Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 09:01   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Now...This is silly and a complete waste of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The money still comes from HBC so I don't agree with it being used for roads. Roads are LCC responsibility. Unadopted roads are the responsibility of the house holder.

It would be like me asking HBC to tarmac my drive
Most unadopted roads are not just used by the householders who live there. The top of Hodder St for example has cars going up and down it all day.

I think you will find that unadopted roads in other parts of the borough can also be quite busy with traffic.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2009, 09:18   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
Most unadopted roads are not just used by the householders who live there. The top of Hodder St for example has cars going up and down it all day.

I think you will find that unadopted roads in other parts of the borough can also be quite busy with traffic.
I hear what your saying Bernard, as we both know unadopted roads are a pain in the backside for local councils always have been, always will be, but the fact is that road repairs are the responsibility of LCC. If they are not going to take these roads on board as their total responsibility, they could at least fill in the pot holes from time to time, my main problem is just what use will £2000 be in the scheme of things, it will be status quo within weeks of any work being carried out
Old 07-04-2009, 18:19   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I hear what your saying Bernard, as we both know unadopted roads are a pain in the backside for local councils always have been, always will be, but the fact is that road repairs are the responsibility of LCC. If they are not going to take these roads on board as their total responsibility, they could at least fill in the pot holes from time to time, my main problem is just what use will £2000 be in the scheme of things, it will be status quo within weeks of any work being carried out
Thing is not LCC's responsiblity Jaysay, are there to maintain .. not new lay particularly .. has to be in a decent enough state to start with for them to adopt it.

Other taxpayers may complain as per this article from Burnley :-

Council 'wasting' £26,000 repairing unadopted Burnley road (From Lancashire Telegraph)
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 18:19   #124
Senior Member+

No one's come forward with a pot of money to tarmac our unadopted road to the cricket club but I am not gonna bleat about it, at least 3 roads will be more usable, I think that is progress of sorts since some of these unadopted road battles have been going on for over 30 years.
Old 07-04-2009, 18:23   #125
Resting in Peace

The only point I would query with Cllr Jones is that has he explained the position to the other residents in Hodder Street and to try and get them to contribute to improvement ?
Old 07-04-2009, 18:25   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
No one's come forward with a pot of money to tarmac our unadopted road to the cricket club but I am not gonna bleat about it, at least 3 roads will be more usable, I think that is progress of sorts since some of these unadopted road battles have been going on for over 30 years.
Is it listed as an unadopted road Lindsay ? as doesn't really go anywhere but the Cricket Club (so not of great importance to movement of traffic) .. does it belong to the Club then ?

Hasn't even got a street name has it ?

Last edited by katex; 07-04-2009 at 18:30.
Old 07-04-2009, 19:02   #127
Resting in Peace

Does smack of a private road Lindsay .. in which case, haven't got a cat in hell's chance to get funding from HBC. Only my assumption of course.

Would probably have to raise the funding yourselves, or apply for a grant from HBC who do contribute to Accy Stanley ! (my council tax) .. so why not the Cricket Club (maybe they do though, don't know ? ).

Think the cricket club is just as important, have produced some great cricketers.
Old 07-04-2009, 19:08   #128
Senior Member+

Not sure Kate, it's an extension of Thorneyholme Road I suppose, the land on either side is County Council owned, but enough traffic uses it and the Lions Bonfire down there is always a draw, albeit a bit treacherous with the potholes and no lighting! Just adds to the atmosphere!
Old 07-04-2009, 19:28   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Not sure Kate, it's an extension of Thorneyholme Road I suppose, the land on either side is County Council owned, but enough traffic uses it and the Lions Bonfire down there is always a draw, albeit a bit treacherous with the potholes and no lighting! Just adds to the atmosphere!
Not moving traffic though, only private traffic if you understand me. Not an extension of Thorneyholme Road at all, this turns at the top of 'the path'.
Old 07-04-2009, 21:09   #130
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=katex;701813]The only point I would query with Cllr Jones is that has he explained the position to the other residents in Hodder Street and to try and get them to contribute to improvement ?[/QUOTE

Kate. The council has tried this in the past not Hodder St, but it's a completely different ball game when you start asking residents for a contribution.

Everybody has to agree to make a contribution to the scheme. Although we got about 50% agreeing, it wasn't enough.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 22:06   #131
Resting in Peace

[quote=Robert Owen;701912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The only point I would query with Cllr Jones is that has he explained the position to the other residents in Hodder Street and to try and get them to contribute to improvement ?[/QUOTE

Kate. The council has tried this in the past not Hodder St, but it's a completely different ball game when you start asking residents for a contribution.

Everybody has to agree to make a contribution to the scheme. Although we got about 50% agreeing, it wasn't enough.
Understand this ... has to be 100%. Just asking if you had asked.

Would possibly complain as a tax payer that money is going to this project, unless it can be proved that these roads are causing problems, e.g. health and safety through drainage, heavy traffic necessary to get from A > B, deterioration of properties, etc.

Hodder Street and Manor Street may have a case ... Annie Street .. no, of no use to other constituents at all, not even wide enough for cars to pass, as you well know being brought up parallel to it ... as myself ...

It's sorta' sad really, that when people buy houses on these roads, they do not appear to have been made fully aware of what an unadopted road entails.
Old 08-04-2009, 00:18   #132
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's sorta' sad really, that when people buy houses on these roads, they do not appear to have been made fully aware of what an unadopted road entails.
I think there'd be a riot if they tried to adopt our road.

It's in a better state of repair than nearby adopted streets.

Can't afford a trip to Blackpool?

Drive towards the Bargain Booze carpark, coming off Union Road.

Plenty of thrills and spills to be had.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 00:26   #133
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

i find that difficult to get me head around, having bought 8 houses in me time,the solicitor goes through all the bumf meticulously in my case anyway, bought a bungalow early 90s he took great pains to tell me i could not keep pigs, hens, indeed any livestock in me garden. so i said thats it i don't want it, was only kidding but worth it to see his n me wifes faces.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
The only point I would query with Cllr Jones is that has he explained the position to the other residents in Hodder Street and to try and get them to contribute to improvement ?
First off, this project is one of dozens throughout Peel. A job that needs doing by someone who cares about the area and all the residents on every street.

They have been told all the way that I will raise the issue as requested but when 'push comes to shove' and we have costings I won't vote. That's more like a personal interest. They are saying it is prejudicial. Every public / private meeting I say the same thing. I live on Hodder Street.

People have had months to raise this issue and no-one has EXCEPT 2 Tories including Paul Barton who is standing against myself on the 4 June in the County Council Elections. Not only that but Cllrs Barton, Dobson, and Bernard (Dawson) voted FOR the improvements at the time and said nothing to Bernard or myself.

This is simply myself and Bernard working hard for all of Peel. See pic. See letter to residents below.

g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59   #135
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I presume that when the proposal was made the rest of the councillors knew where Graham lived.
That was confusing me as I always thought Graham lived on Cedar Street and not Hodder Street. The name stuck in my head as i used to work with a bloke from Cedar Street. When you look on HBC website it still says he does. You would think they would update the website when a Councillor moves.

Maybe time for whoever is responsible for the HBC website to check all the Councillors addresses as I think there is another one that is out of date as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..