Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 18:05   #136
God Member

Re: Local Elections on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It certainly is an eye-opener going to a count for the first time.I say anyone who votes Labour should go to a count and see how their candidates conduct themselves.Certain councillors really let their party down with their jeering and sneering and snide remarks.I was shocked.There really is no need for it.I didn't see any of that from any other party.
Funnily enough, I reported a similar story last year only it was the Conservatives who were badly behaved. Guess it depends what side you're on as to whether it's friendly banter or rude and aggressive.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2007, 18:12   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Funnily enough, I reported a similar story last year only it was the Conservatives who were badly behaved. Guess it depends what side you're on as to whether it's friendly banter or rude and aggressive.
Gayle once again it was the Tories you were badly behaved.
Peter Britcliffe actually went into the middle of the counting area, only the party agents are allowed in there and he was made to leave by the Returning Officer.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 18:32   #138
God Member

I suppose if you know someone and despite being on 'the other side' as it were, you have a kind of rapport and can have a bit of banter without anyone taking offence then that would be ok but certain Labour candidates were jeering and sneering at people from other parties,including some people they had never met before so these people obviously took offence.One candidate was heard swearing at someone in another party.It puts them in a very bad light and makes them look childish and petty and it spoils the evening.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 23:39   #139
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Peter Britcliffe actually went into the middle of the counting area, only the party agents are allowed in there and he was made to leave by the Returning Officer.

The King was in the counting house,
Counting out his money;
The Queen was in the parlor,
Eating bread and honey.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 23:44   #140
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
your being a bit harsh on PB. claytonender, surely you gotta understand rules to observe them?
Old 08-05-2007, 23:34   #141

There are a number of interesting views on this forum which I couldn't help but comment on.

Firstly, to address the bickering, if there is anything that puts constituents off participating in the political process then it is optimised in the apparently constant arbitrary wrangling that takes place between the Borough's parties. Politics is a passionate subject designed to stimulate debate and those at the highest level disagree in the most prolific of ways imaginable. This is the obvious nature and bi-product of democracy and in a properly manifested form, should be encouraged as part of the debate process.

One should remember however that the function of local (or national for that matter) government is to serve the people. It's not a place for people to take an arbitrary stand point or to thrash out personal disputes.

My concern with the entire process is the attitude, employed by members of all parties (in the main), that one should disagree, in fact dislike, a member of another party. That, to me, does not serve in the best interests of the local electorate. I have encountered, first hand, serious dislike and hostility from people I dont even know, simply because I wear one colour rosette and they wear another. How can that be in the best interests of local government, how can that best serve the people of Hyndburn? Simple answer, it cant.

The reason for having multiple parties is to ensure that the minority opinion is heard, that's the true nature of democracy. The moment you start making that personal is the moment you have lost sight of the process. I for one will shake anyone's hand and will listen to other opinions, safe in the knowledge that the problems facing the world today are far beyond the wisdom of Solomon, let alone me. This may be naive, but its the best way to start.
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..