Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 22:45   #166
God Member

Re: Now...This is silly and a complete waste of time

I'm surprised Andrewb..the new upcoming Billy hague has not informed all the ex-pat Tories with this...Make your voice heard - Telegraph
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2009, 09:11   #167
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I'm surprised Andrewb..the new upcoming Billy hague has not informed all the ex-pat Tories with this...Make your voice heard - Telegraph
Anybody living abroad is entitled to a vote at a general election, or the used to be able to in the days when I was active. They are allowed to vote for whom they want Tory, Labour, Lib/dem, or MRLP, that vote entitlement is at their last UK registered address. This is in much the same way as other people from other countries vote at their elections back home, Yanks Aussies etc.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I've read it already ..I'm not talking about local elections but please enlighten me..you can vote in a General Election for the MP for Hyndburn?...
Not doubt living in London Mancie you will be registered to vote where you live, there are people who have two UK addresses, no doubt Greg is one, but you can only use one vote at general elections. If you pay council tax at both properties you used to be able to vote in both elections at local council level, but as I say electoral law changes all the time and not having been active since 2001 I don't know what the position is. I only know the election law is a mine field, and holds server punishment for those found deliberately breaking these laws.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post

We only have a budget of £2000 for the three streets, so it won't be resurfaced to the standard of an adopted street. But it will be a lot better than it is now.

What we are hoping to do in Peel Ward could also be done in other area's if their area council chose to spend what money they have in this way.
Just wondered what heading this £2,000 budget has Robert ? Is it specifically for helping residents on unadopted roads ? Know not much though in the grand scheme of things.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:09   #170
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I will try to remember to ask him tomorrow if it's really him!
...and?

Did you ask if TheLeadersOffice HBC is Councillor Britcliffe, or is being used by someone else to issue statements on his behalf?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:56   #171
God Member

Sorry, I forgot to reply.

I did ask Councillor Britcliffe if the posts from the Leaders Office came from his own fair hands tippy tapping on the keyboard and he said that yes - they are from him personally.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59   #172
Beacon of light

Well, then he should write them like they are from him then....and not dictated to some secretary to pass on to us.......does he realise how daft that makes him look?
Stupid question really as the answer is in what he has already posted.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Sorry, I forgot to reply.

I did ask Councillor Britcliffe if the posts from the Leaders Office came from his own fair hands tippy tapping on the keyboard and he said that yes - they are from him personally.
Ok, thanks for that.

Though it's still a little odd the post in this thread issued a statement on behalf of Cllr. Britcliffe. Saying he 'has issued the following statement...', and going on to use quotation marks for what he said.

It reminds me of when Mrs. Thatcher said 'we have becaome a grandmother'.

Last edited by andrewb; 09-04-2009 at 13:18. Reason: Personal insults
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:48   #174
Senior Member+

To be honest I just want to make Peel better, and the Borough should we be given a chance. All this back stabbing and points scoring just drags myself/labour into it.

Annie Street and the others, are jobs that need doing for a small amount of £. And all the other countless jobs in Peel, that's what I want to concentrate on.

The Tories can't stop themselves and sometimes I am guilty of responding which always ends up at their level.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22   #175
Beacon of light

When we vote in the local elections, we all hope that our choice of councillor will benefit the local community and of course the local environment.
When someone like Graham, who works tirelessly for his ward and is shot down, despite appearing by all reports from people who were at the actual meeting and confirm the veracity of his statments of events, then we can only assume that it is a point scoring/mud slinging exercise.
shame on them.
Old 09-04-2009, 14:21   #176
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered what heading this £2,000 budget has Robert ? Is it specifically for helping residents on unadopted roads ? Know not much though in the grand scheme of things.
Its Area Council funding Kate. Each area council has set amount of capital funding to spend on projects in Barnfield and Peel

Peel and Barnfield area council decided to spend some of the funding on Hodder St, Annie St, and Manor St.

