Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2009, 21:38   #406
God Member

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When did you live there, before the flashing Saturday Night Fever Disco board before the bends, warning you of your speed, and telling you to slow down?

I've nothing against the speed calming measures, I just think they're also as needed on are what are now major rat runs to the motorways. Thre was a car doing well over 60mph coming down Fielding Lane tonight, near the Stop and Rest.
I lived there before the disco boards and for a time afterwards.

I noticed an improvement after the disco boards and road bumps were implemented. I reckon we used to get cars regularly coming round that bend at 60mph or so before that.
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2009, 23:50   #407
Give, give, give member

In light of the recent public outrage, regarding the abuse of MPs' expenses in Westminster, with everyone now falling over themselves in apologetic contrition, with promises to be more sensitive to the public who provide those funds, can we look forward to a similar glasnost in local politics, and an end to ignoring the recommendations of an independent body regarding expenses, and an end to voting for expense limits increased by such a massive percentage increase?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 07:32   #408
God Member

Some people will still not be happy Garinda. If you have an independent body that you must follow (I don't believe politicians should vote on their own wages/expenses/etc) then if that body recommend a limit which people are still unhappy about and demand councillors vote against it, it makes a mockery of the fact that there is an independent body. There will always be disagreements when it comes to spending public money.
Old 27-05-2009, 07:56   #409
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
If you have an independent body that you must follow then if that body recommend a limit which people are still unhappy about and demand councillors vote against it
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Which 'people'?

Surely if the expenses are set by an independent panel, the council should be bound to accept them, if as you say politicans aren't to set their own expenses and/or salaries.

The question I was really asking was, given the outrage in Westminster, and the call for reform and more public accountability of politicans, will this trickle down to local government level too?

Or can we expect some councillors on Hyndburn Borough Council deciding they are worth more than the expense limits recommended by an independent panel, and deciding to ignore them, and vote to award themselves massive percentage increased allowances, as they did this year?

Old 27-05-2009, 11:42   #410
God Member

Quote:
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Which 'people'?

Surely if the expenses are set by an independent panel, the council should be bound to accept them, if as you say politicans aren't to set their own expenses and/or salaries.

The question I was really asking was, given the outrage in Westminster, and the call for reform and more public accountability of politicans, will this trickle down to local government level too?

Or can we expect some councillors on Hyndburn Borough Council deciding they are worth more than the expense limits recommended by an independent panel, and deciding to ignore them, and vote to award themselves massive percentage increased allowances, as they did this year?
Well for example, would you have a problem if HBC had voted in favour of all the independent bodies recommendations in the last example of such?
Old 27-05-2009, 12:25   #411
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well for example, would you have a problem if HBC had voted in favour of all the independent bodies recommendations in the last example of such?
As far as I can understand some of the recommendations were acceptable, others weren't. Hence why some councillors chose to ignore them, and voted to award themselves the vastly increased allowances.

Council makes a meal of rises - News - Accrington Observer

Can we expect to see locally a similar attitude trickle down from national politics, with MPs calling for reform, and a more sensitive understanding of public opinion, or will some local councillors carry on next year, with the same disregard to the recommendations of an independent panel, and continue to turn a blind eye to the ensuing public outrage?

Old 27-05-2009, 12:49   #412
God Member

Quote:
As far as I can understand some of the recommendations were acceptable, others weren't. Hence why some councillors chose to ignore them, and voted to award themselves the vastly increased allowances.
I am well aware how councillors voted at the time. If the independent recommendations were accepted, would you have a problem?
Old 27-05-2009, 13:04   #413
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I am well aware how councillors voted at the time. If the independent recommendations were accepted, would you have a problem?
No, they seemed very reasonably arrived at.

If they had been accepted there would have been no newspaper headlines, no public outcry, no scores of angry letters in the local press, from people afraid for the security of their jobs, nevermind being put on short time, or settling for no pay rise at all this year.

