Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2012, 10:24   #16

Re: Model Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Handbag dogs were originally bred as lap dogs with the purpose of sitting on the lap in order to attract the fleas from off the owner.

As such it is not 'designed' for exercise.

Dog breeding practices are responsible for many genetic defects and suffering.
A bit like tail docking and the noses of pug type breeds. Shocking.
Old 27-09-2012, 10:30   #17

I know, some pug-type dogs can hardly breathe it seems
That's before we even look at the less extreme breeding which we've known for years can be responsible for genetic defects e.g Alsations and their weakened hind legs, golden retrievers and cancer more likely to develop at a young age.... Boxers are prone to epilepsy and a few other things that slip my mind at the moment. I hate the selfishness of it all
Nothern Inuits haven't been around long enough for any thorough research to be done. I know they're bred to have strong back legs, despite having Alsation ancestors, and a calmer temperament than a Malamute. My Kya defies this though!
Sorry for threadjack!
Old 27-09-2012, 13:43   #18
God Member

Dogs have been purpose-bred for centuries. Sadly there is nothing we can do about that. And it does pee me off that dogs are being used as fashion accessories ... however, maybe we should save our outrage for those who abuse and abandon their animals ... cats too, there folks ... and those who run puppy mills. Support your local humane society. Don't buy puppies from pet stores. Neuter your animals (unless you are a registered breeder). And if you are thinking of adopting a dog, consider something like this:

Mature Dog Adoptions Celebrates March as Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month

My best friend chases squirrels
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 13:52   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I think far worse than dressing dogs up are these so called pageants where young children are dressed up as adults and put on show, a five year old child is exactly that, a child, why make them look the way strange people would find them attractive?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 14:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dogs have been purpose-bred for centuries. Sadly there is nothing we can do about that. And it does pee me off that dogs are being used as fashion accessories ... however, maybe we should save our outrage for those who abuse and abandon their animals ... cats too, there folks ... and those who run puppy mills. Support your local humane society. Don't buy puppies from pet stores. Neuter your animals (unless you are a registered breeder). And if you are thinking of adopting a dog, consider something like this:

Mature Dog Adoptions Celebrates March as Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month

My best friend chases squirrels
ITA X1000000000 lol .Well it's more or less what I said in my first reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think far worse than dressing dogs up are these so called pageants where young children are dressed up as adults and put on show, a five year old child is exactly that, a child, why make them look the way strange people would find them attractive?
It is a bit wrong. I'm not sure about the last bit though. Those who find children sexually attractive, find children sexually attractive-am not sure without being one of them, whether it may actually be off-putting if they look like adults.
Old 27-09-2012, 15:17   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Dogs should be dogs and that's why we love 'em. One of ours passed away at 12.40 on Wednesday morning (I was stroking her and talking to her at the time - there was nothing I could do, she was old for her breed and been ill for some time). I buried her yesterday. Our other dog is now behaving a bit oddly as she looked on her as her mum I think.
We should love them for what they are and not try to make them into some kind of freak show.
Holly, sadly missed.
You have my condolences, I know what it's like to lose a much loved dog.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 15:18   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can't stand the likes of Paris Hilton who carry these little dogs about in handbags as a fashion accessory, they should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals
Totally agree John. The dog doesn't know it's a dog.
Old 27-09-2012, 16:06   #23
God Member

Blimey...I thought this thread was about some of the dogs I saw on the catwalk at London Fashion Week a month ago.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 16:53   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Blimey...I thought this thread was about some of the dogs I saw on the catwalk at London Fashion Week a month ago.
Aren't they Bitches?
Old 27-09-2012, 17:39   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Handbag dogs were originally bred as lap dogs with the purpose of sitting on the lap in order to attract the fleas from off the owner.

As such it is not 'designed' for exercise.

Dog breeding practices are responsible for many genetic defects and suffering.
I'm sure that Paris Hilton doesn't have one to keep the flies away Margaret
Old 27-09-2012, 17:44   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Spot on Less, remember that kid in American JonBenet Ramsey, the parents had her strutting up and down like twenty year old, the poor kid ended up dead
Old 27-09-2012, 19:56   #27

As Sugarmouse said, adults who find children attractive find them attractive.
However, in my professional experience to dress children provocatively as adults gives certain people a permission in their own heads to do as they please - we should not be sexualising children for the benefit of anyone. There's a big difference between a little girl putting her mum's makeup on and dressing up in her clothes, or even getting done up for a birthday party, to deliberately dressing provocatively to meet other people's (including their parents) needs. Pre pubescent children and up to the age of consent should not be portrayed sexually, and if they are then this should be a safeguarding concern and investigated by the police and social services.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 06:48   #28
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Dogs should be dogs and that's why we love 'em. One of ours passed away at 12.40 on Wednesday morning (I was stroking her and talking to her at the time - there was nothing I could do, she was old for her breed and been ill for some time). I buried her yesterday. Our other dog is now behaving a bit oddly as she looked on her as her mum I think.
We should love them for what they are and not try to make them into some kind of freak show.
Holly, sadly missed.
I 'm very sad for your loss . it's a lonely place to be when we loose a pet, I hope your memories of the happy times spent together bring you comfort.
As for dressing a dog up it's not something I would do but so long as the dog has the correct amount of exercise They will not be to bothered and put up with most things. I find other things people do with their dogs far worse. Like taking them for a ten minute walk before work and locking them in the house for hours on end with nothing to do. So the moral of the story is treat your loyal pal how you would like to be treated
DFOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:43   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
As Sugarmouse said, adults who find children attractive find them attractive.
However, in my professional experience to dress children provocatively as adults gives certain people a permission in their own heads to do as they please - we should not be sexualising children for the benefit of anyone. There's a big difference between a little girl putting her mum's makeup on and dressing up in her clothes, or even getting done up for a birthday party, to deliberately dressing provocatively to meet other people's (including their parents) needs. Pre pubescent children and up to the age of consent should not be portrayed sexually, and if they are then this should be a safeguarding concern and investigated by the police and social services.
Quite agree Anne what ever happened to letting kids grow up normallyand this excuse usually trotted out by these parents is well my little darling just loves doing this, just doesn't fly with me
Old 28-09-2012, 11:19   #30

Thanks for the condolences, much appreciated.
As for the child thing, I find it quite bizarre that parents would even want such a thing. I think it's just a peadophiles wet dream. I find it even more surprising in these days of sometimes over-protection of children that such things are actually legal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..