Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2006, 21:57   #16
God Member

Re: Milnshaw Park

Cheers chuck. I guess they don't play puttin there anymore?
Old 20-12-2006, 22:02   #17
God Member

dont know i havent been there in years either ....we'll have to have a drive down one day
Old 20-12-2006, 22:06   #18

I also used to play tennis on those courts, i remember about 6 of them. It went to the dogs down there when you stopped paying to play. I remember there used to be an old fella who gave you a ticket, and you paid by the hour. they were never vandalised because it was someones job to maintain them. It was the same for the tennis courts at the coppice. Its so so sad to see the park in such a state. I have very fond memories of that park, playing football down there, playing hide and seek, using the swings, and walking back up that hill (which felt like i was scaling K2). Summer holidays when i was a kid, happy days. Damn shame, shame.
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 22:12   #19

If you love the park, get a group together, march up there and do a little clean-up.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 22:13   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
If you love the park, get a group together, march up there and do a little clean-up.

i doubt that would make a difference, it would look exactly the same a few days later
Old 20-12-2006, 22:23   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to love the park as a lad and up to recently used to walk the dog around it, funny you should bring this up A.B.but the reason i rarely go in it now= it depresses me! i know its been bad now for years but it just got to me. only time i go in now is when theres a bowls match on,and thats cos i,m a nosey git and fancy a natter.
Old 20-12-2006, 22:25   #22
Resting in Peace

Oh, my goodness A-B, my mum and dad would turn in their graves.

I, like you, spent lots of days at Milnshaw Park. My parents were avid bowlers and as you say, gave them many a happy hour away from the grind of the work in the mills. From a very early age, they taught me how to bowl a mean round peg.. have photos of me mum winning the Cocker Cup, etc., and I also spent time on the tennis courts, in the paddling pool and dodging around the trees.

Just can't believe the change .. I am genuinly shocked, as haven't been that way for years .. summat gotta' be done .. will take a look during the hols.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 22:43   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
now can you see why i disagree with that whistling singing thing in burnley willow?? that money could of been put to good use elsewhere,milnshaw park for instance
But as Gayle has ponted out several times, the money was only available Panopticons for the use of. We don't have the option for instance in Hyndburn of saying can we just have the money to renovate our parks with please. It's a Panopticon or nowt. But the idea is that a Panopticon will bring money into the town and then everything else will benefit.

Quote:
It's not as simple as that, not just a case of picking up litter. There's so much fallen into disrepair. Paths need resurfacing for one. And it's not just one park, it's all of them. Don't we have a parks department these days?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 22:52   #24
God Member

but that panopticon is in the middle of nowhere,its crown point for goodness sake,its not in the centre of anywhere so whats the point??....sorry for wandering again acrylic bob
Old 20-12-2006, 22:55   #25
Resident Waffler

erm, well............ they are meant to be visible from the town, not that Blackburn's is.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 22:58   #26
God Member

i think the only place blackburns is visible from is the moon....its bloody horrible,like i said in the other thread they are ALL a waste of money.
Old 20-12-2006, 23:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i doubt that would make a difference, it would look exactly the same a few days later

You can make it happen. But it requires a sustained commitment. Part of that is impressing upon local government that this is important to you. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the most oil.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2006, 23:51   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You can make it happen. But it requires a sustained commitment. Part of that is impressing upon local government that this is important to you. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the most oil.
normally i would agree bullseye,BUT were talking HBC here.
Old 21-12-2006, 06:44   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
normally i would agree bullseye,BUT were talking HBC here.

There aint enough oil world wide to solve this problem.

WD40 gave up as well as mission impossible.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 07:20   #30

Like Janet, my son and I walk through Milnshaw on a regular basis, most people who walk from top end of Church to Asda or town use it as a cut through.

It is a disgrace, the council have seen fit to put railings round the bowling greens, why? they don't keep dogs or kids off them! Wouldn't it have made more sense to use the money to clean the park and fill in the holes hiding under the masses of dead leaves? Maybe even put some new and more play equipment in there? They have erected a set of goal posts but after the slightest bit of rain it can't be played on for the quagmire at either end! I don't mind mud and muck but don't want twisted sprained or broken ankles from slipping in it when 'going somewhere suitable' to play footy with my 8 year old!

HBC should think before they spend the money on whats actually needed not what some folk want.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..