drive. its a magnet for additional pieces of plastic, neon lights seem to weld themselves to the underneath and no-one seems able to fit a decent stereo system that isn't distorting the sound till its sounds like a cello blowing raspberries.

Old 27-11-2006, 14:21   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermain View Post
Tealeaf you havent answered my question about corsa's.
Corsas are garbage. Are you happy now?

Lets get back to the main subject, namely that of ASDA. Personally, I try and avoid the place as much as possible. I would much rather put money into the pockets of the small Accrington stallholder than those of the bloated fat-cats of the Walmart Corporation of America. At the same time, I dispense with all the unneccessary wrapping & packing and thus try and reduce the cost of garbage collection within HBC. I also walk into town, and depending on the load, walk back or catch a thing called a bus, thus further helping to protect the environment.

No wonder Accy has one of the country's highest obesity rates with attitudes such as those posted on here.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 14:29   #66
Resident Waffler

The thing called a bus is not going into the ASDA carpark at present as previously reported.

You are fortunately one of those fit enough to be able to walk back and forth to ASDA, not everyone is but unfortunately there are plenty of people with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude like yours.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 14:42   #67
God Member

Right, buses in Hyndburn

If I'm lucky they are every 30 mins or so to town from where I live then its about 10 mins walk to asda, so to do a full shop I could end up with 5 mins walk to bus stop, up to 30 mins wait at one end, 10 mins to town, 10 mins walk, 60 mins shopping, carrying 3 ton of shopping back to bus station(15 mins), wait for bus again, probably 10-15 mins, 10 mins bus ride, 5 mins walk to my house.

or jump in car, 10 mins there (oh and I can choose which supermarket, Tescos would be even longer by bus), 60 mins shop, put stuff in car and 10 mins home.

Now I like to support local traders where possible and much prefer shopping on markets and taking my hypothetical asda shop detailed above, I can goto Bury market and do it all there quicker than catching a bus to asda. which is preferable then, using my car to support local traders(oh and teh quality of goods is far superior on Bury market) or trying to be green by using public transport to shop at WALMart.(BTW, my car is far greener than most being LPG)

Old 27-11-2006, 14:45   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The thing called a bus is not going into the ASDA carpark at present as previously reported.

You are fortunately one of those fit enough to be able to walk back and forth to ASDA, not everyone is but unfortunately there are plenty of people with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude like yours.
The reason "I'm all right" is that I make an effort and walk around the market to buy most items that are otherwise available at ASDA. The last time I looked, the bus station was right next door to the market, so I cannot see any excuse there.

Aside from the issues of choice and mobility, I really do not see any other reason for people to shop in ASDA. The quality of their fresh produce - veg, fruit, meat, fish is rubbish and possibly their only saving grace is their cheap clothes range. Still, waste your money there if you wish, but don't complain when you do.
Old 27-11-2006, 15:00   #69
I am Banned

Whats wrong with having that attitude? Its not our problem old people cant walk far is it. When i become like that i will get one of those little scooter thingys.
Old 27-11-2006, 15:02   #70
Resident Waffler

Are you talking about Accy market???????????

I wish they did have everything I need to buy. I would gladly shop there if it were the case.

Old 27-11-2006, 15:04   #71
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermain View Post
Whats wrong with having that attitude? Its not our problem old people cant walk far is it. When i become like that i will get one of those little scooter thingys.
Ah well, I tend to look at things from the point of view of the person who is having difficulties rather than saying it doesn't affect me so I don't care. Those 'little scooter thingies' aren't cheap and nowhere near all elderly people need to use them.

Old 27-11-2006, 15:05   #72
God Member

Accy 'market' is quite simply rubbish.

Bury market is a different league

Old 27-11-2006, 15:07   #73
Resident Waffler

You know if we all just accepted whatever we were fobbed off with, without having a moan about thngs we don't like then we'd end up going from bad to worse because 'they' would know we would accept any old rubbish without complaint. But hey ho pass me Peter Britcliffe's rosy specs and no doubt all will be hunky dory.

Old 27-11-2006, 15:51   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Accy 'market' is quite simply rubbish.

Bury market is a different league
Which proves my point exactly - this is what happens when local people do not support their local market. Still, I prefer to use what's left than to shop in ASDA.

Its quite a while since I visited Bury market. I think I'll give it a try this Christmas.
Old 27-11-2006, 18:01   #75
I am Banned

I know they aint cheap willow but not my problem

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..