Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2010, 18:39   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: MPs salary & expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Voted on or not i can't recall her asking fer one? can you?
Cashy I can hope to remember all the wonderful things the Blessed Margaret did in her pomp
Old 30-12-2010, 19:14   #62
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep funny how she deplored the commons decision, yet did sod all about it. in fact was only last year when the crap hit the fan.
Very true according to what the Telegraph reports .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 19:42   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Very true according to what the Telegraph reports .
if me memory aint playing tricks? it was no politico that brought it to a head was it? twas a leak.
Old 31-12-2010, 00:37   #64
Senior Member+

I think MPs expenses is an old story being rehashed. The new rules are very tight, too tight in fact costing £millions in bureaucracy.

I enjoy the County Council work though I am a backbencher. It compliments life in Westminster and helps avoid the reality distortion of London. Feet on the ground.

It keeps hands on approach to East Accrington, is a great practical resource for information, has allowed me to better represent interests in London of which a radical overhaul of bus transport in Lancashire is an example of something I have been working toward.

There are quite a few MPs still sat as Councillors. Gordon Birtwistle at Burnley being the nearest. Mike Hancock MP is also or has been cabinet member for regeneration on Portsmouth Council I believe.

Independents; a recipe for anarchy and chaos. Without a plan, a vision, a team ethic, how can you debate issues and make progress? You can't. Their manifesto is always about voting against things because the day they put forward a collective agenda, they forgo that independence and begin acting as group or Party.

And even on local councils, message boards soon fill up with endless tasks Councils should be watching over. Tasks that require a division of effort and comradely approach.

On the point of all being the same I have to say the gulf inn ideas between Labour and Conservative in Hyndburn is huge.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 00:59   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

I refer you to Graham's quote ( number 29 ) on this thread , particularly to his first and next to the last sentences .

As I read these sentences I get the impression that he is saying that those responsible for the Telegraph article were out to discredit him by using the expenses issue . I may be misinterpreting his words , because that is how I understood the article when I first read it . It is an attempt to cast him in a bad light . That is a personal matter , and is aimed at Graham's personal integrity rather than his actions which are perfectly legitimate and above board .

What criticism I have is for those who are behind the article , and are using it in a petty way for party political gain .

Those with better knowledge than me of the history of Hyndburn politics will say that it is the sort of thing all parties get up to .

The article picked up on a few misleading statistics and weaved a negative story around them. All the genuine stuff was left out. It's inclusion would have destroyed the credibility of the story.

It wasn't personal. Newspapers get a good hook out of telling people expenses stories because there have been huge scandals.

Eg Andrew Stephenson is a young single man who slept on his mates sofa. I have a young family and know no-one in London so claimed the rent allowance. Standing MPs are still on the old cheaper mortgage system and don't claim (expensive) rent.

London MPs and MPs in the South East can't claim rent allowances.

Some MPs have either been slow or inefficient in claims or don't bother providing constituency staff or a constituency office. Hyndburn's office by all accounts is one of the best in the country. My first quarter submissions for such were always going to be up to date and ahead of others.

Pensioner MPs getting rail discounts and travelling first class yet having lower expense claims because of their age.

Rather than it be the positive it is. Efficient and comprehensive with no one 'on the take', it was portrayed as a fiddling story based on the headline totals being put in a league table of shame.

Left out of the story was;
All food paid for by myself
All travel around East Lancashire paid for by myself
Most train travel second class off peak.
Volunteering by people in the constituency office
Efficient first quarter claims
Northern MPs facing extra costs
New MPs facing significantly higher costs.
Working age MPs facing higher charges
MPs with young families facing greater burdens

I expect criticism and i have always done what I believe is right and in the public interest and I am proud that we have more than played by tight new rules. We have made every effort to bare the cost and treat every penny with respect at the same time as upping the service to the public here.

I accept the media have a job to do and that some people conveniently shoot from the hip. I accept all of that and it comes with the job. All I can do is point out the facts.

Last edited by g jones; 31-12-2010 at 01:07.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 09:10   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The article picked up on a few misleading statistics and weaved a negative story around them. All the genuine stuff was left out. It's inclusion would have destroyed the credibility of the story.

It wasn't personal. Newspapers get a good hook out of telling people expenses stories because there have been huge scandals.

Eg Andrew Stephenson is a young single man who slept on his mates sofa. I have a young family and know no-one in London so claimed the rent allowance. Standing MPs are still on the old cheaper mortgage system and don't claim (expensive) rent.

