Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2007, 08:17   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Paedophiles and Chemical castration.

I am very mistrusting of statistics......they can be portrayed to mean anything and are too easy to manipulate. Especially by governemnt departments who want the electorate to think they are doing well.....when actually they aren't.
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2007, 08:22   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am very mistrusting of statistics......they can be portrayed to mean anything and are too easy to manipulate. Especially by governemnt departments who want the electorate to think they are doing well.....when actually they aren't.
Its easy to manipulate statistics but I would expect the government wouldnt say 3% of criminals in prison are paedophiles. They would more likely put forward that, for example only, 98% paedophiles are in prison, only 2% remain in society etc.

More children are seen to be sexually abusing others for a good reason and youa re indeed right, its not because of manipulation as such but change in whats acceptable for a child to do in sexual experimentation. Its a shame I dont have someone to verify my age because I have a good example of this change of acceptance but the article has some terms and a picture that some people wont like their children to see so it'd be more suited in the 18+ section.
Old 15-06-2007, 08:29   #93
Beacon of light

Blazey, I wasn't disputing the 3%......just statistics in general.
I think it was Cashman who said that there are too many paedophiles in high places for paedophilia to be wiped out......and I think he might be right on that one......maybe judges covering up for one another.....look at the policeman who was involved with the Soham murders...and it turned out he had some connection with paedophilia too.
You talk about post-modernist society....what do you think are the answers to this problem. I am not putting you on the spot here, but I would like to hear what the perspective of a younger person is....to what is a crime that ruins young lives.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-06-2007 at 08:30. Reason: typo
Old 15-06-2007, 08:41   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Blazey, I wasn't disputing the 3%......just statistics in general.
I think it was Cashman who said that there are too many paedophiles in high places for paedophilia to be wiped out......and I think he might be right on that one......maybe judges covering up for one another.....look at the policeman who was involved with the Soham murders...and it turned out he had some connection with paedophilia too.
You talk about post-modernist society....what do you think are the answers to this problem. I am not putting you on the spot here, but I would like to hear what the perspective of a younger person is....to what is a crime that ruins young lives.
I was giving you an example of how the government would manipulate that statistic even further for their own benefit.

Post modernist society isnt a problem as its main factors are based on consumerism and materialism anyway not crime.

I think obviously paedophilia is a problem but over time solutions arise to crimes like this. Chemical castration is a good new medical way of helping cut down paedophilia, it should be forced on people if sterilization can be forced on mental patients, otherwise its giving more human rights to the paedophiles than people suffering from other mental problems.

I believe paedophilia will be eventually recognised completely by scientists as a mental defect, its treated as one in some areas of the law already, so forced medication shouldnt be a problem.

I think the prison system is the biggest problem and it is in need of funding to provide bigger prisons, more space and better organisation. For the time being there should be a 'clearing out' of petty criminals, they can be moved to secure accomodation and tagged, and those who need to be behind bars until a law is made for chemical castration of those at least willing should be given a chance.
I can imagine many paedophiles behind bars would jump at the chance to be normal and out of prison, so I should think the number of child attackers would be reasonably decreased after a short period. The only risk is that if it doesnt work as well as they intend and they make a mistake.
Old 15-06-2007, 09:07   #95
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Paedophilia is a difficult one. It is a recognised mental illness and has been for donkey's years. Places like Brockhall and Calderstones used to be full of paedophiles. It is incurable and I highly doubt that chemical castration will work long term, even on a voluntary basis. Drugs always have side effects and the more powerful the drug the more unpleasant the side effects usually are. I think that even voluntary candidates for the drug will get fed up with the side effects and eventually stop taking them.

There is no easy answer to this problem, let's face it, it has been a problem for hundreds of years, if there were an easy solution it would have been found by now.

It would be great for parents if they knew where the paedophiles were, but if people were informed of paedophiles in their area then the paedos would just move on and the police may lose track of them. Let's face it, it is not hard to disappear in this country, thousands of illegal immigrants manage to do just that every year.

Historically, most sexually abused children are abused by somebody they know, whether it is uncle Albert, aunty Betty, a neighbour or friend of the family. To my knowledge, this is still the case..

As I said, there is no easy answer.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 15-06-2007, 09:13   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Paedophilia is a difficult one. It is a recognised mental illness and has been for donkey's years. Places like Brockhall and Calderstones used to be full of paedophiles. It is incurable and I highly doubt that chemical castration will work long term, even on a voluntary basis. Drugs always have side effects and the more powerful the drug the more unpleasant the side effects usually are. I think that even voluntary candidates for the drug will get fed up with the side effects and eventually stop taking them.

