Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2011, 17:49   #256
Resting in Peace

Re: News of the World Mobile Phone Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be perfectly honest i reckon most people are aware the Euro/Euro Zone is on the verge of disaster, unless people are blind/dumb/or dont wish to know? also if it does theres sod all we can do about it,fact! so yeh can call this diversionary, which it may be, but i prefer watching these gits squirming.
Your easily pleased cashy, as a distraction Ian Botham 1981 ashes extravaganza is on Beeb2 at 9 tonight, now thats good telly not this guff they're screening at the moment
Old 20-07-2011, 18:39   #257
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Although this is a thread wander, is no one concerned that this whole charade is just a distraction from far more significant worldwide events? The Greeks may be about to default, the Italians and Spanish might be dragged into it and the whole Eurozone might be about to explode, which would inevitably have some effects on us.

There's also the little matter of the world's largest economy days away from the possibility of defaulting. This time next week Murdoch and NI could be forgotten as we cope with the fallout from a worldwide economic meltdown.
We could always beg a loan from the Euro Lottery winners!!!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 19:26   #258
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
We could always beg a loan from the Euro Lottery winners!!!
It wouldn't go anywhere near filling the black hole that's developing in EU debt. As for Eric's confident prediction that the Germans will offer a bail out, I think they may be getting a little tired of subsidising their less prosperous EU comrades.

Hopefully it could be the beginning of the end of the EU as we know it. But then again, the phone hacking scandal could lead to a corruption-free police force, high moral standards in the tabloid press and politicians who have the good of the country rather than party point scoring at heart...but somehow I doubt it.
Old 20-07-2011, 19:33   #259
God Member

I doubt it too - democracy is synonymous with greed and corruption, but the alternatives are likely to be worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying pig.jpg (4.4 KB, 0 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 20:06   #260
God Member

Quote:
It wouldn't go anywhere near filling the black hole that's developing in EU debt. As for Eric's confident prediction that the Germans will offer a bail out, I think they may be getting a little tired of subsidising their less prosperous EU comrades.

Hopefully it could be the beginning of the end of the EU as we know it. But then again, the phone hacking scandal could lead to a corruption-free police force, high moral standards in the tabloid press and politicians who have the good of the country rather than party point scoring at heart...but somehow I doubt it.
I don't think I predicted that the boche would bail everyone out It was a thinly veiled anti-hun remark, which came into my pumpkin as I was considering the irony of Germany's economic power: you lose two wars, the second one was fought to prove that the first was no fluke and didn't involove any stabbings in the back, caused the death of tens of millions of innocent folks, and end up a the economic powerhouse of Europe. But I will climb off my Shandean horse, and pour anther beer. I couldn't get bomber, but the Spitfire from Kent is a decent brew, if a little hoppy.

Not bad; I managed to get two wanders into one post
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 21:28   #261
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't think I predicted that the boche would bail everyone out
Well, you were the one who said "the krauts can bail everyone out". I reckon the German taxpayer will think otherwise, which could set off an economic chain reaction that could reach our shores. Nowt we can do about it, but it could take us into previously uncharted territory. Could that be a good thing or a bad thing for us?
Old 20-07-2011, 21:50   #262
God Member

Quote:
Well, you were the one who said "the krauts can bail everyone out". I reckon the German taxpayer will think otherwise, which could set off an economic chain reaction that could reach our shores. Nowt we can do about it, but it could take us into previously uncharted territory. Could that be a good thing or a bad thing for us?
I don't think that "can" means "will" And if the "economic chain reaction" reaches your shores, that will be something that the Germans couldn't do And if the "uncharted territory" involves quitting the EU .... mmm Norway seems to be doing ok.
Old 20-07-2011, 21:54   #263
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think that "can" means "will" And if the "economic chain reaction" reaches your shores, that will be something that the Germans couldn't do And if the "uncharted territory" involves quitting the EU .... mmm Norway seems to be doing ok.
The point is, will there even be an EU as we know it, if the PIIGS default?
Old 20-07-2011, 22:09   #264
God Member

Quote:
The point is, will there even be an EU as we know it, if the PIIGS default?
From what I read, probably not. A slimmed down version, consisting of only the more stable and solvent (or, fairly solvent) countries, and one which is based on economic, not political ties, would seem to be not a bad idea. What there is now is, well, like a well-intentioned party which got out of hand when the rowdies showed up
Old 20-07-2011, 22:15   #265
Super Moderator

Quote:
From what I read, probably not. A slimmed down version, consisting of only the more stable and solvent (or, fairly solvent) countries, and one which is based on economic, not political ties, would seem to be not a bad idea.
Sounds sensible enough to me. Unfortunately, the EU don't do "sensible".
Old 21-07-2011, 08:50   #266
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sounds sensible enough to me. Unfortunately, the EU don't do "sensible".
Quite correct Wyn but they are experts in stupidity
Old 21-07-2011, 22:19   #267
God Member

Quote:
no i would give that a miss 36% tax and higher inflation .but they do have massive reserves of oil and gas and is still nationalised eh i would change my mind if our oil and gas industry was nationalised.
Old 21-07-2011, 22:39   #268
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
no i would give that a miss 36% tax and higher inflation .but they do have massive reserves of oil and gas and is still nationalised eh i would change my mind if our oil and gas industry was nationalised.
cmonstanley,

I know it's the end of term and you've probably just got back from the school disco (or proms, as they call it now) but should you really have had that last bottle of cider?

You need to get some coffee in you and sober up; come on here again tomorrow morning and please try and put on a post that makes sense to us all.

PS...I know you're trying your best.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 06:42   #269
Beacon of light

Don't hold your breath waiting for that one Tealeaf.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 07:42   #270
JFT96

36% taxation, I remember I made that point a few days ago on another thread started by the genius that is Cmonstanley.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..