Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 15:47   #16
God Member

Re: Local Lasses and forced marriges

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
A Lancashire lass being forced to marry a Yorkshireman?

This is too much ... cultural differences are OK, but Yorkshiremen are a different species! It must be worse than being abducted by aliens and forced to undergo disgusting experiments.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2007, 16:59   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

Hey, you, my husband was a Yorkshireman.
Old 07-06-2007, 17:02   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Hey, you, my husband was a Yorkshireman.
What is he now? Did he convert?

I guess some of those experiments can be fun
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 17:50   #19
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What is he now? Did he convert?

I guess some of those experiments can be fun

No. He died.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:42   #20
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This is too much ... cultural differences are OK, but Yorkshiremen are a different species! It must be worse than being abducted by aliens and forced to undergo disgusting experiments.
Ask both my first wife and my second wife if they would marry me again, I was born in South Yorkshire, Doncaster and moved here in 1945. Yes we are a different breed, as spinner rightly pointed out about the 'lads back home' not being on the same wave length as the girls brought up here.
In conclusion I will quote my late Grandfather "We sent you to Lancashire, to breed some sense into them"..
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 14:31   #21
Resident Waffler

When I married Busman the person who gave me away in loco parentis as it were was my Yorkshireman friend who I have known for years and who deserves respect for defecting to Lancashire in his younger days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 14:38   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Ask both my first wife and my second wife if they would marry me again, I was born in South Yorkshire, Doncaster and moved here in 1945. Yes we are a different breed, as spinner rightly pointed out about the 'lads back home' not being on the same wave length as the girls brought up here.
In conclusion I will quote my late Grandfather "We sent you to Lancashire, to breed some sense into them"..
The Doncaster wind must have carried your grandfather's words away that day, and you misheard.

What he actually said was 'We'll send you to Lancashire, for them to knock some sense into you'.

We're trying.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 20:15   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Doncaster wind must have carried your grandfather's words away that day, and you misheard.

What he actually said was 'We'll send you to Lancashire, for them to knock some sense into you'.

We're trying.
I had a 'romance' with a Yorkshire man during a spell between husbands (of course!). He had a passion for shire horses and smelt of them at all times. This seems to given me a lifelong aversion to Yorkshire men --- though I did put up with the smell for a year so there must have been compensating factors at work
Geordies -- now there are men with big plus factors (must be the Newkie Brown)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 20:51   #24
Passed away 25-11-09

Yorkshire is a big county and it's very different from East to West. My husband was from Bradford, though he left there when he was 17, and we lived in Whitby for 6 years. The differences between the two places are notable, particularly the accent.

One thing that's the same in both, however, is serving Yorkshire Pudding before the main meal, not with it. My mother-in-law used to make an enormous one every Sunday and you got a piece as big as your dinner plate, with onion gravy, then you had your meat and veg. She used to say it was so you didn't want so much meat. She was joking - well, I think she was joking.
Old 09-06-2007, 20:58   #25
Resident Waffler

I love the Whitby area. We used to go every year but now the girls are getting older they don't seem so keen.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 23:21   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Yorkshire is a big county and it's very different from East to West. My husband was from Bradford, though he left there when he was 17, and we lived in Whitby for 6 years. The differences between the two places are notable, particularly the accent.

One thing that's the same in both, however, is serving Yorkshire Pudding before the main meal, not with it. My mother-in-law used to make an enormous one every Sunday and you got a piece as big as your dinner plate, with onion gravy, then you had your meat and veg. She used to say it was so you didn't want so much meat. She was joking - well, I think she was joking.
My Italian prospective mother in law presented me with a Sunday lunch --spaghetti con carne (bolognaise). I had never eaten spaghetti before - took me an hour - cleared the plate-- so I 'passed' - got on better with her than I did with her son - she taught me Italian cooking 'good style' --it's what Italian mothers do to ensure that their sons continue to be mothered by their wives.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..