Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 13:23   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Nosmo King

I read yesterday that as from 1st July 2008 residents in care homes will no longer be allowed to smoke on the premises.

Prisoners will, of course, be allowed to continue puffing away to their heart’s content.

The “eradication of civil liberties” noose grows tighter and tighter.
Old 04-03-2008, 14:13   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Nosmo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I read yesterday that as from 1st July 2008 residents in care homes will no longer be allowed to smoke on the premises.

Prisoners will, of course, be allowed to continue puffing away to their heart’s content.

The “eradication of civil liberties” noose grows tighter and tighter.
what they gonna do? gaol em,they can have a fag then. seriously though more pathetic ideas from people who get paid for knowing buggar all.
Old 04-03-2008, 14:18   #3
Member.

Tis getting stupid I must admit. But not to worry all those Prisoners will be getting lots of tax payer’s money to fund their smoking cessation and health education classes.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 14:21   #4

I wonder if the care homes will attempt to wean these residents off smoking in the run up to the ban. Offer them patches, some sort of nicotine replacement therapy. I can’t see it somehow.

Bet some of the more sadistic employees are actually going to enjoy watch some residents suffer just that little bit more
Old 04-03-2008, 14:30   #5
Member.

They can't. Human rights and all that. Residential Care should be outcome based which puts rights and choices in the hands of the service user....

But this is a good example of a political system that's biting its own backside.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 04-03-2008, 14:37   #6
Member.

Strange how granny can’t have a fag because of inflicting noxious hazards on others, but we allow illegal immigrant criminals the right to say and commit further crimes in this country because they might be punished more severely in their own country, what I really love is they will have the right to smoke whilst doing time, yet those who face their closing years have to suffer incredible grief without the comfort of a fag in THEIR OWN HOMES.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 04-03-2008, 14:39   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I wonder if the care homes will attempt to wean these residents off smoking in the run up to the ban. Offer them patches, some sort of nicotine replacement therapy. I can’t see it somehow.

The simple answer is no!

T'owd ****** has always been a nuisance, stop him smoking? Don't be silly, he will live longer and we'll be stuck with him, (here you are grandad, have a quick puff on this while no-one is watching it will do us both some good).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 14:40   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

If that is true then it must be followed, before too long, with a ban on smoking in one's own home as a care home is home to the residents.

The whole situation is farcical in that we have a legal substance which can't be used in most places. Why don't they just make it illegal? Ah yes, with access to the continent so easy these days, "underground" supplies would come in and be sold on the streets. All that revenue being lost, that's why.
Old 04-03-2008, 14:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
If that is true then it must be followed, before too long, with a ban on smoking in one's own home as a care home is home to the residents.
The Council don’t want you to smoke in your own home now. They want the house to be smoke free for an hour before any Council visitor attends your home.
Old 04-03-2008, 14:47   #10
Resting in Peace

Are you sure this information is correct Jambutty, and not confusing with Mental Health Units which will change on 1st July ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 14:59   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Are you sure this information is correct Jambutty, and not confusing with Mental Health Units which will change on 1st July ?
What are you trying to say? What type of background do you think the big Butt' is from?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:06   #12
God Member

In addition, as of July 1st, police and ambulance services will not be required to enter any premises in response to a 999 call if they believe tobacco smoking has taken place within the previous hour.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:07   #13
Senior Member+

they will be providing them with oxygen soon so that they can enter if someones been smoking!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:10   #14
God Member

We had word on this forum recently that they are considering a £10 annual licence needed to buy tobacco products.

That could be the first stage of prohibition, followed by increasing restriction on the issue of such licences- ie 'no, you can't have one', followed by 'no-one can have one'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 15:22   #15
Member.

The thing is they are reducing revenue from smokers at the same time they are increasing funding for smoking cessation within the NHS. So who’s going to be filling the big hole in the big piggy bank at Westminster? What really is strange is we continue to encourage immigration and many of those new comers Smoke which means we’ll still be paying and suffering for years to come. Nice one Gordon Blaire.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..