Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2005, 18:42   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

London marathon

Not wishing to brag but having noticed that we are coming up to the London Marathon again I thought perhaps you might be interested in my personal experience from a few years ago:-

A Personal Diary Of The Flora London Marathon 2000

By Les’ Westwood

20.00hrs Sat 15th Here we are again, the night before the big one, I know that the next 24 hours will have their highs & lows but after all my preparation I’M READY.

20.45 Into the taxi & down to the Club to share a few energy drinks (no more than 10 tonight mustn’t forget I’m in training) I'll swap some tales with a few friends that will be feeling the pre-race tension just like me.

23.10 Slight set back to the training routine, Geraldine (my personal manager & trainer), thought I said,” make mine a double”, when I actually slurred, “Don’t take the trouble”, & so brought me 4 pints instead of my usual 2 for last orders. Still, no need to worry I’ll work off the extra when I jog down to the Chinese for some of that healthy Rice covered in King Prawns & Curry.

00.31 Sun 16th Well, the day is now upon us. Just pouring out of the taxi that took us the 200yrds to the Chinese, (I don’t think It was necessary for the stewardess to change her mind about the lock-in just because I’ve got to be up early, but it was good of her to arrange for the transport so it just shows she had my best interests at heart).

01.45 Where is that Taxi? We’ve just left the Chinese where Peter woe was generous enough not to charge for my meal or the extra three energy drinks, due to the fact that I hadn’t kept them down long enough for me to say that they where legally mine, & besides if it wasn’t for me his cleaners would have nothing to do on Sunday morning. Yes these pre-race nerves really are getting to me.

01.46 Home at last, I do like to get to bed early before a Marathon.

02.04 Nearly broke my training, fortunately Geraldine being dedicated to the Tough training regime, told me I had NO CHANCE and that I had better get to sleep if I know what’s good for me.

05.14 I awoke with one of those tense headaches (nerves again, God, how I suffer before every race) fortunately my energy drinks are now acting as a laxative which will be of benefit.

05.47 Back to bed, less than 3 hours now before the line up begins

08.45 Only just made it to the start for some reason forgot to set the alarm & nearly didn’t get here,
Just got time to be introduced to David Coleman & his team of commentators, (between you & me he does go on a bit about some of the previous Marathons but then, I suppose he must get paid for the amount of words rather than the content).

09.00 Off go the ladies, now we know it’s the big day.

09.30 I’m in a good position this year, nobody blocking my view I can see everything.

10.19 More problems, as most of you will be aware, I have started rolling my own cigarettes as part of my training but I am now finding it difficult to concentrate on the marathon & actually making my fags, (calls herself a trainer didn’t prepare for this did she?).

11.45 We’re at the twenty three mile point, vision blurring, David Coleman seems to be screaming at me, must concentrate, ignore those cobbles, look away, look away now!

11.46 It happened last year, & every year before that right back to the first London Marathon of 1981, that damned wall, I get to the twenty three mile point look up & there is that floral wallpaper, behind the television, I hate it, next year I will decorate before the marathon. NO, NEXT YEAR I JUST WON’T WATCH IT!

11.47 Just been upset by my personal trainer, she said if I need to take on more liquid I’ve to go to the fridge & get it myself, (huh, I bet I’ll have to operate the ring pull as well).

Last edited by Less; 14-04-2005 at 18:46.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2005, 18:59   #2

Re: London marathon

For one brief moment I thought you had actually entered...........Did you manage to operate the ring pull on the cans..............
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 15:53   #3

I don't think you should put your body through all that running stuff Less!
I like the fun runners and I know people make lots of money for charity,but I'm up for sponsored lager drinking marathons!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 17:50   #4
Senior Member+

Very good Less,it had me going for ooooh 5 seconds!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..