There is no easy answer to this problem, let's face it, it has been a problem for hundreds of years, if there were an easy solution it would have been found by now.

It would be great for parents if they knew where the paedophiles were, but if people were informed of paedophiles in their area then the paedos would just move on and the police may lose track of them. Let's face it, it is not hard to disappear in this country, thousands of illegal immigrants manage to do just that every year.

Historically, most sexually abused children are abused by somebody they know, whether it is uncle Albert, aunty Betty, a neighbour or friend of the family. To my knowledge, this is still the case..

As I said, there is no easy answer.
Although once they see the benefits of not feeling the impulses towards children they may be able to be counsilled and persuaded to opt for long term solution - actual castration. So it still may have some benefits, they'll never really know until its put into practice.
Old 15-06-2007, 10:59   #97
Beacon of light

Blazey, thanks for taking time to answer my question...it is definitely a thorny old problem.
Old 15-06-2007, 12:27   #98
Resting in peace

Just finished reading this most interesting thread Margaret, quite a hornets nest has been stirred here, one thing I have noticed is that a lot of twaddle has been written about these despicable perverts, as usually is, and not enough about the affect it has on their victims. Convicted paedofiles should be castrated as a matter of course,(the old fashioned way), and more money and attention focussed on repairing the damaged lives they have left behind. The sad fact is that most, if not all of their victims, never recover from the despicable acts perpetrated upon them.
Old 15-06-2007, 12:40   #99
Beacon of light

Like everything else Ianto.....the things we don't subscribe to are invariably designated as 'twaddle'......there are always going to be diverse views on something which is as emotive as this......and I think that is good to have a discussion where folk can air their views.....and feel comfortable in doing that.

It amazes me that we have developed so much in technology and science and yet we can't come up with what is seen as an acceptable way to deal with such problems.
Old 15-06-2007, 12:41   #100
Beacon of light

And as in ALL crimes, very little respect is afforded to the victims....they are seen as incidental, yet their lives may be damaged beyond repair.
Old 15-06-2007, 13:02   #101
Resting in peace

I did not mean to criticize the raising of the subject Margaret, it's as you say a thorny one and should be aired, some of the contributors seem to have a rather apologetic attitude towards these perverts, in my opinion there is no excuse for taking advantage of younger impressionable children, whatever age the perpetrators are. These people are sick and need dealing with, if chemical castration works then so be it, if they persist in this sick behaviour then 'prune' them completely.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 15-06-2007 at 13:06.
Old 15-06-2007, 13:09   #102
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
These people are sick and need dealing with, if chemical castration works then so be it, if they persist in this sick behaviour then 'prune' them completely.
ere, ere Ianto
chop off the lot is what i say!
Old 15-06-2007, 13:25   #103
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I did not mean to criticize the raising of the subject Margaret, it's as you say a thorny one and should be aired, some of the contributors seem to have a rather apologetic attitude towards these perverts, in my opinion there is no excuse for taking advantage of younger impressionable children, whatever age the perpetrators are. These people are sick and need dealing with, if chemical castration works then so be it, if they persist in this sick behaviour then 'prune' them completely.
Oh I didn't see it as implied criticism.......I saw it as your own view, aired in your own way....and some of the posts which you see as 'apologetic' are also the posters own views....and though we all may have differing views, I feel that the airing of them is healthy.

I haven't really aired my view. I think that paedophilia is reprehensible, and that the perpetrators are mentally sick.....as for treatment, I think that once a person has been convicted/diagnosed (however you want to put it) then all means of curbing their sexual appetites are up for discussion.....and the best available treatment must be used, and if that is
surgical castration, then so be it.
Like Lettie, I think that volunteering for chemical castration is fraught with difficulties and should perhaps only be used for the short term i.e - perhaps whilst awaiting surgical castration.
As for 'chopping the lot off'....the penis has no influence over sexual urges...more the other way round.
There you have it. I hope it doesn't sound too apologetic or too radical either......I have tried to be balanced but also to take into consideration the terrible damage this crime does to its victims.
Old 15-06-2007, 13:30   #104
Resting in Peace

As for 'chopping the lot off'....the penis has no influence over sexual urges...more the other way round.

what you going to "CHOP off a women"? they abuse children too
Old 15-06-2007, 13:32   #105
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

true mick, you have a point there!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..