Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2009, 14:50   #1
Resting in Peace

Kids behavior no worse than before

Was watching Breakfast TV this morning and the Governments Behavior Tsar, Sir Alan Steer, was being interviewed regarding children's class room behavior. It seems, according to this chap, that behavior is no worse now than it was in the 50s and 60s, I just don't know where they dig these people up from. In my day you didn't F and blind in class, you didn't disrespect your teachers, nor did you assault them either, and pupils being expelled or excluded was very rare and why, because if you misbehaved you knew exactly what to expect, and you deserved it too
Old 14-02-2009, 14:54   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Kids behavior no worse than before

glad i missed that or me boot would have gone through the screen.
Old 14-02-2009, 15:07   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
glad i missed that or me boot would have gone through the screen.
As luck would have it cashy I was in bed at the time or it may have got the same response from me. He's just another of the chattering classes always talking and feeling important even when talking a load of ^*@>"&?s
Old 14-02-2009, 15:10   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

how people like this are in responsible positions,is totally beyond me.
Old 14-02-2009, 15:21   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
how people like this are in responsible positions,is totally beyond me.
Well its a friend of a friend of a friend, who's not doing anything at the moment
Old 14-02-2009, 16:40   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was watching Breakfast TV this morning and the Governments Behavior Tsar, Sir Alan Steer, was being interviewed regarding children's class room behavior. It seems, according to this chap, that behavior is no worse now than it was in the 50s and 60s, I just don't know where they dig these people up from. In my day you didn't F and blind in class, you didn't disrespect your teachers, nor did you assault them either, and pupils being expelled or excluded was very rare and why, because if you misbehaved you knew exactly what to expect, and you deserved it too
....and this is of course assuming they've actually managed to get to School in the first place and arnt at home getting one another pregnant!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 16:44   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

also it was saying on tv the other night, that truancy had gone up, despite more parents being jailed fer failing to ensure the kids attended school, so its back to the drawing board i reckon.
Old 14-02-2009, 16:57   #8
Resting in Peace

I'm not so sure whether I feel this way like you Jaysay. You been watching too much Waterloo ?

Think there is quite a lot of excessive bad behaviour in schools reported in the media, and seemingly is quite rare. (sorry, just heard that the other day .. can't offer any proof). Ok, know lots of teachers can't cope with their classes much any more, and some have nervous breakdowns,etc.

Of course, have no up-to-date experience, can only go off my own reports from younger members of the family who never complained about this type of situation.

Are there any schools in Hyndburn suffering with disruptive behaviour ? Would be good to hear from our younger members as to what they think.

For example, seems the prosecutions for truancy has gone up this year, (just seen Cashy's post ), but this did not exist in 'our day', and there was always plenty of this going on with false sick notes handed to teachers.

Just open minded at the moment, that's all.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:03   #9
God Member

I think Grangehill had a lot to answer for, in making bad behaviour seem the norm and encouraging the copying of it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:06   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think Grangehill had a lot to answer for, in making bad behaviour seem the norm and encouraging the copying of it.
think thats a valid point.
Old 14-02-2009, 17:22   #11

Also saw a report yesterday about absences due to stress amongst teachers. Apparently something like 60+ have been off over a YEAR due to stress caused by unruly pupils.
Have looked for the article quickly but haven't been able to find it yet, will post it when I locate it!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:30   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I would not let my daughter watch it.I was no angel at school in fact the opposite but I found the behavior in that program shocking.

Still she used to con the old lady next door into letting her watch it.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:40   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Also saw a report yesterday about absences due to stress amongst teachers. Apparently something like 60+ have been off over a YEAR due to stress caused by unruly pupils.
Have looked for the article quickly but haven't been able to find it yet, will post it when I locate it!!
Stress was not an acceptable 'sick note' reason years ago though CP .. they just had to carry on with the job.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 00:43   #14

Can we have an over 50's section of accy web please...
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 00:46   #15
Caz
God Member

[QUOTECan we have an over 50's section of accy web please... ][/QUOTE]

Why do you not think our opinions are valid in the forum as a whole?
Maybe we should have a youth section??

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..