London MPs and MPs in the South East can't claim rent allowances.

Some MPs have either been slow or inefficient in claims or don't bother providing constituency staff or a constituency office. Hyndburn office by all accounts is one of the best in the country. My first quarter submissions for such were always going to be up to date and ahead of others.

Pensioner MPs getting rail discounts and travelling first class yet having lower expense claims because of their age.

Rather than it be the positive it is. Efficient and comprehensive with no one 'on the take', it was portrayed as a fiddling story based on the headline totals being put in a league table of shame.

Left out of the story was;
All food paid for by myself
All travel around East Lancashire paid for by myself
Most train travel second class off peak.
Volunteering by people in the constituency office
Efficient first quarter claims
Northern MPs facing extra costs
New MPs facing significantly higher costs.
Working age MPs facing higher charges
MPs with young families facing greater burdens

I expect criticism and i have always done what I believe is right and in the public interest and I am proud that we have more than played by tight new rules. We have made every effort to bare the cost and treat every penny with respect at the same time as upping the service to the public here.

I accept the media have a job to do and that some people conveniently shoot from the hip. I accept all of that and it comes with the job. All I can do is point out the facts.
Think that is all we could ever ask for or expect
Old 31-12-2010, 18:53   #67
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

On the point of all being the same I have to say the gulf inn ideas between Labour and Conservative in Hyndburn is huge.
This theory of the huge gulf leaves me .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:45   #68
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Having just read the latest article on this episode, I came across this link in the comments, don't really know if it appeals to you but hey, at least you can vent your annoyance to a degree.

NewsNow: Loading story... (The article)

https://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surv...k=129415848902 (rant)
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 13:39   #69
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Deary me Jay, you're slipping up a bit aren't you fella ? A rather interesting article from your favoured oracle ! So as it seems to have passed you by I've put it up for you. These Politicians eh ? Such little rascals ! You turn away for 5 minutes & they're up to their old tricks again. (At least we can feel we're involved, fill out the survey #68, probably won't do anything, but at least you'll feel a little better. Especially after reading the article below)

NewsNow: Loading story...
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 15:06   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lassie View Post

how they expect us to survive il never know!
They don't - it's called 'eugenics'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:34   #71
Common Sense Member

In view of what an MP actually does for their community compared with the remuneration they get I'll assume that there's a confusion between 'MP' and 'Minister' for some of you. The salary may sound like a lot but when you actually work out the hours that are put in by the decent ones it isn't actually the big trough that people perceive it to be.

I've watched Graham for some time running from pillar to post trying to help residents, hold surgeries and conduct party business at the same time. It's a wonder that he's still upright, I certainly couldn't keep that pace up and look after a family as well but he does everything exceptionally well.

In Hyndburn at least we should be grateful for what we've got. It could have been MUCH worse.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:41   #72
God Member

At least our MP won't have to pay London prices for a wash and brush-up any more. He can go here: Men-only beauty salon opens in Rishton (From Lancashire Telegraph). Bet Ken's already been for a polish.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:46   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
At least our MP won't have to pay London prices for a wash and brush-up any more. He can go here: Men-only beauty salon opens in Rishton (From Lancashire Telegraph). Bet Ken's already been for a polish.

When you go in for a 'polish', is that the one that has a 'happy ending'?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:03   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
In view of what an MP actually does for their community compared with the remuneration they get I'll assume that there's a confusion between 'MP' and 'Minister' for some of you. The salary may sound like a lot but when you actually work out the hours that are put in by the decent ones it isn't actually the big trough that people perceive it to be.

I've watched Graham for some time running from pillar to post trying to help residents, hold surgeries and conduct party business at the same time. It's a wonder that he's still upright, I certainly couldn't keep that pace up and look after a family as well but he does everything exceptionally well.

In Hyndburn at least we should be grateful for what we've got. It could have been MUCH worse.
Tend to agree there Ken, in fact since I got involved in politics we've had 4 MPs Aurthur Davidson Ken Hargreaves, Greg Pope, and now Graham has taken on the mantle, think we've been rather lucky in Hyndburn over the years
Old 06-01-2011, 18:12   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
think we've been rather lucky in Hyndburn over the years
I agree jaysay, no matter where your political allegiance lies we have benefited from some good MPs over the years. How would you rate them?

Ken Hargreaves. 1
Arthur Davidson. 2
Greg Pope (a very distant) 3
Graham Jones, too early to pass a judgement but early signs encouraging.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..