Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2008, 17:31   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Looking for young tories!

Well for a lad of 19 he a very level headed young man irespective of which party he belongs to, he also has a lot of guts advertising on here as well. We have to remember that far to few young people are interested in politics of any sort, but its young men like Cyfr that the future of this country depends on, so don't knock, just be thankful there are people like him as they are few and far between.
Old 18-03-2008, 17:32   #17
God Member

Ah, they're all hiding in the woodworks, got a couple of PM's already. It was like this at Uni too, never expected to find people but the Hull CF is expading well!
Old 18-03-2008, 17:43   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Conservative Future (formally Young Conservatives).
Ahh yes,

Quote:
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet
As???

Well, whatever it smells as sweet as, it will keep the flies off your sandwiches!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:30   #19

The biggest grumble I ever hear from my father's generation is the old "everything's gone to pot so why the hell bother" and they are the first to criticize anyone who tries to stand up for anything. It should be about engagement, not the simple knock down of anyone who wants to start expressing opinions just because they are political. Its easy to be negative and criticize those who try, and the ones who do all the moaning are the ones who stand in the pub and moan but have never actually bothered to get out there.

Instead of being negative, if you want to challenge, do it in a positive and constructive way. Politics creates arguments, it should do, thats the only way it works - because people disagree.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)

Last edited by MikeSz; 18-03-2008 at 18:33.
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:31   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Any Conservatives under 30 hanging
i sincerly hope so.
Old 18-03-2008, 18:43   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i sincerly hope so.
Old 18-03-2008, 18:49   #22

its the old name "Conservative" that bothers me

I ain't got nothing to conserve..............

see dictionary definition -

adjective 1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

I want it changed !!!
Old 18-03-2008, 21:15   #23
God Member

Quote:
i sincerly hope so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So you reckon most tories under 30 are hanging about in the wilderness?

Almost the best place for them, the only one better would be in a trench dug about 6' by 3'!

Could you be a little more specific though, are you after young Gay tories, young Lesbian tories, or a young I'm all right jack screw you, I intend to be a proper run of the mill tory one day,
type tory?

Awww look Cyphr's found some new friends!

P.S. Why do they have to P.M. you? Are they not proud of how they've ended up? Would it be embarrassing for them to fly the tory banner?
Why the limp wrist flag? What's that got to do with anything?

I'm 30 so I think I might be too old to join Cyfr's group but I think it is a great idea. You can be very bitter sometimes.

You say young tories belong in a grave and Cashman says they should be hung. All said tongue in cheek I should hope but then you wonder why some may be a little hesitant in saying that they vote conservative.

It doesn't bother me because I don't think that you mean it but some people might think you do and , not wanting to endure all the snide remarks you make, keep it to themselves.

Cyfr comes accross to me as a very intelligent young man and there aren't many of those around so I think that he is to be applauded for what he's doing.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:30   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cyfr n me have a simple understanding Lilly- hes a Tory- I aint. and i was only agreeing Cyfr said it. pmsl
Old 18-03-2008, 21:36   #25
God Member

Quote:
Cyfr n me have a simple understanding Lilly- hes a Tory- I aint. and i was only agreeing Cyfr said it. pmsl
A good understanding to me.

But don't blame Cyfr for what you said.

Cyfr said 'Any young tories hanging around?'

You deleted the word 'around' to make the sentence 'Any young tories hanging?' Then you said 'I should hope so.'

Oh yes you did.
Old 19-03-2008, 04:43   #26
God Member

Just for the record, I haven't spoken up because he already asked me about this BEFORE he made the thread, and I told him I think it is a brilliant idea.

And also for the record, Cyfr can kiss me all he likes, so nerrrr.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 12:34   #27

Cyfr

No, I'm not applying to join CF! When you are next in the student union have a look at the photos of past union execs - in the 1981/2 photo there a guy on the front row wearing odd socks. Laugh at the photo, reflect on how scary it is that he is now in the House of Commons then go for a pint in the Haworth!
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 13:17   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Cyfr

No, I'm not applying to join CF! When you are next in the student union have a look at the photos of past union execs - in the 1981/2 photo there a guy on the front row wearing odd socks. Laugh at the photo, reflect on how scary it is that he is now in the House of Commons then go for a pint in the Haworth!
Haha odd socks eh!

I've seen lots of photos of you in leaflets but not that particular one, I'll look out for it. Not been to the Haworth yet, the Union has a really good bar and end up down Princess Avenue most of the time!

Where did you stand on the exec?
Old 19-03-2008, 13:19   #29
God Member

All students wear odd socks, sometimes ridiculously odd...
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 16:01   #30

I did a sabbatical year as Vice-President (Finance & Admin) after I'd got my politics degree. Funnily enough, my son graduated from Hull last year so I have been over a few times recently. The union bar had improved greatly!
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..