Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2009, 01:59   #106
God Member

Re: Kids behavior no worse than before

I like blinkers.. because it gets me thinking that most people on her start harking on about "when i went to " such and such a school in accy or Ossy.. it means nothing...the vast amount of posters on here will have been educated in the Accy/Osiie area .. it's Accy web.. but you lot go on as if it's all in a mess.. when the reality is that this Government has given a massive increase in education.. massive.. yet you will moan.. no not you the thread starter Jaysay.. a well known tory bod that will post propaganda at any instance...that's what this boils down too.. and poeple.. bite the bait
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2009, 02:06   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I like blinkers.. because it gets me thinking that most people on her start harking on about "when i went to " such and such a school in accy or Ossy.. it means nothing...the vast amount of posters on here will have been educated in the Accy/Osiie area .. it's Accy web.. but you lot go on as if it's all in a mess.. when the reality is that this Government has given a massive increase in education.. massive.. yet you will moan.. no not you the thread starter Jaysay.. a well known tory bod that will post propaganda at any instance...that's what this boils down too.. and poeple.. bite the bait
Oh I see now.

Any criticism of the school system reflects poorly in your opinion, because we've had a Labour government for the past twelve years?

I'm afraid my comments were more far reaching historically, than your little political bubble.

Besides, I was privately educated outside Hyndburn's boundaries, so I don't fit easily into one of your narrow little boxes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 02:07   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Tomorrow why don't you go and engage the young people of SW9, or from some of the estates behind Kings Cross, and debate with them how the education system has equipped them, both educationally and behaviourally, to face the world of today?
not what I had planned.. like I say get real..you refuse to verify that kids from Harrow have the same chance as kids from Deptford to get good education at an early age then .. ff you.. we are thinking different.. no **** to me me.. move on
Old 17-02-2009, 02:18   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:
not what I had planned.. like I say get real..you refuse to verify that kids from Harrow have the same chance as kids from Deptford to get good education at an early age then .. ff you.. we are thinking different.. no **** to me me.. move on
I'm not saying that all all.

Ninety odd years ago the kid's from a slum's education wouldn't have been that different from a boy's who'd attended Harrow, to use your example.

The same could not be said of today.

Old 17-02-2009, 02:28   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Ninety odd years ago, because of the reforms in the education system, a formal education was an entitlement for all, regardless of background. Even though children weren't educated for as many years as today, they were more literate. Everything from their copperplate handwriting, to their encyclopedic knowledge of the world testifies to this.

No arguement from me on this , places like the Mechanics Institute and the Labour sponsored WEA did great things in education which are missing today

Think one difference from 'yesterday' to 'today' is that in the past people saw an education as a step up , if only from 'loom-sweeper' to 'tackler' , there was no sense of entitlement .

Last edited by steeljack; 17-02-2009 at 02:35.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 02:35   #111
God Member

The answer my freind is blowing in the wind.. a maybe forced sexual compulsion accorded at Eton Mr Cameron!
Old 17-02-2009, 04:50   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The answer my freind is blowing in the wind.. a maybe forced sexual compulsion accorded at Eton Mr Cameron!
You know Mancie I bet your really a nice block at heart, but jess you don't half talk some crap at times
Old 17-02-2009, 05:25   #113

Quote:
Find it hard to listen to someone that has to use **** in posts about education to be honest.

Guessing you dont originate from Harrow or Eton
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 05:53   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You know Mancie I bet your really a nice block at heart, but jess you don't half talk some crap at times
yep I'm so nice .. it makes me spew up,, but I have to keep an eye on you Tories.
Old 17-02-2009, 06:12   #115
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
There are certainly a few depraved inhabitants of Accrington.
Please don't start telling us your bedroom stories on here, save it for over 18's
Old 17-02-2009, 08:44   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
yep I'm so nice .. it makes me spew up,, but I have to keep an eye on you Tories.
If I were you I'd be looking a bit closer to home Mancie
Old 17-02-2009, 23:38   #117
Give, give, give member

Watched a very interesting programme tonight on BBC4, about the role Sunday Schools played in educating children from poor backgrounds.

In the late eighteenth century teaching the working classes to read and write was seen as a radical ploy, and William Pitt tried to ban them by an act of parliament, fearing a revolution if the great unwashed had access to political pamphlets.

Many children used this step to further their education, including quite a few M.P.'s.

In 1950 50% of children went to Sunday School, and today it's less than 5%, and I suppose that includes those who are only there to secure a place at a church school.

People spoke about how they learned about others, and working for the greater good, rather than always themselves.

Although an atheist nowadays, coming from a long line of Methodists, and attending Sunday School myself until the age of sixteen, it certainly helped shape the person I am today.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | How Sunday school shaped Britain

Old 17-02-2009, 23:44   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

some interesting replies in yer link. most pro sunday school, meself i reckon theres a lot in that line of thought.
Old 17-02-2009, 23:49   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
some interesting replies in yer link. most pro sunday school, meself i reckon theres a lot in that line of thought.
Besides getting some sort of education, later on the Sunday School outing was very often the only holiday a child might expect in a year.

Plus you got books for good attendance. Any sort of books, not necessarily religious ones.

I know someone who went to Sunday School at three different churches each week, to increase their reading material.

Old 18-02-2009, 00:22   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i only went to one, but we got sweets as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..