Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2009, 23:37   #31
God Member

Re: Lordy Lordy

This may well be the death knell for the House of Lords
...and not before time

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2009, 09:18   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'll think it's generally acknowledged that it was Thatcher who sold off the family silver, when she privatised the nationalised industries and utilities.

The most you can accuse Brown of selling off was the polish that was used to clean the silver, for that's all that was left.
No Rindi it wasn't silver in Browns case it was Gold, a lot of people don't realise that to make his chancellorship look good he sold of our gold reserves
Old 27-01-2009, 09:31   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I disagree - there are probably only a small minority of them that are in it for themselves, but the majority are hard working and dedicated to their job. If the majority of them were like that then the country would come to a standstill and we'd be hearing about different scandals every day. As it happens the scandals may be biggies but they're actually quite rare, only three or four a year (and usually the same ones involved).

It possibly just seems like they're all on the make because the papers like to make it look like it and because you don't hear about the ones that are just getting on and doing their job.
I totally agree with you Gayle, it very sad that a few bring the rest into disrepute. On the whole MPs do a god job and as Rindi said in another post they could probable earn more in the city and get less flack for doing it too. My political standing is well known on here, but I have to say that we here in Hyndburn have been gifted throughout my involvement in politics, with first class honest representatives at the palace of Westminster. Aurthur Davidson, Ken Hargreaves and now Greg Pope, as I've said many time previously I don't see eye to eye politically with Greg, but I always see him as a thoroughly decent hard working MP as were Ken and Arthur before him
Old 27-01-2009, 21:26   #34
Full Member+

Not only did Prudence Brown sell off our gold reserves at a rock bottom price, anyone with a company pension will never forgive him for pillaging their pension funds in order to facilitate his benefits give away to the sick, lame and lazy. I reckon the government should follow America's example of limiting child benefit to two children. That would surely save the hard pressed taxpayer a bundle and stop the 'benefits breeders' in their tracks.

Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 21:29   #35
Resting in Peace

Don't think it is fair to pre-judge this situation just yet Jaysay ... if it is proved then we will all have a go at sticking the needles in ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 21:55   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Don't think it is fair to pre-judge this situation just yet Jaysay ... if it is proved then we will all have a go at sticking the needles in ...
if it aint proved then justice will have been ignored once more fer the chosen ones, the tapes give the game away in my book.
Old 27-01-2009, 22:00   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if it aint proved then justice will have been ignored once more fer the chosen ones, the tapes give the game away in my book.
Could it not be 'Cooking the Books' with IT?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 22:18   #38
God Member

Quote:
I think we can agree here. This is a massive scandal and can't really believe how little I've heard about it in the media.
Old 27-01-2009, 23:23   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As you pointed out earlier, if the allegations are proved to be true, there is very little in way of legislation to punish our noble Law Lords.

Whether or not these four Lords are found to have broken the rules, Lord Taylor of Blackburn in his recent interviews since the Sunday Times published their findings after their investigation, showed scant regard for the matter, no humility, or indeed any doubt that he'd done anything at all wrong.

His manner and thinking would have lesser beings safely locked in a secure home somewhere, rather than sitting in the House of Lords, taking bungs.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 23:32   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

as margaret said earlier, the lords should be done away with,jobs fer the boys has never cut it with me. if a second house is needed it should be an elected one that works fer legislation, NOT sleeps through it or takes backhanders like some of these owd *******.
Old 27-01-2009, 23:37   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
as margaret said earlier, the lords should be done away with,jobs fer the boys has never cut it with me. if a second house is needed it should be an elected one that works fer legislation, NOT sleeps through it or takes backhanders like some of these owd *******.
Well that's me, you, MargaretR, and Greg Pope thinking along the same line, only another sixty million people to convince and the jobs a good un.

Labour's half hearted attempt at reforming the Lords has failed in my book, and sadly none of the other parties have made known any of their intentions to sort out this outdated relic of an institution.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 23:49   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Labour's half hearted attempt at reforming the Lords has failed in my book, and sadly none of the other parties have made known any of their intentions to sort out this outdated relic of an institution.
agree, but no party will sort em,cos most of the "Big Guns" in all of em, intend to be put out to grass there.
Old 28-01-2009, 08:48   #43
Resting in Peace

It has now emerged that Lord Taylor claimed £400,000 in expenses from 2001 to 2008 that is for travel, meals and accommodation, that's over £50,000 a year, and they say they don't get paid in the upper house, in the immortal words of Yosser Hughes, "give us a job, I could do that"
Old 28-01-2009, 14:24   #44
God Member

The Lords is a long story, but I think we need to keep it. It is a good scrutiny body, which we need. Having an elected upper house would make it rather pointless unless we move in the American direction. The thing about the Lords is they can do and say things without needing to think about re-election, which makes it particularly good at scrutiny despite having no real powers.

Obviously these people who abuse the system should be dealt with, as they make the ones who are hard working look bad. Same with MP's.
Old 28-01-2009, 14:37   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

then please explain how "Jobs fer the Boys" as is now, is preferable to n elected body? seems to me they get in now by arse-licking n towing someones line.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..