Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2006, 10:10   #76
God Member

Re: New Subway store!!!!

I suspect the "Fresh" refers to the soggy tomato, cucumber & lettuce these places use to pad out their butties. Its no big secret and if some of the independant shops around Accy were to use the same method and vary their base ingrediants a little more then they would have little to fear from the likes of Subway.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2006, 11:19   #77
God Member

Some ingredients are frozen at brewers fayre some is prepack, like the steaks, obviously the pie isnt microwaved or the chips, but you can tell it's not fresh, it's not like a carvery.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 12:48   #78
God Member

I worked in BF for nearly 7 years. Some meals were frozen, some were cooked on site, yes they were chilled and reheated but most restaurants (irrespective of 'quality') use a cook chill process, it used to be if it was main menu it was generally supplied as is, specials boards were the fresh cooked stuff.

One point that seems to be getting missed is that from the minute veg are picked they start to lose their vitamins etc. Freezing maintains these so that you are getting pretty much teh levels that thay had when picked, fresh veg on teh other hand can be anything up to a week old by the time you buy it then it sits in your fridge for a few days. Not really that good for it IMHO. Similarly with fish and meat, there is no 'damage' done to the structure of the meat so whats the problem. I'd rather know it was defrosted a few hours before it was cooked for me than to think it could have been sat in a fridge for 3-4 days.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 14:15   #79
God Member

most of the veg at bf is vile, it's under cooked and tastless, I wouldn't give it an animal. I always ask for a nice salad garnish. Some bf are better than others.
Tamworth went through a bad patch, and we complained that much that the manager asked us why we keep coming back if all we do is moan. We had quite a long and embarrasing discussion about quality, why we go there, that we used to like the meals, that it's local to us, and that we shouldn't need to stop going or complain. We should get a full, well cooked, hot meal, not half a one with bits missing (something that still happens) not cold, not burnt. I one had a steak and ale pie that was frozen inside. I also explained I was doing him a favour as we visited many dozens bf while traveling the country and didn't give them a chance, we just went to head office.
After that things improved, the problem is though that if you complain, you don't know whats happening to your food next time you go, there's some sick people about.

Our local co-op is the same, I've recently pulled the manager about dried cold food. He said the trouble is it's not selling it's just sitting there, to which i replied i'm not suprised, who'd want to eat it. It's in their interest for it to be right, and in your to tell them if it's not.
Old 17-08-2006, 14:52   #80
God Member

Don't blame the veg for the lack of skill by the chef. If anytyhing I would guess that teh veg is more likely to be overcooked than undercooked as its difficult to undercook veg and make it tasteless.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 15:01   #81
God Member

I dunno how you lot would react to the Jap Canteens....there are several chains down here, one on every street in the City, all serving up the same type of Jap grub...tiny portions of raw fish and raw veg wrapped up in sticky rice...at about 4/5 quid a go. You need about 3 lots to feel full. The only thing that resembles 'owt English is dumplings in a soup - and I think they come smothered in seaweed.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 15:45   #82
God Member

I ate a subway today and im about to have a mcdonalds, according to this thread im going to curl over and die tonight
Old 17-08-2006, 17:28   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I ate a subway today and im about to have a mcdonalds, according to this thread im going to curl over and die tonight
Well at least you will die happy Cyfr after yer' exam results today .. so go for it ... celebrate.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 17:29   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
More like roll over mate
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 20:35   #85
God Member

Awww cyfr it's been nice knowing you, may you rest in accyweb peace, and don't worry you have left a lasting reminder to your existance by way of your accyweb plug in.

was it death by big mac or quarter pounder?
Old 21-08-2006, 07:33   #86
God Member

Quarter Pounder of course
Old 21-08-2006, 08:59   #87
Give, give, give member

I'm not that keen on every high street in the world being inhabited by the same global stores, but according to the lovely Kirsty Allsop on Location, Location, Location, the arrival of the coffee shops means investors see an area as being on the way up. This is the same programme that this year listed Hyndburn as being in the top ten places in the UK that were a good place to buy, and that had seen the biggest property price increases last year.

Skinny Latte to go please.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 09:12   #88

I think coffee shops are great.
Ice cream parlour next, please!
Old 21-08-2006, 09:32   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I'm not that keen on every high street in the world being inhabited by the same global stores, but according to the lovely Kirsty Allsop on Location, Location, Location, the arrival of the coffee shops means investors see an area as being on the way up. This is the same programme that this year listed Hyndburn as being in the top ten places in the UK that were a good place to buy, and that had seen the biggest property price increases last year.

Skinny Latte to go please.
If it is a good place to buy with nice returns on investment then why is the town centre not benifiting? If there is to be a Subway does that mean Accy has reache an acceptable level for people to move in or is it a bit of bait to reel them in?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 17:02   #90
God Member

lol subway are not actually that popular compared to mc d's, there's a subway at birchwood by the qvc outlet shop and its always empty. so is the one in liverpool on Sefton Road and I've yet to see more than on person in the one at Nuneaton

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..