Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2005, 19:07   #16
God Member

Re: not long to summer so...

I'm not keen on the flies. wasps etc, but I love summer, wish I could be home in the garden everyday, always feel like a beer when the sun shines, dont like the hot nights or the way the sun shining through the windows shows the dust!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2005, 19:11   #17
Beacon of light

Hay fever......yes and wasps. If it isn't slinky doing the mad 'flappy dance' then it'll be me.

When I was a nurse on night duty, I used to stand on the balcony of the 1968 wing at the Royal infirmary and watch all the revellers going home in the early hours of Sunday morning........I used to feel envious of them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 19:13   #18
Beacon of light

Oh......I forgot to say.... those big furry buzzard moths that seem to come in the bathroom window and dive bomb you just as you are about to sit down and wee!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 19:58   #19

Ewwww...I totally agree. Although they always get me when I am in the shower - I hate the darn things!
Old 16-04-2005, 20:32   #20
Senior Member+

I got stung on the back of the neck by a wasp last year on the way back from the MotoGP at Donington.

As you may have guessed, the main way of travelling to such an event is on two fast wheels, and when a wasp stings you while you are in control of a 1000cc motorbike, it is a very painful experience.

Lets just say that I managed to stay on the bike, but when I found the cause of my pain, it's life was quickly ended.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 21:41   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I was talking to a friend the other day and he was talking about how summer was on it's way because he had had his first outdoor drink of the year last Sunday, he said it was alright when the sun was out but still a bit cold in the shade.

My friend isn't from Accrington so I told him that if ever he comes here he would be able to meet a really nice crowd of people that could be found 365 days a year sitting on a bench drinking cider outside the Town Hall, I also said if he went up to them I'm sure they would let him have a drink from their cans.

He was surprised, he said they really get around don't they? I see them on a bench outside my town hall!

I told him they must be a different set of drinkers because our councillors won't go anywhere else unless they are on expenses!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 13:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I got stung on the back of the neck by a wasp last year on the way back from the MotoGP at Donington.

As you may have guessed, the main way of travelling to such an event is on two fast wheels, and when a wasp stings you while you are in control of a 1000cc motorbike, it is a very painful experience.

Lets just say that I managed to stay on the bike, but when I found the cause of my pain, it's life was quickly ended.
the wasp that got me did not last very long either very painfull and i had to wait about 3 hours to get to a chemist for some spray to ease the pain.

and you stuck on 2 wheels i feel sorry for you!
Old 18-04-2005, 05:40   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Dislike - Working 27 days in a row in July without a day off. 16 of them between 10 and 12 hour days in a row.

Like - Getting my wage after the 16 10-12 hour days
Old 19-04-2005, 18:41   #24

Like the majority of folks don't like the wasps, if you get stung miles away from a chemist nip in the nearest pub ask for some ice or even viniger then apply either whilst having a cold beer/lager.

Don't like not been able to sleep at night for the heat (but it's worth it.)
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 20:00   #25
Senior Member+

Agreed about the heat Sara - last year I was able to spend a lot of time in the garden. Hopefully I'll be able to spend even more time if I ever get the wireless network up and running!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2005, 17:08   #26

Having to start cleaning up after spending a lovely day in the sun.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2005, 17:32   #27
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have to say that I love summer. I do agree about having to go to work on nights when everyone is enjoying a cold one. The sun starts to come up at about 4am and lulls you into a false sense that your shift is almost finished, when in reality I still have another 4 hours to go. I'm not keen on wasps but after a very malicious and uncalled for stinging a few years ago, I have become very adept at clubbing them to death will a rolled up copy of the Accy Observer Hate midges though.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 11:43   #28
Resting in peace

Summer in London is great for about two days - then it gets sticky and airless, and I long to be up in Ossy.

What I REALLY hate is getting a miserable, cold, grey, Summer, not a proper one at all. Having to wear a cardie every day in July/August is miserable. HOT is what we want.

The other thing is midges/gnats/mosquitoes - they ADORE me, I hate them, and have terrible reactions (swellings the size of dinner plates, etc) - I don't like having to cover myself with jungle strength insect repellent just to sit in the garden with a gin! Think I'll start a thread ......
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 12:06   #29
God Member

[QUOTE=pendy

What I REALLY hate is getting a miserable, cold, grey, Summer, not a proper one at all. Having to wear a cardie every day in July/August is miserable. HOT is what we want.

[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean pendy.........it has been like that the last couple of days. I was inside yesterday and thought ''it looks warm outside'' and went and put a t.shirt on but, when I got outside the breeze was quite cold, so I soon went in and put my jumper back on.
The other thing about summer I hate is not being able to keep my doors open as my house soon turns into a hotel for unwanted none paying pests...........yes you guessed it WASPs

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 12:23   #30
Give, give, give member

Agree with you Pendy, summer in London is something l don't miss. Yellow skies, emerging from the tube wet through after spending a quarter of an hour in a metal box, with temperatures sometimes being recorded as 130 degrees Centigrade. The people also turn into firey Latinos with everyone arguing on the streets. The only answer was to find a pub with a garden and not go home at the end of the day at all.

Two summers ago when l was living in Glasgow, while you lot enjoyed a great summer in England we had months of rain, and we had sleet in August!

Oh well, l have high expectations of this summer.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..