Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 06:15   #16
God Member

Re: Money to burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
You may not like fireworks, but you can't dictate what people spend their money on.

As usual, if you take the trouble to read the whole thread you would see that I in no way disapprove of fireworks nor am I attempting to "dictate" to anyone.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:32   #17
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I went to my sister's for fireworks last night. My brother in law and his friend had procured a few rockets and a couple of display fireworks for about £30 from their local pub. We all clubbed together and got a curry and had the meal. We had saved 2 of the rockets until after the meal. One of them went up and was lovely. The last one exploded at ground level and made a hell of a racket. It never even left the launcher and we were so relieved that the kids were inside watching through the conservatory window. Bits of combustible material from the rocket burnt the kitchen flooring... We were really lucky as somebody could have been seriously injured. The few rockets that we had let off earlier went up a treat, so we reckon that we had got a dud one. The display fireworks were lovely, like a multi-coloured fountain in the garden, not too noisy but pretty to look at.

All in all we had a good night. It was more of a social get together than anything else. It could have been tragic with that damn rocket though..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:19   #18
mez
God Member

i had a lovely night last night .had a chinese meal (at home) then watched the fireworks off my back step it was a lovely display from town centre accy, i saw them in gt harwood, rishton, & ossy too.........& all for free.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:25   #19
Senior Member+

Well i sat in with my 4 cats who sat in the windows watching the fireworks. They didnt seem to mind them at all. One of the cats was itching to get out for a better view but no way !

Watched my neighbours set off their fireworks in their garden and to be honest the ones they set off was a waste of money ! They fizzed for about 5 seconds and that was it. I think they had bought the legal safe ones and was a real let-down. Makes you wonder why so many people buy the boot-leg ones, at least you can see your money going up in smoke. ...and no i am not saying its ok to buy the boot-leg ones !

Chrissie
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05   #20
God Member

At 2.30am this morning I was woken up by the sound of yet more fireworks, this went on intermittently until 3.00am - that is taking the proverbial!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:18   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I'm all for people having a good time and enjoying themselves; what else is life for? But why do some people never seem to be able to grasp the idea that 'enough is as good as a feast'?

I came home from work early today so that I could be around to keep an eye on Acrylic-biff, the terrier with attitude, who gets a bit lively when there are fireworks going off and can cause a bit of a nuisance by commenting on each explosion with a bark. I should hate to be the cause of any inconvenience to my neighbours. Acrylic-biff has been a little vexed since last Saturday by the antics of a family of Pyrophiles who live up on Burnley Road. Every evening since last weekend they have been sending up large, expensive rockets; two or three dozen an evening! I suppose that serious fun requires practice - lots of it.

However, they have certainly put their practice to good use, it is now twenty past nine in the evening and they have been at it since I got home at quarter past five and show little inclination towards calling it a day!
It sort of makes you wonder how much money they have spent on fireworks and where they get it from. Their house must be stuffed to the rafters with the damned things. Come New Years Eve, they will be at it again, well into the small hours of New Years Day. It's amazing what you can do on benefits these days.
Forgive me Acidic-bab, but on reading this again I'm still under the illusion that you and the pampered pooch,are not too happy with the fireworks your neighbours have been letting off. A Fact made perfectly clear from the comment about the forthcoming New Year as well.

So it's quite clear I can read, and quite clear that you aren't too keen on fireworks.

No need to appologise, but a comment on my remark about that it is up to the individual what they spend their money on, no matter where that money came from, would be more interesting, rather than being snidey pants.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 13:13   #22
God Member

A little while ago, there was a thread which asked whether the sale of fireworks should be banned. I contributed my opinion to that thread and said that although I recognised that they could be a nuisance at times I was very firmly in favour of the continued sale of fireworks to the general public.

Nothing in my opening post of this thread could possibly be construed as being contrary to that position.

The observations on the behaviour of my neighbour are no more than any other householder would make when faced with the sort of excessive indulgence in any activity we have witnessed for the last week, if anything and on reflection, I think I was being a little too kind.

Acrylic-biff would be the first to tell you, if he could talk, that he is anything but pampered! Like many other pet owners I am concerned at the effect that fireworks have on a valued member of my family who cannot understand why his home appears to be under attack. I can, and do, cope with the noise, he cannot and so most of my time on bonfire night and again on New Years Eve will be spent reassuring him so that he is not tempted into harming himself - which is quite possible.

Of course, it should go without saying that I forgive you for misunderstanding,
and I am sorry that you appear to have gotten out of bed on the wrong side again this morning, why don't you try moving it dear. It always works for me
Old 06-11-2005, 13:16   #23
I am Banned

i think he should move his bed next to the window , that way if he gets out of bed on the wrong side again he wont be in any condition to bother us
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 13:23   #24
God Member

I was going to put in a line of big grins here but the damn thing won't let me. Can we take it as read that I am now laughing myself sick?
Old 06-11-2005, 13:38   #25
God Member

Have you thought of buying your dog a pair of ear muffs?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 13:51   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have to say that I seriously considered doping the dog up this year. She barks herself demented at the fireworks. Unfortunately I didn't have any sedatives in the house and am unsure about who my local drug dealer is. I couldn't find any rescue remedy or night nurse, but I did find a tub of Paracetamol which expired in 1998. Not really wanting to do the dog any harm, I went out instead and left her to it....

I may have to get something from the vet next year...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 14:36   #27
God Member

Not sure were the pets in my block went but boy was it quite without them howling.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 17:15   #28
God Member

It's November 6th now - no longer bonfire night - and they're doing it again. I'm with A-B on this, some people have way too much money to burn.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 17:36   #29
God Member

Thank you Gayle, And I have to note that here in the more salubrious end of Huncoat things are not as loud as they were last night but neighbour money-bags is still at it!
Old 06-11-2005, 18:47   #30
God Member

The noise here is worse than last night and lastnight was bonfire night. Some of the bangs are that loud I thought something had happened at the refinery of chemical plant. I could think of better things to spend money on than all this noise.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..