Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 09:16   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation No Room At The Inn (Prison)

We are told that the prisons are almost full to overflowing and the government has no plans in place to remedy the situation other than using police cells.

As most prisoners are re-offenders the reason for full prisons is obvious to me. The first term wasn’t severe enough to deter them from offending again.

The PC brigade wouldn’t agree to this but a spell of porridge should be so unpleasant that on being released the prisoner thinks twice before re-offending.

What about a prisoner serving the full term handed down by the judge?

The first third of which is, for want of a better description, ‘hard labour’ with no privileges whatsoever other than one hour a day to listen to or watch the news.

If a prisoner causes problems during ‘hard labour’ s/he does not go to the next phase but stays in ‘hard labour’ until s/he does conform or has served the full term of porridge. If the prisoner successfully negotiates that spell without any problems the next third would concentrate on rehabilitation plus some extra privileges.

If a prisoner causes problems during the rehabilitation phase s/he stays in that phase until s/he does conform or has served the full term of porridge. If the prisoner successfully negotiates that spell without any problems the prisoner becomes eligible for parole during the final third of the prison term.

Punish, rehabilitate, forgive and return to society a changed person.

There will always be a few who will want to take revenge and refuse to conform but I feel sure that the majority would not want to go back for a second spell.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:22   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: No Room At The Inn (Prison)

Some very interesting suggestions there Jambutty.

According to the news this morning there is also a lot of "cell blocking" - a bit like bed blocking in the NHS - where they've got foreign prisoners who should have been released but the government has done nothing but deporting them so with nowhere to send them they are still in prison! What a shambles.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 08-10-2006 at 08:50.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 14:35   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hard labour if i remember correctly was known as P.D.(Preventative Detention) when i was young.that was for career criminals and the like,don't know wether or not it did any good? but i think that things like that also Full sentance serving would be more of a deterant than the rubbish thats in place now.
Old 06-10-2006, 16:08   #4
Senior Member+

Any govenment needs to get hard on the punishment of crime. It's no good having prisons run like holiday camps. All prisons should be (in my opinion) the most horrible place on earth.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 19:57   #5

What you need is a visit from Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona. Joe never worries about overflow. His extra prisoners go to Tent Jails. If tents are good enough for our military personnel, they are plenty good enough for convicts.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 20:22   #6
God Member

When I was at school one of my lessons was Social Studies and one of the topics was prisons. We had a prison officer come to one of our lessons and gave a talk about life in a prison. It scared the living daylights out of me and many more of my classmates. We all vowed not to end up in prison! Out of 30 of us in that class 1 has been to prison. Why not do that - scare the living daylights of kids so then they dont offend in the first place? The ones that do offend know then whats coming to them! The only thing is that was over 20 years ago - prisons are different nowadays compared to what it was then.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 21:42   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
When I was at school one of my lessons was Social Studies and one of the topics was prisons. We had a prison officer come to one of our lessons and gave a talk about life in a prison. It scared the living daylights out of me and many more of my classmates. We all vowed not to end up in prison! Out of 30 of us in that class 1 has been to prison. Why not do that - scare the living daylights of kids so then they dont offend in the first place? The ones that do offend know then whats coming to them! The only thing is that was over 20 years ago - prisons are different nowadays compared to what it was then.
I know a couple of ex prison officers and they left the services because the cons had a better life than they did so no deterent there. Thanks to lilly livered liberals people in the pokey have an easy life and because of that if they reoffend after release they know it will be a breeze on their return. I say send a few from down there up to Peterhead and Barlinnie and then we will see if they want to go back. They stopped slopping out at BarL because it was demeaning and against their human rights again LLL were to blame oh and Europe.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:13   #8
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
What you need is a visit from Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona. Joe never worries about overflow. His extra prisoners go to Tent Jails. If tents are good enough for our military personnel, they are plenty good enough for convicts.
Thanks Bullseye, I was trying to remember the guys name when I got to your post. He also makes the convicts wear pink uniforms and puts them out on chain gangs.

My understand is they have a very low return rate. I'm sure this system has also lowered the crime rate around there. Way to go Joe!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 14:24   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

like joes logic bullseye, trouble is if he came over here,the PC brigade would slag him rotten,myself i would give him a knighthood.
Old 07-10-2006, 22:02   #10
Junior Member+

People end up in prison because they have committed a crime.
The fact that there is a shortage of prison space is irrelevant, build some more cheaply, put some of the inmates on ships moored in the middle of the North Sea. Another option is to lock them up in crates dangling on a rope from a crane.

Murderers serve on average around 8 years, thats why we need more prisons, they should serve 20 years minimum.

Give them one year off for donating 3 of their major organs or agreeing to be terminated on the premises.
LenWeekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenWeekes
People end up in prison because they have committed a crime.
This is true for some people but AIUI a lot of people in prison are there on remand and until the trial takes place are 'innocent'.

To thine own self be true
BillGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42   #12
Resident Waffler

not forgettting the cell blockers that the government hasn't made its mind up what to do with - to deport or not to deport, that is the question.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28   #13

take away there playstaions, tv,s and bring back national service,this just be a small deterant.........................
whatsupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:50   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: No Room At The Inn (Prison)

Personally I wouldn’t like our armed forces to be made up, in part, from criminals whatsupp.

The modern soldier isn’t cannon fodder anymore. He and she, like his/her counter parts in the navy and air force are intelligent people who WANT to serve their country in the armed forces and have volunteered to do so.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59   #15

then another solution is to stop sending people there who quite really have done no wrong(eg parents who have tried to keep there kids in school but yet the kids still refuse to go ...)
whatsupp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..