Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20   #31
God Member

Re: New Bar In Town

First full opening Saturday night as the have proberly got themselves extended hours. Its either that or some poor sod cops it in the mad rush to the kebab and curry house at closing time.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2005, 15:26   #32
God Member

From looking at the pictures, I cannot see any evidence of an external pub sign hanging over the door. Still, I suppose it must be rather difficult to paint an attractive picture of an open sewer.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 16:06   #33

its amazing what badwolf spuggie and tealeaf would do ,to get into the calder
http://www.cecimoz.co.uk/flashpanel/Chavs.htm
bet they dont dress that smart when they go to the accy meets
Old 08-12-2005, 17:11   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff70
its amazing what badwolf spuggie and tealeaf would do ,to get into the calder
http://www.cecimoz.co.uk/flashpanel/Chavs.htm
bet they dont dress that smart when they go to the accy meets
If I ever tried that my daughter would disown me. Its a corker though.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-12-2005, 17:22   #35

go on spuggs tell the truth ,your foot was tapping while ya listened to it ..and i bet ya even went back for seconds lol
Old 08-12-2005, 17:42   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff70
go on spuggs tell the truth ,your foot was tapping while ya listened to it ..and i bet ya even went back for seconds lol
Went one better mailed it on to a few bods I know. It is very good.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-12-2005, 21:12   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
Oh dear. One would have thought that a wannabe councillor for the Borough of Hyndburn may have known that the River Calder at Cock Bridge forms part of the boundary between the boroughs of Hyndburn and Ribble Valley.
Check out this thread

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...ghlight=calder

The opinion in that thread is that the Calder doesn't actually come into Hyndburn. I think we need a definitive answer on this question and if and when someone does confirm that the Calder is within Hyndburn's boundaries then I will accept it but at the moment we don't appear to have an agreement on the subject.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 08-12-2005 at 21:37.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 21:39   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
You see, it's things like that which cynics like me and Yerself pick up on and later use as a stick with which to belabour errant councillors. Be more careful Gayle, if we can do it, so can the Idiot-in-Chief.....and we wouldn't want that to happen
Don't you start on me A-B on this one - it was you who said that The Calder doesn't come into Hyndburn. Don't give someone duff information then fault them when they repeat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It actually never enters the borough, its course forms part of the North-northwestern boundary of the borough between Altham and Whalley Banks.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 15:28   #39
God Member

Typical politician's answer. A reply to question that wasn't asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
The opinion in that thread is that the Calder doesn't actually come into Hyndburn. I think we need a definitive answer on this question and if and when someone does confirm that the Calder is within Hyndburn's boundaries then I will accept it but at the moment we don't appear to have an agreement on the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
The Calder doesn't come anywhere near Hyndburn.
The opinion that the Calder doesn't actually come into Hyndburn is not under dispute. As the river actually forms part of the borough boundary you could hardly describe it as not coming anywhere near Hyndburn.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 15:33   #40
God Member

Not having a go, Gayle. Merely pointing out that there is a world of difference between your statement that "The Calder doesn't come anywhere near Hyndburn." and the observation that the Calder forms part of the borough boundary; which it certainly does according to my OS map which is usually pretty authoratative in such matters.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 09-12-2005 at 15:36.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 15:44   #41
God Member

I suppose the best that can be said is that we have half of a river between Altham Bridge & Whalley Banks (assuming the boundary runs through the middle of the river). So thats about 2.5miles. I still cannot see the justification of calling this bar by this name, other than that the Barracuda chain management have fallen for a pretty slick joke.

But irrespective of what its called,it should simply not be there. What happened to all those great little pubs that used to be in that area? The Crown is now a poodle parlour, the Railway appears to be some form of half-open disco & drugs den, the Blockade is an annex for the half-wits of Scaitcliffe Heights and the-one-whose-name-I-can-never-remember had builders in last time I looked, no doubt soon to become another pizzeria & dog food takeaway.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-12-2005 at 15:48.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 16:40   #42
God Member

When you think of it how many good watering holes have disappeared over the years and not just on Blackburn road. My Uncle remembers the days you could start at the Church Commercial and work your way up one side of the road to Ossy back down the other and be pye eyed by the time you got back to the Commercial. And that was on a gill a pub (alledgedly).

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 09-12-2005, 17:51   #43
God Member

Proof, since proof seems needed.

The Calder is seen to run from Altham to Whalley Banks, thus forming part of the Borough boundry (the line of the Calder is indicated by a thick blue line. the boundry is shown by a dashed line which looks a bit like a circle that has been struck through.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calder.jpg (184.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-12-2005, 18:03   #44
God Member

It would seem Tealeaf's assumption and my map are at odds with Acrylic-bob's map. I'm going with my version which was obtained from the Mario site a matter of minutes ago.

marioexternal_MAPSRV4356834761136.jpeg

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 09-12-2005 at 18:29.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 18:18   #45
God Member

Aaaarrrgh! I cant see your map, yerself. Just a little box with a red 'X' in it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..