Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 03:46   #16
God Member

Re: London Gunman Shot Dead

its becomming a popular way of "topping" yourself
Suicide by cop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we seem to be getting at least one a month in my area , Cops don't seem to mind , they get desk duty for a while and Psych counselling.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2008, 09:33   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
its becomming a popular way of "topping" yourself
Suicide by cop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we seem to be getting at least one a month in my area , Cops don't seem to mind , they get desk duty for a while and Psych counselling.
You quite often hear the therm on American TV programs such as Law and Order, SVU, CI but in real life you have to have some sympathy for the Cop that has to pull the trigger, in most cases its shoot or be shot
Old 07-05-2008, 11:48   #18
God Member

This fellow is a 33 year old practicing Barrister?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 14:00   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
This fellow is a 33 year old practicing Barrister?
anyone can flip, from any background, most don't own guns though i reckon.
Old 07-05-2008, 17:20   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
anyone can flip, from any background, most don't own guns though i reckon.
They do in the USofA .... come to think of it I have guns ... but I'm stable, or so the voices in my head tell me
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:25   #21
Beacon of light

I just think that we do not know enough about this sad situation to comment on it......we can all make assumptions, but in the end a man has died and a family are grieving for someone who meant much to them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:38   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I just think that we do not know enough about this sad situation to comment on it......we can all make assumptions, but in the end a man has died and a family are grieving for someone who meant much to them.
Yes Margaret a man died, but he died cowardly, the same as someone that walks in front of a train, a person can lose all reason and want to end it all but surely to force someone else into a position where they do it for you, be it the policeman with a gun or the poor sod driving a train.

To kill yourself is unfortunately a way some of us end up, to force your wish for death onto someone else's conscience is worth no defence.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:40   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes Margaret a man died, but he died cowardly, the same as someone that walks in front of a train, a person can lose all reason and want to end it all but surely to force someone else into a position where they do it for you, be it the policeman with a gun or the poor sod driving a train.

To kill yourself is unfortunately a way some of us end up, to force your wish for death onto someone else's conscience is worth no defence.
I think we need to remember the reason the police shot at him.. he was shooting into a bedroom which could and would have had children in.... would we feel the same way if one of those bullets had hit and killed a child?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012

Last edited by emamum; 07-05-2008 at 17:40. Reason: naughty typo...ooops :D
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:48   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I think we need to remember the reason the police shot at him.. he was shooting into a bedroom which could and would have had children in.... would we feel the same way if one of those bullets had hit and killed a child?
He didn't want to die alone?

He thought he would get away with it?

No I don't remember the reason the police shot him,

I just know he was a selfish swine and the world is better without him, he got shot because he didn't give himself up, that is suicide, but it is selfish suicide, a person can kill themselves with far less drama or inconvenience to all around them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
He didn't want to die alone?

He thought he would get away with it?

No I don't remember the reason the police shot him,

I just know he was a selfish swine and the world is better without him, he got shot because he didn't give himself up, that is suicide, but it is selfish suicide, a person can kill themselves with far less drama or inconvenience to all around them.
I totally agree with you Less, if you want to end it, don't involve someone else, this day and age if you want to top yourself it easy, without screwing someone elses life up as well

Last edited by jaysay; 08-05-2008 at 10:05. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 14:52   #26
God Member

no matter how you do it 'someone' has to clear you up. thats not nice on anyone

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 17:06   #27
God Member

How anyone can call this man scum is appalling. He was a very well respected person in society and clearly had issues. He wasn't AIMING at anything, he was shooting randomly.

I think this is what one would call a 'tragedy' rather than 'tragic', and it is sad that such a young and successful life has been taken away.

I agree that it is fair to shoot him down, whether the aim was to just injure him or to actually kill, but to make negative judgments about someone for what is clearly an incident brought on by some form of distress or mental health problem is just wrong in my opinion.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 17:42   #28
God Member

Quote:
BlazeyHe wasn't AIMING at anything, he was shooting randomly
He was shooting into a childs bedroom, I am sure any mother would find this fact very distressing. Maybe it can be looked on as lucky that the child wasn't in the room at the time.
Old 08-05-2008, 17:56   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
He was shooting into a childs bedroom, I am sure any mother would find this fact very distressing. Maybe it can be looked on as lucky that the child wasn't in the room at the time.
The news paper article I read never mentioned specifically shooting into a particular window, which would make sense seen as more than one house was damaged by his shots apparently.

Fortunate that he didn't hit anyone but at the same time, it appears the intention wasn't to actually shoot anyone seen as he had the opportunity and didn't take it to shoot one of his neighbours. Maybe I am just being too logical, but I think if my neighbour was stood shouting at me to stop shooting at property and I intended to hurt people and get killed anyway, I would've just shot her.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 18:29   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

How can ya claim he was shooting randomly? a newspaper report. was on the news tonight that his parents are demanding answers, so they obviously don't really know yet.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..