Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2012, 16:07   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Model Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I know?Have I said something to lead you to think I mollycoddle?
No not at all you seem like a responsible dog or any animal owner .Apologies if you thought that.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2012, 16:08   #47

No problem I misunderstood your responses thank you
Old 24-10-2012, 21:24   #48
Senior Member+

A model dog would be one that doesn't lick your face. It's well known they lick their own backsides - but also as they run about lick many things. I saw a really cute spaniel licking up duck poo in the park. Oh what a sweet lick it's owner would get when he or she gave it a welcoming embrace!

Would you lick the park floor or the pavement! That's what you are doing when you let your dog lick you out in the park!

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-10-2012 at 21:30.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 21:29   #49

Nice!
I let Kya lick my face. I often wonder what detrimental effect it has on my skincare routine.
Old 26-10-2012, 15:20   #50
I am Banned

I don't let my dog lick my face,but i have been known to let it lick my cuts,grazes(not sure if it's a old wifes tale but i grew up in the believe dog saliva held antibacterial properties)
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 15:44   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
I don't let my dog lick my face,but i have been known to let it lick my cuts,grazes(not sure if it's a old wifes tale but i grew up in the believe dog saliva held antibacterial properties)
I don't follow your logic there. If you won't let it lick your face, presumably because you think that's unhygienic, what on earth are you doing letting it lick open wounds-the quickest way in for infection?
If you think its saliva has anti bacterial qualities you should be kissing each other like mad!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 17:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I don't follow your logic there. If you won't let it lick your face, presumably because you think that's unhygienic, what on earth are you doing letting it lick open wounds-the quickest way in for infection?
If you think its saliva has anti bacterial qualities you should be kissing each other like mad!
It doesn't appear to make sense BUT maybe because dog breath isn't nice? But on cuts elsewhere you don't have that problem!
Old 26-10-2012, 20:54   #53
Senior Member+

I think there was a story once of an American surgeonwho was out walking with his dog and he fell and badly gashed his leg. He let his dog lick the wound and it healed up quickly. Notice how soon a dog's wound heals up when they lick it.
Old 26-10-2012, 21:00   #54

I confess I do let Kya lick me when I cut myself or bang myself etc, I always have done the same with previous pets I've had.
Old 26-10-2012, 21:09   #55
Senior Member+

Yes that is healing for a dog, but in general activity surely a dog licking excrement in the park then licking your face is not hygenic! You can get worms from them.

I vaguely recall storyline in some book in which someone trapped in the wilderness with injuries let a pet dog or pet wolf lick their wounds and it helped heal (similar to what Max said). Another thing I heard is using maggots to help heal a wound, as the maggots eat the infected bits of flesh.

Should You Let Your Dog Lick You

Do you like it when your dog licks your face or hands? Some pet owners find this disgusting. Others consider it a loving gesture that makes you even closer to them. If you are like the latter, then you may want to think again. It may seem affectionate and fun but, your dog's lick could give you more than you asked for.

To get an idea of why you may not want your dog licking you, all you have to do is think of the places a dog's tongue frequently visits. Most dogs spend a lot of time licking garbage, dirt, sticks and even their private areas and feces on the lawn. It's obvious that remnants of these things could still be on their tongue while they are licking you. Even if the garbage and feces are not in the dog's mouth, the bacteria from them probably is. This means that letting your dog lick your face may not be the cleanliest decision.

There are many health risks associated with letting your dog lick you. One of the biggest is roundworms. Roundworms are an intestinal parasite commonly found in puppies and can be passed to you through licking. If you get your pet tested regularly and give it de-worming medication every month, the risk is slim to none. Either way it's something to consider if you are going to let your dog lick you anytime they please. Some serious medical conditions can be caused by roundworms. Symptoms are cough, fever and headache.

Other illnesses and diseases can be transmitted in addition to roundworms. These include
Leptospirosis, Salmonella, and E. coli. These can all be passed through the saliva. Also, strep throat has been linked to dogs licking their owner's faces. Far less likely but, still something to think about is that Rabies is also transmitted through saliva, but if you keep your dog vaccinated this should not be an issue.

Some dog owners will say that a dog's saliva actually contains an enzyme that promotes healing and will encourage their dog to lick their cuts or wounds. This fact is true, but the enzyme only works on the wounds of dogs and does not help humans at all. Therefore, you should not encourage your dog to lick open wounds or cuts on you as this will only increase your chance of infection.

In closing, while your pet passing on and illness or parasite to you is unlikely if you keep them properly vaccinated and tested, it may still be a good idea to discourage licking in order to reduce the chances even more.

http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/1/p...your-face.html

Last edited by kestrelx; 26-10-2012 at 21:18.
Old 26-10-2012, 22:27   #56
I am Banned

Wound licking
The idea that a dog’s mouth is cleaner than a human’s mouth probably stemmed from the fact that dogs lick their wounds and yet their wounds rarely get infected. In fact wounds that are constantly licked by the dog heal faster than a wound that is medicated and covered by a vet wrap.

Licking to clean and heal the wound

When a dog licks the wound it is in fact cleaning the wound and removing dead tissues not unlike the way doctors clean a wound using cotton swabs. The dog’s tongue is an efficient “cotton swab” that thoroughly cleans the wound. Dogs salivate more and the saliva loosens scabs formed on the surface of the wound.

You may have noticed that wound licked by the dog heals quickly. These wounds rarely get infected. The dog’s saliva has a special enzyme that has antibacterial substances and therefore has healing capacity.

Dogs surely have one effective way of healing their wounds. However, it would no come amiss if the pet owner would inspect the wound too. If the wound is caused by a thorn or a splinter, excessive licking can drive the splinter into the flesh of the dog. As it is embedded on the dog’s skin no amount of licking can remove the offending splinter. The saliva may have an antibiotic capacity but this case calls for the intervention of the pet owner if not the assistance of a vet.

Why do dogs lick their wounds?
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 22:30   #57
Senior Member+

Apparently Human Saliva also has healing properties...read this;

Licking Your Wounds: Scientists Isolate Compound In Human Saliva That Speeds Wound Healing
Old 27-10-2012, 19:45   #58
Senior Member+

I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about the small ornamental model dogs.
I took a photo of one lurking in a cupboard so rather than waste it I have posted it here.
It probably cost ten pence on the flea market at some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0425.jpg (378.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 27-10-2012, 20:23   #59
Senior Member+

We have loads of Border Collie ornaments

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..