P.S Wish people would stop calling me Robert. I have tried to change it, but I haven't been too successful yet
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 14:59   #177
Beacon of light

Ask one of the mods to be allowed to change your name.......Andrew was online, he should be able to help you.
Apologies for the thread wander.
Old 09-04-2009, 15:59   #178
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
Its Area Council funding Kate. Each area council has set amount of capital funding to spend on projects in Barnfield and Peel

Peel and Barnfield area council decided to spend some of the funding on Hodder St, Annie St, and Manor St.

P.S Wish people would stop calling me Robert. I have tried to change it, but I haven't been too successful yet
I've always called you Bernard, Robert
Old 09-04-2009, 16:58   #179
Senior Member+

Let's just clear this up as a sequence of events
1. Residents continually request in numbers for unadopted streets to be done up
2. HBC and LCC won't budget for it (there's too many).
3. The Area Council has a small budget
4. 12-18 months ago the issue was raised at Area Council and a) I did not declare a personal interest at the beginning because it was not on the agenda b) I spoke to it referring to Annie and Manor saying I was in favour of unadopted streets seeing some improvements but it was difficult for me to talk about Hodder Street because I lived there.
5. It came up several times and I did not declare a personal interest at the beginning but repeated in public to the meeting, It is difficult for me to talk about Hodder Street because I live there. Then went on to talk about unadopted roads in Peel, the volume of complaints.
6. Bernard put forward the idea of works with me (Annie Street & Manor Street) - this is where it get's silly because you can't separate them easily in a discussion. I agreed that the unadopted roads needed some small works but again "it is difficult because I live on 1 of the 3 - I agreed in principle that works should be done on adopted roads". I think this is ridiculous because how do you separate the 3 in a full on public debate that's whirling around other than "I live on Hoddder street and I can't talk about that one in particular"? My partner has attended a couple, teh one's Barton and Dobson refer to and she say's I did say clearly to everyone there. "I live on Hodder Street so it is difficult for me to talk about Hodder".
7. Under the rules, personal interest does not apply when it it is only part of a bigger decision.
8. At the public meetings I continued to say, "It is difficult to talk about because I live on Hodder Street.
9. The Area Council's are no longer part of the Council technically we were told, they are advisory bodies (Therefore able to discuss all matters regardless - like in the pub). This was because as part of the Council the Chairs could speak at Full Council and seeing as Labour areas had Labour Chairs, Councillor Britcliffe wanted that stopped and they were downgraded as I was told.
10. When the officer responsible went out to get quotes and agreement papers were drafted, I stepped totally outside of the voting and decision making
11. At every one of the last 10 points, Cllrs Dobson and Barton were present, agreed with the scheme, approved it with a show of hands and said nothing to me or anyone else.
12. I put by name forward for County Council and a restrospective allegation appears dating back to something over 12 months ago.

The top and bottom I did a play a role. I did say every time where I lived. I never said Hodder should be done up, no one then, public or council official or Tory thought anything of it at the time to complain. No-one in Peel does now. There is a fine line but where ever that line is I have been totally honest. It is like saying I can't report the street light that is broken outside my house.

Finally - I do a lot in Peel. Unadopted roads are a small element of the work right across Peel. The Tory narrative was slanted to 'only does things for himself' when the opposite is true. I put myself last. That is just disgusting sleeze but its standard under the current Leader.

This is about The County Council Elections - putting my name forward/Labour Leadership, let's throw mud and believe this has come from the top. To give credit to Cllr Paul Barton, this is not his sort of thing I am surprised, but it seems he's been sucked in from above because he is standing in June to.

Last edited by g jones; 09-04-2009 at 17:05.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 17:54   #180
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Like I said Graham, as long as you did everything right there is nothing to answer. You know how it works, someone puts in a complaint, it is acted on and a result comes from it. From what you said I am sure the result will be in your favour.

I still do not agree with Area Councils bodging up unadopted roads. They should be done properly by LCC and adopted. Even if they repaired and adopted one a year in Hyndburn or even one every other year at least they would get sorted.

What is the cost to bring each of these roads up to standard so they are adopted by LCC?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..