Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2006, 04:47   #1
God Member

last WW1 veteran to get state funeral

I read online that the UK/Blair government is planing a State funeral when the last veteran from the trenchs passes away (about 10 still alive ) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...17/ixhome.html

would be interested to know how do the folks on this site feel about this, is it a good idea or not ? , myself I think it's a bit presumtuous considering the number still alive . Whats next some bookie opening the odds on who will be last guy to croak .........
If the person was a family member , your Grandad/Greatgrandad, would you want a grining Tony Blair and all the other political sleezeballs at the family funeral ......
also has anyone seen the new movie Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) about the football game on no-mans land during the Christmas truce in 1914 between the German , French and British troops ........not available in the states yet
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2006, 05:05   #2
God Member

Re: last WW1 veteran to get state funeral

If this was to happen to family would be sidelind for what could turn out to be a media circus. This old soldier should be allowed to go to his last resting place with the dignity and respect he has earned. I hope the family resist this idea and have a funeral that this soldier has planned without political interferance.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:13   #3

I think it's a nice idea providing the family are in agreement but IMO all those who fought for this country deserve/d a state funeral as all are heroes.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:32   #4
Member.

I have too agree with Spuggie on this one. If Blair is to do anything too honour those that served in the Great War they should hold a day of National Remembrance on the passing of the last Solider to mark the end of what was as much a tragedy in British History as it was a Victory.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:53   #5

What about all the other survivors that fought in WWI who have passed away since? In my opinion it's unfair that bliar is wanting to do this. No one human life is worth more than any other.

Leave the family alone, if they want outside involved they can arrange that themselves.
Old 17-02-2006, 11:36   #6
God Member

They want to honour one soldier for being the last of those that in the words of their German foes "walked dogedly forwad under our machineguns with grim determination." Many died needlessly through incompetence ( sir Douglas Haigs Flanders obsession) and are only remembered by family and on the 11th of November. The cream of Accrington men died in that war slaughtered at Serre during the Somme campaign were more died Tommies died in that first day than in the first 3 weeks in Normandy. Lets have a National Day of Rememberance for these men who in some cases were just 15 / 16 year old kids. Polititions got us into the mess in the first place the armed forces helped get us out of it.

KEEP THE POLITITIONS AWAY FROM THE LAST SOLDIER TO DIE HE IS MORE OF A MAN THAN THE WHOLE PRESENT PARLIMENT!!!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 12:01   #7
Give, give, give member

It says in the report that it was a cross Commons group led by former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith that came up with the idea. It also says the go ahead depends on the agreement of the veteran's family.

Last edited by garinda; 17-02-2006 at 12:11.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 12:10   #8

Like others I would say go for a National Day of Remembrance, let's honour them all rather than inadvertently singling out one person and their family.
Old 17-02-2006, 14:32   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

I think it's a bad idea. I can appreciate the sentiment behind it but it's wrong to wait for the last man to die then make a ceremonial occasion of his death. I agree with those who say a memorial service is far better. It would encompass all those who died and one family's grief wouldn't be so much of a circus.
Old 17-02-2006, 17:12   #10
I am Banned

how about doing somthing for these people before they die rather than use them for a publicity stunt
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 17:17   #11
land of hope and glory

only one thing missing here!!!! they are all remembered on remembarance sunday............lest we forget........ its all bullc...p from a new labour government yet again!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 17:28   #12
I am Banned

its like a lottery of death

most old peopel due to lack of care from the government cant afford a decent burial as it is so if they cling onto life for as long as they can at least one of them will get a decent burial

what if the last person is in hospital on a life support system will tony blair demand the plug be pulled so that he can benefit from the publicity ...?
Old 17-02-2006, 17:28   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
only one thing missing here!!!! they are all remembered on remembarance sunday............lest we forget........ its all bullc...p from a new labour government yet again!
It was your caring, sharing, ex-Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith, that came up with the idea.

Poor beggars, they're probably taking up sky diving to ensure that they aren't the last man standing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 17:32   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It was your caring, sharing, ex-Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith, that came up with the idea.

Poor beggars, they're probably taking up sky diving to ensure that they aren't the last man standing.
as long as the parachute fails that is..
Old 17-02-2006, 17:40   #15
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

why has it only just come out in the open then! labour not think of ought else to do....or ban...or cock...up ...or cover..up!

that bit about skydiving sounds ok....been there got the t shirt lol...
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..