Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2006, 15:09   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Muhammad: Who is He!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
i am gettin sick and tired of tryna make ppl understand on here that the actions of the few do not represent the many. adn yet still i feel its not gettin thru and its frustrating. i'm sure those ppl who make sweeping generalisations about lds folk wud come the closest to understanding this.

its now as i said got to the point where i've honestly had enough of some people on here who feel that islam is some great monster creeping up. if they cant b arsed to understand it i cant b arsed to explain it.

Fair enough Mani. I thought the opening post was a good one to give people the opportunity of finding out about something/someone they may not know much about and at least in that post you weren't being asked to provide the muslim point of view as the link was put on by someone else.

Your response to that did come as a bit of a shock as I'm sure you realise by now that not all of us view islam as some great monster. The post was there for those members who do want to know more and who are willing to take time to find out. The ones who can't be bothered simply don't have to bother clicking on the link.

A couple of years ago the school governors were delighted to be invited to visit Higher Antley Street Mosque and to be shown round and have things explained to us. I'm glad the leaders there didn't think we were all too ignorant to bother with. I'm sure we don't know very much even now but at least we know more than we did before.

Well having made a sweeping generalisiation of your own now perhaps you won't feel so different from those other people who have done the same.

Everyone is an individual and it would be far better if we could see each other in that way and not lump people into pidgeon holes.

I do stick firmly to my beliefs and standards and although I've gone to the AccyWeb meets I have never drunk alcohol there because it is against LDS teachings. It doesn't mean I would criticise others for doing so because we all have oir own freedom of choice. I can still enjoy their company too whilst sticking to my own principles.

Yes, a lot of people do make sweeping statements about the LDS but that doesn't mean everyone has the same ideas (and believe me I've heard some daft ones in my time - like sacrifing chickens and having a tunnel under the atlantic and a colony on the moon!). Generally if people want to know about us out of curiosity then I am more than happy to explain, even if afterwards they still think I'm a sandwich short of a picnic. At least they can make an informed decision about it then.

BTW I don't think anything you said was racist, a bit generalist maybe but not racist.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2006, 19:16   #32
Beacon of light

Re: Muhammad: Who is He!?

Mani...I have to say that the majority of us will only ever have a very shallow understanding of Islam.......however much you try to educate us about the subject .....some people will not even consider reading about islam at all.
I am not sure about whether muslims want to take over the country...or even the world , most religions strive for converts....and for those who feel the desire to convert to Islam, that is fine. Maybe the media are in some respects generating fear about an Islamist takeover......And as for sweeping generalisations I'm sure we are all to some degree guilty of this at some point or other. I would not like to be considered 'racist' or 'ignorant' just because I stated my views. We are all entitled to hold opinions, and these differ greatly...which all makes for interesting reading.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..