Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2008, 10:24   #1
Give, give, give member

No TV licence required for 'martyrs'.

If you don't fancy forking out the £139.50 for a television licence, that funds the B.B.C., you can join the growing army of refuseniks who aren't paying for the licence, in the hope of being taken to court by the TVL, who collect the levy on behalf of the Beeb.

Strangely the B.B.C. seem reluctant to prosecute theses people, including Noel Edmonds, and Charles Moore of the Spectator, because it fears they will become 'martyrs'.

Apparently there are 2,000 people watching the box without a licence, all apparently free to do so without the fear of prosecution.

BBC shies from fight with licence rebels - Times Online

Is Mr. Blobby about to bring about the biggest change in television history for many years?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2008, 10:28   #2
K-P

Re: No TV licence required for 'martyrs'.

We need a licence ????

Old 19-11-2008, 10:58   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

must be n shortage of 'martyrs' in accy? every few months theres n abundance of dodgers in the observer, n they certainly aint.
Old 19-11-2008, 11:05   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If you don't fancy forking out the £139.50 for a television licence, that funds the B.B.C., you can join the growing army of refuseniks who aren't paying for the licence, in the hope of being taken to court by the TVL, who collect the levy on behalf of the Beeb.

Strangely the B.B.C. seem reluctant to prosecute theses people, including Noel Edmonds, and Charles Moore of the Spectator, because it fears they will become 'martyrs'.

Apparently there are 2,000 people watching the box without a licence, all apparently free to do so without the fear of prosecution.

BBC shies from fight with licence rebels - Times Online

Is Mr. Blobby about to bring about the biggest change in television history for many years?
Well if Noel Edmonds seriously wants to be a martyr, I'll nail him to a cross for a small fee
Old 19-11-2008, 11:06   #5
Give, give, give member

It seems to help if you're a famous non-payer.

Old 19-11-2008, 11:06   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well if Noel Edmonds seriously wants to be a martyr, I'll nail him to a cross for a small fee
Deal........

Old 19-11-2008, 12:30   #7

I actually wont have a TV now on principle. Haven’t had one for over 4 years and don’t miss it a bit. I have my Mac and the internet for all the news I need, plus any games and I would much rather spend the few spare hours I have reading rather than watch the absolute tripe that gets put on TV. I’m not in the slightest bit interested in who can dance or sing, how much talent Britain doesn’t have, cops chasing criminals or how some London snooty is re-wallpapering someone’s home. TV rots the mind and adds to the apathy of the masses.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 13:13   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: No TV licence required for 'martyrs'.

The TV License is a law thing. We are required by law to hold a valid TV license if we watch TV programmes on any equipment capable of receiving TV programmes broadcast by any means. Whether a person actually watches any programme or its quality or personal interest is irrelevant.

As a law we are bound to conform and those who do not should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law without fear or favour. Sadly that appears not to be the case.

I would point out to MikeSz and others with a similar view that one person’s crap is another person’s interesting programme.

I would agree that from my perspective there is a load of dross on TV but I have mastered the remote control and on/off switch and select from the numerous channels what interests me. It’s called “choice” and we can all exercise that choice.

TV doesn’t rot the mind unless you let it. There are multitudes of informative programmes. Sadly the majority follow each other like sheep and watch what most people watch because if they didn’t they wouldn’t have anything to gossip about the next day at work.
Old 19-11-2008, 13:15   #9
God Member

It's interesting how the licence fee is a flat rate. Not disimilar to how the poll tax was (other than the option to opt out).
Old 19-11-2008, 13:21   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The TV License is a law thing. We are required by law to hold a valid TV license if we watch TV programmes on any equipment capable of receiving TV programmes broadcast by any means. Whether a person actually watches any programme or its quality or personal interest is irrelevant.

As a law we are bound to conform and those who do not should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law without fear or favour. Sadly that appears not to be the case.
...and yet the TV Licencing body, who collect the levy on behalf of the B.B.C., seem unwilling to prosecute these high profile non-payers.

Odd that.

Old 19-11-2008, 15:24   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
if we watch TV programmes on any equipment capable of receiving TV programmes broadcast by any means.
Oh dear wrong again, I don't have a licence for the telly what I haven't got but I can watch T.V. programmes that are available from, for example the B.B.C. Iplayer, if it's available on that system I can watch without a licence, so, 'by whatever means' does not count, at the moment I'm safe to keep up with prog's until the law inevitably changes.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 16:11   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh dear wrong again, I don't have a licence for the telly what I haven't got but I can watch T.V. programmes that are available from, for example the B.B.C. Iplayer, if it's available on that system I can watch without a licence, so, 'by whatever means' does not count, at the moment I'm safe to keep up with prog's until the law inevitably changes.

Shussssssssssssssh Less you keep going on about it the licence snoops will only put a block on it
Old 21-11-2008, 13:50   #13

Just a few corrections for this:

Quote:
You are only required to have a license if you watch broadcast TV at the same time that it is broadcast to the rest of the public.

You do not need a license to watch pre recorded TV, DVD's, programs on the internet etc.

You do not need a license if you own a TV capable of receiving broadcast TV.

You only need a license if you "use" a TV to watch broadcast TV programs at the same time that it is broadcast. (now I'd use the word "broadcasted" there )

Quote:
As a law we are bound to conform and those who do not should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law without fear or favour.
You are quite correct, however we only have to obey the "law" and what the legal acts of parliament say, not what rubbish the TVLA would like us to believe we have to do.

Now I'm going to run & hide.

mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..