Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 20:27   #1
God Member

Money to burn!

I'm all for people having a good time and enjoying themselves; what else is life for? But why do some people never seem to be able to grasp the idea that 'enough is as good as a feast'?

I came home from work early today so that I could be around to keep an eye on Acrylic-biff, the terrier with attitude, who gets a bit lively when there are fireworks going off and can cause a bit of a nuisance by commenting on each explosion with a bark. I should hate to be the cause of any inconvenience to my neighbours. Acrylic-biff has been a little vexed since last Saturday by the antics of a family of Pyrophiles who live up on Burnley Road. Every evening since last weekend they have been sending up large, expensive rockets; two or three dozen an evening! I suppose that serious fun requires practice - lots of it.

However, they have certainly put their practice to good use, it is now twenty past nine in the evening and they have been at it since I got home at quarter past five and show little inclination towards calling it a day!
It sort of makes you wonder how much money they have spent on fireworks and where they get it from. Their house must be stuffed to the rafters with the damned things. Come New Years Eve, they will be at it again, well into the small hours of New Years Day. It's amazing what you can do on benefits these days.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 05-11-2005 at 20:30.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-11-2005, 20:30   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Money to burn!

i was behind a lady at a checkout at asda yesterday, she only had fireworks for her little girl nothing else,the cost £67-odd so the answer to your question is obviously YES. lol
Old 05-11-2005, 20:44   #3
God Member

Sixty seven quid!!!!!!! On Fireworks! Are people mad?????
Old 05-11-2005, 20:46   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

obviosly mad in my opinion.lol
Old 05-11-2005, 20:52   #5
God Member

Ok they are very pretty, especially the really big ones, but surely the novelty must wear off after a while? I am begining to have very serious doubts about the sanity of my profligate neighbours.
Old 05-11-2005, 20:58   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

what i thought was what if she had 2 or 3 kids,you would need a mortgage.
Old 05-11-2005, 21:01   #7
Beacon of light

Madness, utter madness. I don't have that kind of money to burn, but if I HAD......I don't think I would. Too parsimonious by far......I think I am in practice to be a Scottish Jew! (with sincere apologies to both Scots and Jews)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 21:21   #8
God Member

There was a chap on the BBC Breakfast News this morning questioning why, four hundred years later, we still feel the need to commemorate the horrific execution of human being. I must admit his comments gave me pause for thought, Especially as a lapsed Catholic, If the Incitement to Religious Hatred Bill gets through Parliament and is enacted, will this mean that a case could be brought in law to have bonfire night banned?
Old 05-11-2005, 22:39   #9
God Member

They're still at it round our way. The people on the estate opposite must all club together every year because they don't have the cheapo ones. It's been going on most of the evening so I reckon they've burned about £500 easy between them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 22:40   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Madness, utter madness. I don't have that kind of money to burn, but if I HAD......I don't think I would. Too parsimonious by far......I think I am in practice to be a Scottish Jew! (with sincere apologies to both Scots and Jews)
Wont hold it againgst you.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:33   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It's amazing what you can do on benefits these days.
You may not like fireworks, but you can't dictate what people spend their money on.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:36   #12
Senior Member+

I spent £200 on fireworks last year and had a real lot of fun @ my mums house... This year not spent a penny....weather has just put me off....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:42   #13
God Member

Yep we blew up about £200 of fireworks tonight and it was great fun! Not actually as much fun as someone (who will remain nameless) putting lino on the fire which smoked the whole street out ......... I can't tell if the tears streaming down my face are from laughing or the acrid smoke!!
Old 05-11-2005, 23:56   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Yep we blew up about £200 of fireworks tonight and it was great fun! Not actually as much fun as someone (who will remain nameless) putting lino on the fire which smoked the whole street out ......... I can't tell if the tears streaming down my face are from laughing or the acrid smoke!!
Go on give us a clue?

Is it a blood relative?

Is it a man?

You know you want to.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 00:13   #15
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Where did you have it? was it a big one, and is there any pics.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..