It would have been sensible to accept the independently arrived at recommendations.

Do we think in light of the expenses scandal at national level, we can expect to see such disdainful arrogance from out local politicans in the near future, in regard to their expenses?

Old 14-07-2011, 23:33   #414
Give, give, give member

Hyndburn councillors told they need receipts for meals (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 15-07-2011, 09:11   #415
Common Sense Member

How sad for those councillors who thought that the abolition of buffet lunches would mean that they could claim meal allowances instead and get one over on those evil Labour penny-pinchers.

It also amuses me that the same high-ranking Conservative councillor who used to chide me in meetings for claiming petrol allowances has now started claiming petrol allowances.

We all have to live, I suppose.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:20   #416
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
How sad for those councillors who thought that the abolition of buffet lunches would mean that they could claim meal allowances instead and get one over on those evil Labour penny-pinchers.

It also amuses me that the same high-ranking Conservative councillor who used to chide me in meetings for claiming petrol allowances has now started claiming petrol allowances.

Come on Ken, give 'em a break.

It must be hard, getting used to all these new rules.

I'm starting a charity, which aims to deliver food parcels, to any malnourished local counciilors.

By the way, if any councillor is feeling the pinch, I'm offering myself up for adoption, so claims could be made for my care.

I think me being a bit childish should outweigh any worries that I might be a little too old to require a babysitter.

P.M. me.

Old 15-07-2011, 09:29   #417
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Come on Ken, give 'em a break.

It must be hard, getting used to all these new rules.

I'm starting a charity, which aims to deliver food parcels, to any malnourished local counciilors.

By the way, if any councillor is feeling the pinch, I'm offering myself up for adoption, so claims could be made for my care.

I think me being a bit childish should outweigh any worries that I might be a little too old to require a babysitter.

P.M. me.

I'll put a motion to council that the age for claiming childcare allowances for dependents should be raised to 46, that do you? I'm sure it will delight at least one member of the chamber.

As time goes by and the new administration looks to make cuts of £2.2m this year I am constantly surprised at how many times the words 'promise' and 'cast iron guarantee' had been used in the run up to the election by people who weren't even sure if they'd be in control after May 5th. It is patently obvious that the previous council administration had been a bit too free with the cheque book and I welcome all the changes that are being made.

I've said it before but I am perfectly capable of making my own butties and if the time ever comes where I have to claim for something I will be more than happy to provide a receipt.

It is fairly standard practice for businesses to be fully accountable with the taxman.....

Old 15-07-2011, 09:31   #418
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Ya agree total Ken its a hard life in politics, evidently a thing which was found out my an MP who found his £68,000 salary wasn't enough so felt the need to go back on his promise Not to claim expenses when he retained his country council seat, as you say We all have to live I suppose
Old 15-07-2011, 09:35   #419
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'll put a motion to council that the age for claiming childcare allowances for dependents should be raised to 46, that do you? I'm sure it will delight at least one member of the chamber.
Ta Dad-a.

Old 15-07-2011, 09:38   #420
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya agree total Ken its a hard life in politics, evidently a thing which was found out my an MP who found his £68,000 salary wasn't enough so felt the need to go back on his promise Not to claim expenses when he retained his country council seat, as you say We all have to live I suppose
Doesn't sound too good on the face of it, does it? However, the most cursory glance of Graham's expenses will show where that money is going and as I've said before I would not do that job because it's bloody hard work and your life is not your own.

The county council expenses are being used largely for good causes and organisations within Rishton alone have already benefitted from it. I wonder how much of Peter's old £43k salary was donated back to community groups? Peter got to go home every night, he didn't hold surgeries every single week or spend 6-8 hours travelling to and from London every four days and he wasn't sharing a house with someone he wasn't overly familiar with.

As someone who is well acquainted with politics you should know full well how much more the setup year costs an MP and such muckraking is beneath you.

I'm sure Peter wouldn't have claimed his county allowance if he'd become MP....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..